The Good, the Bad and the Ugly vs. that LA team

RaidersAreOne

47 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I do not know which drop people keep talking about with Waller but the only one I saw was a bad throw that was 2 feet behind him even after he almost slowed to a stop.  It is easily possible that I missed another one because I did not get to watch the entire game.  The one I saw the announcers said he should have caught it and it was possible because he got his hands on it but it was a late bad throw.  If Carr hits him in stride it is an easy 1st down plus more.  The throw was so late he would have had to throw it easily 6 more feet to the right.

Agreed, if anything it was a bad throw by Carr. 

@Ryno the abrams plays for td. Was one of them where allen was wide open and came across in his zone. But he had went to the post route for some reason. Pretty sure allen was his responsibility.  Also think mike Williams sideline catch was on him also. I like abram as an inbox safety who is blitzing or picking up a rb or tightend in man coverage. Asking him to play one high safety zone is just dumb. He should be used same way seattle is using Adams mostly. I really don't remember last time we had a defensive coach who put all our players in the best spots to succeed. I real test will be to see if collins is still out snapping hurst when he is healthy. 

Edited by dante9876
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ryno said:

I've re-watched the game mainly focusing on the defence and Brandon Parker:

Brandon Parker - imo is a huge liability in pass coverage and was beat multiple times until the Raiders starting sending chips his way. Still happy he got the experience though...

Littleton - Wasn't actually as bad as I thought he was. He didn't make any plays, and was beat a few times in man coverage... but other than biting on an early fake-handoff rollout and the missed tackle late he did a good job of plugging his gaps, forcing plays inside, and sticking with his man. He is definitively a finesse player and not very physical. 

*I've never actually watched him play outside of the Raiders so can't really say how he was used with the Rams to make impact plays...

Joyner - Didn't look bad out there... was pretty good at recognising the play and the times where he appeared beat was gaps in the zone and releasing a target to pickup another.

Ferrell - Really did have a great game, always controls his gap, got multiple pressures and came close to a few sacks. I counted 8 plays where he kicked inside and Crosby took his place and a few of them he collapsed the pocket. Most came on the last drive and I guess it's just they think they're putting the best rush line out there :/ 

Crosby - Should be a rotation piece at this point. A bit of a liability in the run game not controlling his gap.

Vickers - Didn't really see much in the run game but does a really good job shooting a gap and using rip moves... should easily be above Collins at this point.

DLine as a whole - Other than Crosby and Collins they're actually really disciplined... adding consistent interior pressure would do so much... They look really awkward on stunts and the only one that can do a decent spin move is Ferrell...

Safeties - Erik Harris is a ghost and doesn't do anything or help anyone. Abram, love him and is without a doubt the tone setter on the defence, but I'm pretty sure he blew a few coverages that resulted in TDs + add in the play he could have swatted... 

PG - I'm not sure how much blame I can put on PG for the poor performance defensively as it looked like big plays came from blown assignments and poor gap control. I  guess allowing them to march down the field with easy completions underneath is on him, but then there were a few missed tackles by the players...

• I blame him for how the defence never seems ready for 3 WRs lined up on one side though. It's guaranteed the Raiders are confused on who is covering who. The really need to adopt a coverage where the outside man covers the first out and the inside man covers first inside instead  of just manning up and running into each other.

Other stuff

• Every time we blitzed multiple LBs they picked it up with ease
  • Ferrell comes out on 3 man rushes
  • Morrow was in instead of Kwit on the last drive which I guess is purely because of speed... Kwit actually does alright in coverage and tackles for short gains imo

Qs:

• For the 4th & 1 pitch to the right TD they scored in the 2nd quarter, who was to blame / what should have been called? Looked like a perfect call and execution by them...
  • For their second TD, is that a blown coverage by Abram?
  • 4th quarter TD, who's to blame on that? Was it Morrow abandoning his side, blaming Ferrell for falling would seem a bit much...

Really good post! As you say, its really beneficial to get to watch the game a 2nd time if possible, when I do that I notice so much more as I'm not emotionally entangled in the game. It's like I can see more of the field.

Some great observations and with regard to the queries, it seems like our soft zone coverage is just poor, we always seem to have guys in between two receivers and picking up the wrong guy so that I think is what happened there, also Morrow just got dragged out if position I'd say, again though its hard to know responsibilities but you'd think that was his. Soft zones has been a real problem but I think a very good FS could do wonders, the last time we had Woodson back there marshalling guys was the last time we were effective. The CBs I feel are doing a good job generally, they are all pretty good cover guys IMO.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2020 at 3:44 AM, agarcia34 said:

Carr did have Waller on that fumble play before half time. CB slipped and Carr was looking at Waller but couldn’t pull the trigger.

He should have released it a little earlier. I guess he wanted to step into it but I agree a quick trigger and that's 6.

It's great that we put up 30+ every week and there are still so many improvable areas for Carr, Waller, Ruggs, etc. We can still get better.