Reading the Tea Leaves

WindyCity

Sadly I agree,  Pace will be desperate for a QB if he still has his job, and he's gonna do something reckless to try and fix it/save himself, including mortgaging the future.

That being said, I'm of the opinion that it really doesn't matter.... Either way we need a qb who doesn't suck, and if we punt on one this year, and spend it all on OL, we're just going to end up with a mediocre offense that can run the ball and a strong defense...... which puts us as a fringe playoff team that never actually wins a ring and always has a terrible draft position towards fixing QB.

So, imo swing hard on the QB this year either way, if you can work a trade up for whatever guy the GM (whover that is) thinks is the guy..... then dump AT LEAST 2 if not 3 picks into the OL to fix that....

My current Mock (The draft network's board) often ends with us having

1. Zach Wilson  (trading next year's 1)

2. Faalele or Darrisaw  as the OT1

3. My third rounder has a lot of variance... OT, OG, ILB, WR, and RB are all pretty strong options here.... Most intriguing to me might be Journey Brown-RB.... He's got some medical issue this year, but he's another Penn State freak athlete runner.... Bigger and -way faster- than Myles Sanders was (*hand timed* 4.28x40 at 216lbs, 10ft10in broad jump), but more of a straight line guy.  Auburn has the guy claimed to be the fastest WR in the country right now as well, and there's a 6ft7in ILB from virginia (Snowden) that has my curiosity piqued. I'd note, when I'm looking at OL I'm looking for 3x OTs and kicking one to guard most likely.... there's only a few guards I'd take, namely the Georgia one Cleveland)

4. No 4th this year

5-7 I swing on OT here at least once, and the very late rounders I look for SPEED at skill positions. Louisville has a RB (Hawkins) that's very Kerrith Whyte mold of an absolute burner and he ran well against Bama and Clemson. There's a number of potential WRs in this range that have significant speed as well.

17 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Same man. He could have filled the move to or any WR role. So much potential. 

Not to mention the financial aspect of having a "TE" who you only have to pay as a "TE" during the 2 tag years, if you where unable to work a long term deal out, despite him being a pretty obvious WR level receiving threat. 

I mean obviously it's not a step you really want to take for the locker room's sake, but it is a pretty powerful piece of financial leverage.

6 hours ago, G08 said:

I wanted Claypool. Badly.

59 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Same man. He could have filled the move to or any WR role. So much potential. 

39 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Not to mention the financial aspect of having a "TE" who you only have to pay as a "TE" during the 2 tag years, if you where unable to work a long term deal out, despite him being a pretty obvious WR level receiving threat. 

I mean obviously it's not a step you really want to take for the locker room's sake, but it is a pretty powerful piece of financial leverage.

Are you guys seriously suggesting that WR was more important than the TE position was? Are you guys listening to yourselves?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Are you guys seriously suggesting that WR was more important than the TE position was? Are you guys listening to yourselves?

I'm suggesting that Claypool was a better tight end than Kmet, and would probably also be our best receiving threat right now too... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I'm suggesting that Claypool was a better tight end than Kmet, and would probably also be our best receiving threat right now too... 

You can't line him up at the line of scrimmage and expect him to make one-on-one blocks against EDGE rushers like Kmet has done. 

We're using Holts/Kmet/Graham as a 6th blocker to help compensate for the OL's poor pass blocking. You can't do that with Claypool. 

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

You can't line him up at the line of scrimmage and expect him to make one-on-one blocks against EDGE rushers like Kmet has done. 

We're using Holts/Kmet/Graham as a 6th blocker to help compensate for the OL's poor pass blocking. You can't do that with Claypool. 

Yeah like it or not, getting a y tight end was more helpful since we blew off o line last off-season, not saying it's smart but saying it happened. Kmet has saved some plays 

2 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Yeah like it or not, getting a y tight end was more helpful since we blew off o line last off-season, not saying it's smart but saying it happened. Kmet has saved some plays 

Perhaps Kmet is more helpful but Claypool is the better talent, and it's not even close....

