2K20--Bye Week

onejayhawk

Game #9 was the 40th start of Patrick Mahomes career. He threw four TD, bringing his career total to 101 TD, an NFL record. The fastest to the milestone had been Dan Marino at 44 games. It is possible Mahomes may get his 50th game in the post season. He is on track for an NFL record through 50 games. Game #9 also moved HC Reid into the top five in coaching wins, passing Curly Lambeau with 230 wins. #4 is Tom Landry with 270. 
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/11/08/patrick-mahomes-is-fastest-to-100-touchdown-passes-in-nfl-history/
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/08/kansas-city-chiefs-andy-reid-nfl-coaching-wins/

The bye week also has bad news.  As noted in the game thread, Taco Charlton has a leg fracture and will go on IR. He did walk off after the injury, so it may be as minor as broken bones get. More news later today.

J

28 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Something to do. how well do you know your ancient NFL history? A Chiefs QB quiz. It's anyone with at least one start, so Tyler Thigpen counts.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/the_kansas_city_chiefs_starting_quarterbacks_quiz/s1__20258266

Average score is under ten. I managed a bit more.

J

got 14 - and I'm a fan since 2000 only .. 😉 Wasn't aware who all started as backups in the Cassel and Smith era ... other than Tyler Palko 🤢

1 hour ago, KC_Guy said:

got 14 - and I'm a fan since 2000 only .. 😉 Wasn't aware who all started as backups in the Cassel and Smith era ... other than Tyler Palko 🤢

Anyone who misses Thigpen deserves a slap on the wrist. The one I almost did not come up with was Bono. He started two years.

J

37 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Anyone who misses Thigpen deserves a slap on the wrist. The one I almost did not come up with was Bono. He started two years.

J

It’s odd, how certain players stick with fans and not others.   I sat in a section during the Bono years,   Every time he’d scream OHHHH NOO IT’S BONO.   Thanks to that guy, Bono will forever be someone I remember 

5 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Something to do. how well do you know your ancient NFL history? A Chiefs QB quiz. It's anyone with at least one start, so Tyler Thigpen counts.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/the_kansas_city_chiefs_starting_quarterbacks_quiz/s1__20258266

Average score is under ten. I managed a bit more.

J

Got 18. Forgot Palko and Quinn for recentish QBs. Forgot that Warren Moon ever actually started. Somehow forgot Blackledge's name. Might just have blocked that one out, mentally. Dawson, Kenney, and Deberg were the only ones I got from the pre-90s. Should've remembered Livingston and Blackledge, but a lot of guys not worth remembering back then otherwise.

• Like 1

Roster moves:

OL Martinas Rankin is back on the active roster.

To make room the team released DE Demone Harris. Which I think is a bit weird with Taco out for at least a while with a broken leg. Well, may be they have someone up their sleeve already to beef up the outside DL.

PS DT Braxton Hoyett to Res/COVID-19. Hope that doesn't cause more issues - but with the bye week up the team probably could ride it out.

• Like 1

It will be good to see if Rankin is really back to playing fit. We can use him. That said, I like what we got from Allegretti.

I think you can sum up Demone Harris in one word--limited. He's good enough to be a starting DL for a bad team, but he would be the starter the team wanted to upgrade. For the Chiefs, his best feature is buried by Michael Danna. I hope Taco can make it back for the playoffs. He's a one trick pony, but it's a really good trick. 

J

Wire has done an article on players who are pushing for more playing time/attention. Their candidates are Willie Gay, Micole Hardman, Deon Yelder and BoPete Keyes.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/kansas-city-chiefs-willie-gay-bopete-keyes-deon-yelder-mecole-hardman-snaps-bye-week/

Of the four, Gay is obvious. He has issue in pass coverage, but his speed and athleticism mark him as a future star, not just a starter. Hardman is already the de facto #2 with Sammy Watkins out. Keyes is almost a draft afterthought, who the Chiefs were really high on. He has very limited exposure, but injuries to Ward and Hamilton make PT available, especially on special teams.

The interesting one is Yelder. He's the blocking TE2. Keizer is the receiving TE2. Since the team seems comfortable with his blocking skills, anything he brings as a receiving threat is a bonus. According to the article, that is the case. With Travis Kelce spending time in the backfield, a legit second TE would be a major asset. 

J

Tershawn "Turk" Wharton went undrafted from Missouri-Rolla. he's making up for it now. PFF has him on their midseason All-rookie team.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/12/kansas-city-chiefs-tershawn-wharton-pff-midseason-all-rookie-team/

They are not kidding when the refer to him as undersized. At 6'4", 255 lb he's more like a DE. It causes me to wonder if Wharton is the one who made Demone Harris expendable. 

J

On 11/9/2020 at 9:50 AM, onejayhawk said:

The bye week also has bad news.  As noted in the game thread, Taco Charlton has a leg fracture and will go on IR. He did walk off after the injury, so it may be as minor as broken bones get. More news later today.

Could be just a broken fibula. I had one and they didn't even reset it. If no surrounding soft tissue damage he could play within a month.