GDT: The fight for positioning! Will Dallas be Cooked?

buddy_z34

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-preview/2019/8/28/20830363/quarterback-contract-bubble-salary-cap-dak-prescott-jared-goff

“Why NFL Teams Find It So Hard to Quit QBs

Cheap, young quarterbacks are the holy grail of modern football building blocks. So why do teams keep handing out $30 million extensions to less-than-elite passers?

There is nothing more valuable in the modern NFL than a capable quarterback on a rookie contract. That’s become an accepted truth, gospel for franchises that obsess over finding the smartest possible ways to build their roster. This line of thinking began with the emergence of Russell Wilson, the first player under the current CBA to show the advantage of having a cheap QB. When the Seahawks won the Super Bowl in the second year of Wilson’s deal, his salary cap hit was just over $681,000. He was Seattle’s 26th-highest-paid player in 2013.

In the years since Wilson’s breakthrough, other teams have followed the Seahawks’ blueprint. Front offices have seized on the opportunity provided by having young quarterbacks on low salaries to stockpile other assets. The Rams and Eagles took advantage of rookie deals for Jared Goff and Carson Wentz, respectively, by swinging aggressive trades for established stars and scooping up useful players like Ndamukong Suh and Malik Jackson. With Mitchell Trubisky making just $6.6 million last year, the Bears didn’t blink when trading for Khalil Mack and handing him $90 million guaranteed. And Chiefs phenom and reigning league MVP Patrick Mahomes will count for just $4.5 million against the cap this season—about 12 percent of what he’ll garner annually when his mega-extension likely goes into effect next offseason.

Yet even as the advantages of a quarterback on a rookie deal have become conventional wisdom, few teams have showed financial restraint toward the end of a passer’s initial contract. The Dolphins handed Ryan Tannehill a four-year deal worth $45 million guaranteed in 2015. The Jaguars gave Blake Bortles a three-year extension that included $26.5 million in guarantees after the 2017 season. (He’ll carry a $16.5 million dead money hit for the Jags this year.) Carson Wentz got a four-year, $128 million extension this summer (with about $108 million guaranteed), and it looks like the Rams and Cowboys will likely follow suit with Goff and Dak Prescott, respectively. Prescott reportedly wants upward of $35 million per season, a figure that would challenge Wilson’s new deal for the largest annual QB salary. These contracts don’t just amount to a raise—each one seems to come at the top of the market. “I 100 percent understand that it’s really intriguing when you look at it from a business perspective,” Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff says of the notion that teams could just start anew with another rookie QB. “

It’s a striking disconnect in a league that has increasingly embraced analytics. 

The Ringer has been pounding this table for 3 years and I have discredited it for 3 years. The truth of the matter is that many, many QBs have won a superbowl while at  some point signing the "highest paid contract in the NFL". Most playoff QBs, Champ game and Superbowl QBs are on second contracts. 

33 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

The Ringer has been pounding this table for 3 years and I have discredited it for 3 years. The truth of the matter is that many, many QBs have won a superbowl while at  some point signing the "highest paid contract in the NFL". Most playoff QBs, Champ game and Superbowl QBs are on second contracts. 

Would you say or were more or less successful discrediting the ringer’s QB position or the run game does NOT matter position? 

3 minutes ago, The_Slamman said:

Would you say or were more or less successful discrediting the ringer’s QB position or the run game does NOT matter position? 

Both. You simply wont accept the premise of the run game argument because you are to dense to get past the trollbait title. 

3 hours ago, D82 said:

So what do they do when it comes time to re-sign those QBs? We saw Kansas City give Mahomes the richest contract ever. 

But I feel like we're derailing yet another thread. So...move this to the dead horse Dak thread. 

Since you asked the question here I’ll answer it here.  The first the franchise does is work with the franchise qb on giving the qb a team team friendly deal.  That’s priority #1.  This is exactly what the patriots did with Tom Brady.  It was highly effective.  Over his past 10 years in NE, Brady was RARELY a top 10 paid QB in the NFL. Brady’s contract didn’t prevent NE from getting high priced FA talent which they did at positions of need.