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dafreak said:

Perhaps Kmet is more helpful but Claypool is the better talent, and it's not even close....

Agree... They want a blocking TE, they can get one off the FA pile or a later pick.

What I don't get is that if Kmet was so integral to the offense and Nagy wanted a Kelce type... Why does he get no usage? They hyped him up all off season and he gets nothing so far. There's no difference between him and Riley Ridley basically. A 2nd round selection should be an almost immediate starter, that's a premium pick.

54 minutes ago, The_Romen said:

Agree... They want a blocking TE, they can get one off the FA pile or a later pick.

What I don't get is that if Kmet was so integral to the offense and Nagy wanted a Kelce type... Why does he get no usage? They hyped him up all off season and he gets nothing so far. There's no difference between him and Riley Ridley basically. A 2nd round selection should be an almost immediate starter, that's a premium pick.

He gets no targets because our oline sucks and they need him to block. Also, our coach is an idiot.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Epyon said:

Thats one point I never thought of. Good point. 

7 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

He could be a TE too, hes bigger and stronger than Burton is and dozens of other TEs. 

Look the fact is blocking TEs are absolutely helpful but big money goes to TEs that can catch the ball and make plays in the pass game. If they can block too then toy have a gem. 

You can find cheap blockers in FA or grab undersized OL to fill that role, Pace failing at the OL and TE positions doesnt mean taking a mediocre prospect (IMO) over a much higher ceiling one. Didnt he constantly claim to go BPA? His offensive drafting has clearly showed he has no clue on that side of the ball, so I have no trust that Kmet is more than the best pure TE in  a weak class. Using a 2nd rounder on TE is fine, making that 2nd rounder become a 6th OL makes the GM an idiot. 

31 minutes ago, Pool said:

He gets no targets because our oline sucks and they need him to block. Also, our coach is an idiot.

Someone talked up Harris a lot as a blocker, why cant he fill that role and let Kmet be a receiver? I know Nagy is a moron but if Harris cant block - and that was the whole reason to keep him over Kmet early on - then that further shows Pace's ineptitude at the position in particular. 

2 hours ago, The_Romen said:

You really do need patience with tight ends.  It takes time for them to get an NFL body built for blocking and then receiving.  Add to that the fact that they need to understand blocking assignments/angles/schemes as well as route running, and well, you have a position that requires time to learn.

Not many come into the league as a rookie ready to make an impact.

And those highly drafted guys are usually poor picks, because  a tight end just doesn't move the needle all that much on an offense.

Ebron was drafted over these guys....Taylor Lewan, Odell Beckham, Aaron Donald, Kyle Fuller and Zach Martin.  Not slighting Ebron, but those other guys have made bigger impacts for their drafting team.  Even OBJ at times.

Even Hoch, who is off to a good start isn't moving the needs for the Lions.  Time will tell about those guys drafted after him.

You guys took Kmet at a nice spot to take a TE.  I think you are going to really like what he develops into in a year or two.

• Like 1

Been surfing the web for mock drafts today.  

Lawrence and Fields are a lock at 1 & 2.  Washington will take a QB in the top 10.  About 50/50 have the Patriots taking a QB.  It’s looking like the bears will take the 5th QB off the board. If we are lucky the Patriots don’t go QB in round one maybe we have a chance at Wilson.  

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

He was the perfect 'U' TE. So, to answer your question, no I am not suggest WR was more important than the TE we are literally not using.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

Been surfing the web for mock drafts today.  

Lawrence and Fields are a lock at 1 & 2.  Washington will take a QB in the top 10.  About 50/50 have the Patriots taking a QB.  It’s looking like the bears will take the 5th QB off the board. If we are lucky the Patriots don’t go QB in round one maybe we have a chance at Wilson.  

Just wait till you see the desperation trade up that is coming.

• Like 1