Sign in to follow this  
Tony7188

If you had to choose, who would you cut next offseason: Jaylon Smith or Ezekiel Elliott?

Who are you cutting?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you cutting?

• Jaylon Smith
    • Ezekiel Elliott
    • Neither

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 12/07/2020 at 08:00 AM

1 hour ago, D82 said:

I don't really think this is a great framing of the choice(s). If your choices are

1. Keep Jaylon Smith - $9.8M Cap Hit
  2. Cut Jaylon - $9.4M Cap Hit

That means you'd rather have $400k in cap space than have Jaylon on the roster, but you are eating basically everything that you were going to pay him anyway.

He basically has to be worse than a free player to make sense of cutting him (at least pre-June1). Which I think he is, honestly. I'd still cut him. But Bobby makes it seem like there is like a $10M difference between the two options. There isn't.

If I had to? Keep Jaylon. He can rebound under the right scheme. Either way we are keeping both for another year. 

Looking at our projected cap sheet for next year, I don't know how we avoid having to post-June 1 release Jaylon, unless we move on from Dak, or Tyron. Re-signing/tagging Dak again is going to eat up most of our cap room and with Poe already gone, the most $ we can save on an obvious release candidate is $2M from cutting Chris Jones.

I don't know that they're willing to admit their wrongness on Jaylon, though. With the likelihood that we'll be picking high enough for Sewell or a QB, I could see us making that transition instead. Would be a mistake IMO, but perhaps not as egregious as replacing Jaylon with Micah Parsons in the Top 5.

5 hours ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Voted before I saw if cap space wasn't an issue.     If it is,   I'd cut Jaylon,   since we save a whopping $400k in cap space, whereas Zeke we lose almost $10mil in cap space.    I'd keep both guys for another year. 

Thats only because the GTD money is salary. Trading for even a conditional 7th rounder makes Zeke save us more money.

5 hours ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Honestly,  if we are able to get Lawrence or Fields in the draft,  and they are not complete busts,   these 2 players contracts won't matter.

Thats a strange way to look at it. Bad contracts are bad contracts. If we hadnt wasted ~60m+ in under production this year, Daks contract wouldnt matter either. Having a QB on a rookie contract doesnt solve anything if you still sign other people to terrible contracts.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I don't really think this is a great framing of the choice(s). If your choices are

1. Keep Jaylon Smith - $9.8M Cap Hit
  2. Cut Jaylon - $9.4M Cap Hit

That means you'd rather have $400k in cap space than have Jaylon on the roster, but you are eating basically everything that you were going to pay him anyway.

He basically has to be worse than a free player to make sense of cutting him (at least pre-June1). Which I think he is, honestly. I'd still cut him. But Bobby makes it seem like there is like a $10M difference between the two options. There isn't.

That's cold. I think designating Jaylon as a post June 1st move makes sense, but Jaylon could be serviceable in a backup role. He at least has some athletic ability.

Zeke on the other hand is done. His decline age 25 is unbelievable. People are debating whether Pollard should be the starter, which is saying a lot.

Edited by Tony7188

20 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

That's cold. I think designating Jaylon as a post June 1st move makes sense, but Jaylon could be serviceable in a backup role. He at least has some athletic ability.

Zeke on the other hand is done. His decline age 25 is unbelievable. People are debating whether Pollard should be the starter, which is saying a lot.

But runningbacks just don’t really matter that much. As long as he isn’t fumbling the ball, his presence doesn’t hurt the O.

Jaylon Smith, on the other hand, has a target on his back from every reasonable OC in the league. 

Isn’t there a bunch of information out there about RBs and the 350 touch effect? I believe Zeke has done that 2 yrs in a row. I know he hasn’t hit the age threshold, but I imagine he’s probably averaged well over 300 touches/yr the last 6-7 yrs

I voted Zeke primarily because he has a limited number of effective years left.  I think the number is max 6-7.  And he is in year 5 I believe.   

while for the past two years I have considered the lack of production from our LB to be a top 1 or 2 problem with our D I also have always said it has also been as much the scheme as the players.   Smith was reasonably good in making what I consider game changing plays in 2018.  He and the rest of the LB core was not last year and this year.  Smith even in college was used as a edge LB who was close to the LOS and excelled at making athletic plays along the LOS and behind the LOS where his primary expectations were see the ball tackle the ball.   In college he did this at the same level as a Palumalo was at a different position. YES HE WAS THAT DOMINATE he regularly controlled the game on the defense in college.  Teams could not run nor roll the QB out wide on his side of the ball and expect to make plays in college.  He never regained that “edge” after the injury but he showed flashes of his athletic ability he had in 2018 making tackles behind the LOS. Sense then I have see him in the middle of the field off the LOS where He struggles greatly diagnosing the play properly and not overrunning things or getting fooled by misdirection.  He has made plays when used as a blitzer and edge contain.   This is a scheme issue and LVE and Lee injury where we never had depth behind them such that a miss positioned Smith was still our best option.   Better scheme better players around him and he could develop into being good especially if you stop making him the QB of your defense as he obviously struggles at this big time which is another huge limit in his skill set though