Reading the Tea Leaves

WindyCity

This is my reading of how this all plays out.

-Nagy and Pace are not getting fired. George McCaskey does not have the stones to fire them and hit reset on the organization, even if it wastes the defensive talent on the team. Every excuse will be rolled out [Covid, Injuries, Bad Luck, No offseason for Foles] all while they are saying that they are not making excuses. We saw this with Lovie and Jerry for years after the Super Bowl.

-Nagy and Pace will know they were close to being fired and they will be desperate.

-We will see even more cap space pushed into future years as they try and patch problems on the OL.

-They will make a trade up for a QB in the draft

1. They cannot afford not to have a new QB to dangle as hope in the future 

2. It buys them "development" time

3. Why do they care about future picks? If the QB hits it won't matter and if it misses they will be fired.

• Like 1

If both Nagy and Pace are still here next season then you are probably right on all those points.

Though I hope somehow that the team's brass is smart enough to not by into this foolishness. 

They are only hurting the future of the team by continuing with the status quo.

This is a long shot but If I were the McCaskey's at the very least I would seriously look at hiring a president/CEO of football operations this off season to put everyone in the organization on notice.

It's clear that it hasn't been working for a long time now and that something needs to be overhauled. How many more years does the team have to run in these constant circles for them to realize this?

2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Anudder quarterback from BYU can only mean one thing my frents! Da Bears will be going for another 8-peat in no time!

It's fate man. This franchise needs the next Jimmy McMahon if they ever want to achieve SB glory again.

Jokes aside this is a good draft year to need a QB or OL.

By my count as many as 6 QBs may go in the 1st this year.

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

It's fate man. This franchise needs the next Jimmy McMahon if they ever want to achieve SB glory again.

Jokes aside this is a good draft year to need a QB or OL.

By my count as many as 6 QBs may go in the 1st this year.

But it's ALWAYS a good draft for a corner, too!

• Like 1

Or another TE...

I won't criticize Pace for taking Jaylon Johnson though. You can never have too many good corners in a passing league nowadays. He's looking like a real bright pick and steal of the 2nd round

It's the mid round pick of Vildor that puzzles me over OL depth.

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

Just now, topwop1 said:

Or another TE...

I won't criticize Pace for taking Jaylon Johnson though. You can never have too many good corners in a passing league nowadays. He's looking like a real bright pick and steal of the 2nd round

I agree. I wasn't thrilled about either him or Kmet only because I liked others more, but once JJ starts catching some of these PBU's he'll be one of the better young corners in football

7 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I agree. I wasn't thrilled about either him or Kmet only because I liked others more, but once JJ starts catching some of these PBU's he'll be one of the better young corners in football

I wanted Claypool. Badly.

• Like 2