Reading the Tea Leaves

WindyCity

A good comparable scenario might be the trade to get Montgomery, as to what Pace might do to get a QB next year.

If you recall, the Bears havd been mocked to a bunch of different RBs with their first pick of the draft, a third rounder, seeing as how the Bears were just an RB away from being a contender (hahaha crying a bit though)  A lot of us had Darrelle Henderson and David Montgomery in that "cloud" of players that the Bears might fit.  All of a sudden the Rams traded up  and selected Henderson at pick 70, so the Bears jumped up to get the Patriots pick, where they selected Montgomery.  Interestingly, the Pats used teh Bears pick to get Damien Harris, who has likely been a better back before getting hurt. 

Why the history?  If Pace is around-which I think he will be-he and Nagy are going to have a cloud (ugh) of QBs that they'll want, and a limit on how far they'll go to get them.  I would expect that if the Bears are picking aroudn 15 (my guess) and someone trades into the top 10 to get QB3, the Bears will be close behind no matter the cost.  Ideally Lawrence would go first, then a bigger gap than expcted for Fields, and the Bears can stand pat.  My new order would be Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, Trask, Lance, and after that I'm not really sure. 

42 minutes ago, G08 said:

Or... would you flip a 3rd to the NYJ for Sam Darnold?

Pace is desperate.

I expect us to make a bat **** crazy trade up for a QB because there is little downside for Pace,

-QB hits and nothing else matters he is set.

-QB misses and he is fired.

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

You really do need patience with tight ends.  It takes time for them to get an NFL body built for blocking and then receiving.  Add to that the fact that they need to understand blocking assignments/angles/schemes as well as route running, and well, you have a position that requires time to learn.

Not many come into the league as a rookie ready to make an impact.

And those highly drafted guys are usually poor picks, because  a tight end just doesn't move the needle all that much on an offense.

Ebron was drafted over these guys....Taylor Lewan, Odell Beckham, Aaron Donald, Kyle Fuller and Zach Martin.  Not slighting Ebron, but those other guys have made bigger impacts for their drafting team.  Even OBJ at times.

Even Hoch, who is off to a good start isn't moving the needs for the Lions.  Time will tell about those guys drafted after him.

You guys took Kmet at a nice spot to take a TE.  I think you are going to really like what he develops into in a year or two.

Agree on all points, and I definitely understand the waiting approach. It's not wrong.

I'm just annoyed that all off-season, he got the playbook and was so great... No playing time.

Last off-season, Trubs was in 301 and Shaheen was unstoppable.

I really do like Kmet and agreed with the pick (although I stanned for Claypool), I just don't understand how they can try to sell us all this crap and then never use him. If TE is so integral, he had better be one of the main targets and instead he's just kinda there and Harris is getting targets that should go to Kmet. Graham is useless outside of the red zone, why is this old *** man getting targets but not your future that can actually move and maybe break a tackle or two?

53 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I have almost talked myself into being excited that Pace is staying.

This desperation QB move is going to be epic, crazy, and at least entertaining.

Or do they double down on Foles and use our draft resources to beef up the OL and offensive speed?

1 hour ago, The_Romen said:

Agree on all points, and I definitely understand the waiting approach. It's not wrong.

I'm just annoyed that all off-season, he got the playbook and was so great... No playing time.

Last off-season, Trubs was in 301 and Shaheen was unstoppable.

I really do like Kmet and agreed with the pick (although I stanned for Claypool), I just don't understand how they can try to sell us all this crap and then never use him. If TE is so integral, he had better be one of the main targets and instead he's just kinda there and Harris is getting targets that should go to Kmet. Graham is useless outside of the red zone, why is this old *** man getting targets but not your future that can actually move and maybe break a tackle or two?

Speaking as someone who had 2 years of Jimmie Graham, I feel yah.  You overpaid for him, no doubt.  But, I'll bet he is mentoring Kmet, just like he did Tonyan and Sternberger for the Packers.  It took Tonyan until his 3rd season to be a plus on the field.  Stern is in year two and still really raw, but he is starting to come around.

I think Kmet has more talent than the two Packers listed and ultimately is going to be a very good player.  Maybe in part to learning from Graham.

And that is just me trying to put a positive spin on Graham for yah.

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 2

Regarding Qb's for the Bears.  It really doesn't matter who you get.  With your offensive line as it is, none of them are going to look good.  Front office needs to figure out how to fix that line while adding a new QB.  If you just get a new rookie QB, your line is going to wreck him in short order.

Spitballing here, but Reiff is probably gonna be a free agent.  He's not All World, but he is decent.  Grab him in FA, he knows the division and he is a solid upgrade at LT.  Flip Ifedi to RT.  Cut Massie and Leno.  Whitehair at RG.  Daniels at LG.  Draft a center or start Mustiphur.  If you can find a solid LT in free agency, that should allow you to make a ridiculous trade for a rookie QB and not get him killed.

GB is probably losing a great center, but you don't need to overspend at that position.  Lane Taylor is a quality guard who won't cost much.

Course, it would help to retain Robinson if you can to give the kid a weapon outside to pair with your fast rookie and Graham/Kmet/Montgomery.

But really, it should start with the overhaul of the offensive line.  And grabbing guys from the division would help as they know how those teams play already.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, G08 said:

Or... would you flip a 3rd to the NYJ for Sam Darnold?

The thing with trading for Darnold is you only really have him cost controlled for 1 season. If he gets traded to Bears and does fairly decent then they will have to decide at the end of next year whether to franchise or sign him long term.

I don't think Bears will be in any position to pay big time QB money anytime soon unless they know they are getting an elite passer.

Looking more likely Bears draft a QB. Like it has mentioned it will buy Pace more time to see his vision through. I really think Nagy is done tho unless he can somehow improve the offense between now and end of season. He's getting a lot of bad national press now which doesn't usually end well for a  headcoach.

• Like 1