RaidersAreOne

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly vs. that LA team

Add Lawson snap count to the list of bad things.

Thank god Arnette comes back this week. 

Joyney saw some snaps at Safety against the Chargers. It pretty much stopped once Mullen went out. Arnette coming back should allow that to happen a lot more. 

Edited by agarcia34

16 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Solid win... Carr, Agholor, Jacobs/Booker mix (Booker looks terrific), OL outside of RT, and play calling was terrific outside of some conservative bs at the end.

9-7 and a playoff spot finally looks within reach. Really didn't think we'd get there this year. We should be able to: Split with Denver, Split with Indy/Mia, Split with Atl/NYJ, and hopefully sweep the Chargers. That would be 9-7. 8-8 is still possible but 9-7 is more likely at this point. Playoffs baby, let's go.

Anything can happen, but less than 10-6 with that schedule and I'll be disappointed.  

• Like 1

i just want to put Erik Harris, Nick Morrow and Maliek Collins in the ugly group. Once we upgrade from those 3 our defense will be massively better off. Those guys are backups at best and they are playing big snaps for us every week. Also, why the hell did we trade for McMillian? I was happy with the move because i though it marked the end of Morrow, but he has McMIllan has barely played. It looks like another wasted pick at this point. 

Good

- Carr's third quarter. The bomb to Agholor, the bomb to Renfrow, the big scramble/leap, and the short TD to Waller. Think he really wanted to make up for that soft fumble at the end of the half. Yes, it was soft. I know he didnt see it coming but his ball security is laughable. He seems to fumble at the slightest contact. But that third qurater more than made up for it.

- Running backs continued to churn good results.

- Nick Kwiatkoski was the only guy making consistent plays on D

- Crosby teeing off on the Chargers as usual

- Isaiah Johnson comes out of nowhere to make 2 huge game-saving plays that showed great effort and technique of playing through the hands

Bad

- Tackle play was poor as expected, meaning the offense was pretty scared to give Carr many deep drops. It explained why they ran the ball on 3rd and 10 early.

- Coverage against Keenan Allen is always difficult, but it looked far too easy all game

- Cory Littleton continues to disappoint. His hold against Hunter Henry is a microcism of his season. Supposed to be the coverage guy, but just can't do it.

- Not being able to do anything with the muffed punt.

Ugly

- Almost losing to this Chargers team despite them gifting us a muffed punt.

- Another Waller drop... getting frustrating. Reminds me of Ricky Dudley lol

- Corner/tackle depth looking really suspect. I really don't understand what these guys saw in Sam Young, or how David Sharpe could possibly have looked worse.

• Like 1

With our LBs disappointing aside from Kwiat, I wonder why we haven't seen much of Raekwon McMillan. Obviously we're going to keep Littleton on the field but with Morrow not being any good you'd think McM would see more than one snap at least. Disappointing to see him on the SL.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

With our LBs disappointing aside from Kwiat, I wonder why we haven't seen much of Raekwon McMillan. Obviously we're going to keep Littleton on the field but with Morrow not being any good you'd think McM would see more than one snap at least. Disappointing to see him on the SL.

And we traded for him. I dont get it. I mean is he really worse than morrow by that much. He is a thumper supposedly right. Morrow plays over him in goalline defense to. 

Just now, dante9876 said:

And we traded for him. I dont get it. I mean is he really worse than morrow by that much. He is a thumper supposedly right. Morrow plays over him in goalline defense to. 

That's crazy to hear. McMillan was advertised as a damn good run defender in Miami and college. A few things annoy me about how we utilize players.  Ideally I'd love to see Joyner at FS, keep Ferrel at DE (stop moving him inside), McM get more PT, reduce Collin's PT, etc.

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

As a couple of people have alluded to, I thought Ferrel look very good - on the outside anyway!!!!

What is so frustrating is that we seem to have some potential pieces to have a competitive defense but it is let down by awful personnel decisions, bad okay calling and just how shockingly poor the non impactful players we keep rolling out are.

A defense of:

—Crosby—Hankins—???—Ferrell

————???——Kwit——Littleton

Mullen——Joyner——Abram——Arnette 

looks fairly solid to me. Not world beating, but competitive. It’s just that a) the ??? are so bad (Collins particularly) b) they insist on playing Joyner at nickel, which in turn means Harris continues to be trotted out even though he is the most pointless player I’ve ever seen c) Ferrell keeps being moved inside when he hasn’t shown a single thing inside and has begin to make some plays outside (bizarre assessment by the coaches) d) I have no idea what is going on with Littleton - I can only guess from the evidence above that he is being miscast and the role he has been given is not natural to him. He looks confused and disinterested.

Perhaps I am being naive, but I honestly see some decent pieces there. Please let us make a coaching change at the end of the season

• Like 2

Vic:

Didn't sound like Sunday hero Isaiah Johnson moved up the depth chart. Gruden: "He is still a work in progress, but he is making progress. Still some things he needs to clean up."