If the QB won’t budge on his price, the next question is whether that QB is Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson Or Manning type talent who can singlehandedly make up for team deficiencies.  If the answer is yes, you pay them.  Those QBs are good enough to keep team in contention even if means scoring 40 points to overcome a defense that allows 35.

if you dont know if your qb is on that level, you franchise them. Or you trade them for a kings ransom.  The eagles got a first round pick for Sam Freaking Bradford.   I’d bet we could fleece the bears for Dak... Hershel Walker type stuff.

what you absolutely do not do is give the Staffords, Eli’s, Wentzs, Flaccos, Bradfords, etc franchise qb money.  Might as well just kick the franchise in the nuts.

Edited by The_Slamman

1 hour ago, The_Slamman said:

The first the franchise does is work with the franchise qb on giving the qb a team team friendly deal.

Which virtually is impossible. Almost no QB ever has done this. It would be swell if all players played for free, but thats not reality. Lets try to live in reality. 

That’s priority #1.  This is exactly what the patriots did with Tom Brady.  

lol, not really. People like to say they did without actually looking into what actually happened. The Pats gave Tom multiple contracts that were at the time of signing at or very near the highest paid in the league. They also did a sheet ton of restructures to "kick the can". Hence why Tom is in Tampa and also one of the highest paid players in New England in 2020. 

It was highly effective.

Again, stay in reality....

Over his past 10 years in NE, Brady was RARELY a top 10 paid QB in the NFL. Brady’s contract didn’t prevent NE from getting high priced FA talent which they did at positions of need.

This is fake news. Tom was almost always one of the highest paid players in the NFL. They manipulated the cap so that he had $1m salaries and spread it out over 5 years.

Did Tom take less than the absolute max? Yes. He did. No debate. 

At the same time, Tom was regularly one of the highest paid players even if his cap % for a given year was low. Thats simple accounting. 

And again, thats irrelevant because no other QBs do that.  

Edited by Matts4313

10 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Which virtually is impossible. Almost no QB ever has done this. It would be swell if all players played for free, but thats not reality. Lets try to live in reality. 

lol, not really. People like to say they did without actually looking into what actually happened. The Pats gave Tom multiple contracts that were at the time of signing at or very near the highest paid in the league. They also did a sheet ton of restructures to "kick the can". Hence why Tom is in Tampa and also one of the highest paid players in New England in 2020. 

Again, stay in reality....

This is fake news. Tom was almost always one of the highest paid players in the NFL. They manipulated the cap so that he had $1m salaries and spread it out over 5 years.

Did Tom take less than the absolute max? Yes. He did. No debate. 

At the same time, Tom was regularly one of the highest paid players even if his cap % for a given year was low. Thats simple accounting. 

And again, thats irrelevant because no other QBs do that.  

Matts, just stick to scouring reddit for meaningless graphs, etc.  You are just dead wrong about everything you post nowadays.  Stick with what you are good at.  

8 minutes ago, The_Slamman said:

Matts, just stick to scouring reddit for meaningless graphs, etc.  You are just dead wrong about everything you post nowadays.  Stick with what you are good at.  

My favorite thing about you now is that you dont even use facts or stay on topic anymore. You just make stuff up or contort what others say to fit your narrative. Its cute. 

But I will take your lack of response the same way as I take your trollbait responses, that you concede that you are incorrect. 

3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

My favorite thing about you now is that you dont even use facts or stay on topic anymore. You just make stuff up or contort what others say to fit your narrative. Its cute. 

But I will take your lack of response the same way as I take your trollbait responses, that you concede that you are incorrect. 

What’s funny about this is every time I fact check you, you just call it trolling.  It’s ok champ.       One day you will understand the nfl and you’ll be able to fact check yourself.  Until then just keep living off pff and charts.