14 hours ago, reddevil said:

As a couple of people have alluded to, I thought Ferrel look very good - on the outside anyway!!!!

What is so frustrating is that we seem to have some potential pieces to have a competitive defense but it is let down by awful personnel decisions, bad okay calling and just how shockingly poor the non impactful players we keep rolling out are.

A defense of:

—Crosby—Hankins—???—Ferrell

————???——Kwit——Littleton

Mullen——Joyner——Abram——Arnette 

looks fairly solid to me. Not world beating, but competitive. It’s just that a) the ??? are so bad (Collins particularly) b) they insist on playing Joyner at nickel, which in turn means Harris continues to be trotted out even though he is the most pointless player I’ve ever seen c) Ferrell keeps being moved inside when he hasn’t shown a single thing inside and has begin to make some plays outside (bizarre assessment by the coaches) d) I have no idea what is going on with Littleton - I can only guess from the evidence above that he is being miscast and the role he has been given is not natural to him. He looks confused and disinterested.

Perhaps I am being naive, but I honestly see some decent pieces there. Please let us make a coaching change at the end of the season

Good post! I too am frustrated by the seemingly obvious moves that we again and again fail to make. The ones noted above just seem so sensible; keep Ferrell outside, Put Joyner at FS, Replace Collins, play McMillan on run downs.........

I think those 4 moves alone would make a difference, then add a few wrinkles to the scheme and this ought to be at least a solid, middle of the pack D. I'd be inclined to say stubborness is the problem but we've had no problem moving on from guys like Bowden and Hall so I really dont know what we're thinking........... 

I do not know which drop people keep talking about with Waller but the only one I saw was a bad throw that was 2 feet behind him even after he almost slowed to a stop.  It is easily possible that I missed another one because I did not get to watch the entire game.  The one I saw the announcers said he should have caught it and it was possible because he got his hands on it but it was a late bad throw.  If Carr hits him in stride it is an easy 1st down plus more.  The throw was so late he would have had to throw it easily 6 more feet to the right.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Vic:

Didn't sound like Sunday hero Isaiah Johnson moved up the depth chart. Gruden: "He is still a work in progress, but he is making progress. Still some things he needs to clean up."

That's fair. He was drafted as a project, but at least it's nice to know he won't be a liability when forced to play. 

I've re-watched the game mainly focusing on the defence and Brandon Parker:

Brandon Parker - imo is a huge liability in pass coverage and was beat multiple times until the Raiders starting sending chips his way. Still happy he got the experience though...

Littleton - Wasn't actually as bad as I thought he was. He didn't make any plays, and was beat a few times in man coverage... but other than biting on an early fake-handoff rollout and the missed tackle late he did a good job of plugging his gaps, forcing plays inside, and sticking with his man. He is definitively a finesse player and not very physical. 

*I've never actually watched him play outside of the Raiders so can't really say how he was used with the Rams to make impact plays...

Joyner - Didn't look bad out there... was pretty good at recognising the play and the times where he appeared beat was gaps in the zone and releasing a target to pickup another.

Ferrell - Really did have a great game, always controls his gap, got multiple pressures and came close to a few sacks. I counted 8 plays where he kicked inside and Crosby took his place and a few of them he collapsed the pocket. Most came on the last drive and I guess it's just they think they're putting the best rush line out there :/ 

Crosby - Should be a rotation piece at this point. A bit of a liability in the run game not controlling his gap.

Vickers - Didn't really see much in the run game but does a really good job shooting a gap and using rip moves... should easily be above Collins at this point.

DLine as a whole - Other than Crosby and Collins they're actually really disciplined... adding consistent interior pressure would do so much... They look really awkward on stunts and the only one that can do a decent spin move is Ferrell...

Safeties - Erik Harris is a ghost and doesn't do anything or help anyone. Abram, love him and is without a doubt the tone setter on the defence, but I'm pretty sure he blew a few coverages that resulted in TDs + add in the play he could have swatted... 

PG - I'm not sure how much blame I can put on PG for the poor performance defensively as it looked like big plays came from blown assignments and poor gap control. I  guess allowing them to march down the field with easy completions underneath is on him, but then there were a few missed tackles by the players...

• I blame him for how the defence never seems ready for 3 WRs lined up on one side though. It's guaranteed the Raiders are confused on who is covering who. The really need to adopt a coverage where the outside man covers the first out and the inside man covers first inside instead  of just manning up and running into each other.

Other stuff

• Every time we blitzed multiple LBs they picked it up with ease
  • Ferrell comes out on 3 man rushes
  • Morrow was in instead of Kwit on the last drive which I guess is purely because of speed... Kwit actually does alright in coverage and tackles for short gains imo

Qs:

• For the 4th & 1 pitch to the right TD they scored in the 2nd quarter, who was to blame / what should have been called? Looked like a perfect call and execution by them...
  • For their second TD, is that a blown coverage by Abram?
  • 4th quarter TD, who's to blame on that? Was it Morrow abandoning his side, blaming Ferrell for falling would seem a bit much...

• Like 2