Jump to content

2020 Week #10 GDT Steelers vs. Bengals


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

I’m not mad. I just don’t see the point of why it’s Danny Smiths fault when the Bengals did something that no other team does in that situation. 
 

No point in conversing it any more. 

I’m not even mad at Danny Smith at all. But I’m sure as hell gonna throw it at is not preparing for it before I say “how dare they!”

My view point of that play is stuff happens. But it was fully in our control to stop before I get mad at another team for not rolling over and die like someone might have liked. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of the reason it’s stupid and partially BL for me: you run it then kick the FG. So it wasn’t about trying to get a TD. You don’t run it earlier in the game when it was closer. So it wasn’t about keeping the game close and giving you a shot. And the really stupid part is you wasted a play you can pull off once maybe twice a year in a guaranteed loss. 
 

Stupid on the Bengals part. For the ST coaching on the Pittsburgh side it’s whatever. You go into the locker room not even talking about it to be honest. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

I’m not even mad at Danny Smith at all. But I’m sure as hell gonna throw it at is not preparing for it before I say “how dare they!”

My view point of that play is stuff happens. But it was fully in our control to stop before I get mad at another team for not rolling over and die like someone might have liked. 

Your first post on it:

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I feel way different. I’m far more upset with my special teams coordinator than I am with the bengals on that fake. 


And I’m not even saying “how dare they”. I’m saying it was stupid. And I bet in Cincy tomorrow they’ll say the only reason they did it was due to us “running up the score” (common talk from fans on twitter right now). It was pointless and stupid to do. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Part of the reason it’s stupid and partially BL for me: you run it then kick the FG. So it wasn’t about trying to get a TD. You don’t run it earlier in the game when it was closer. So it wasn’t about keeping the game close and giving you a shot. And the really stupid part is you wasted a play you can pull off once maybe twice a year in a guaranteed loss. 
 

Stupid on the Bengals part. For the ST coaching on the Pittsburgh side it’s whatever. You go into the locker room not even talking about it to be honest. 

🤷‍♂️ - that would be my response to what the Bengals do. We can’t control any of it, only how we prepare and respond. They may have saw something they wanted work on and wanted to give Joe a few more cracks at our starting D there since it’s the best one he will face  I don’t know.

I talked about it with refs and it’s true here. If it’s in the realm of possibility, I can’t be mad when it happens. I’m pretty hard headed when it comes to this stuff because my mentality is to own and control what you can control. I can’t control what the Bengals choose to do there, only prepare for the options and take care of my responsibilities. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Your first post on it:


And I’m not even saying “how dare they”. I’m saying it was stupid. And I bet in Cincy tomorrow they’ll say the only reason they did it was due to us “running up the score” (common talk from fans on twitter right now). It was pointless and stupid to do. 

Your missing what I’m saying there. I’m not upset with Danny, but he would be higher up the “upset list” than the Bengals in that situation. If upset was 10, Danny is at a 2 and the Bengals are at a -5

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

🤷‍♂️ - that would be my response to what the Bengals do. We can’t control any of it, only how we prepare and respond. They may have saw something they wanted work on and wanted to give Joe a few more cracks at our starting D there since it’s the best one he will face  I don’t know.

I talked about it with refs and it’s true here. If it’s in the realm of possibility, I can’t be mad when it happens. I’m pretty hard headed when it comes to this stuff because my mentality is to own and control what you can control. I can’t control what the Bengals choose to do there, only prepare for the options and take care of my responsibilities. 

And I'm normally right there with you but it was just stupid from the Bengals POV to do so.  And a quick peak at their reddit, twitter, and facebook feeds even their own fans are roasting the decision as stupid and pointless.  Joey was hobbled.  Putting him out there only risked further injury and he was limping even worse after the FG.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I feel way different. I’m far more upset with my special teams coordinator than I am with the bengals on that fake. 

I was extremely critical of Danny Smith after the way he got severely out-coached and the Steelers were unprepared to compete with Dallas. However, minus that play and a bad late punt by Jordan Berry, the special teams would have gotten an A plus in my book. They set the tone for the game early, flipped the field, corrected mistakes from last week, and did unto the Bengals what the Cowboys did unto us the previous week. A few noteworthy ST highlights:  1. forced fumble on first punt 2. Coverage teams were solid 3. Nearly a turnover on a muffed KO that mercifully rolled into the endzone 4. Nearly a PR TD by Ray Ray 5. FG and EP were perfect 6. Jordan Berry kept the Bengals pinned down or flipped the field with his punts and pinned them inside the 15 and 5 as well.  While the offense struggled to get off the bus and arrived late as they have done for most of the season, the ST set the table and gave them an opportunity to go up 14-0 early with some better offensive execution.

I have not been a Danny Smith fan for several years, but he has had the ST playing more consistent in 2020 than any other time he has been here in my humble opinion. They have not had two bad games in a row (Giants and Cowboys) were The worst in my opinion. Each time he bounced back better the next week. Like him or not, but that is good coaching. Not a fan, but giving credit where it is due.

12 hours ago, warfelg said:

I can't be.  There's no reason at all to be expecting something like that there. It's border line bush league to do that.  Looks like Joey B is hurt too.  So 🤷‍♂️

Something to learn from and get better from. Expect the unexpected! 

12 hours ago, warfelg said:

Being upset with Danny Smith over something as silly as a team down 30 with 0 chance of coming back assuming that they would run a fake. 999,999/1,000,000 times they just punt.  I have had less than 0 respect for the Bengals for a long time and this cements their lack of class and just understanding you just give the ball back and get out healthy.  There's absolutely 0 reason Danny Smith should have figured to run a fake punt prevent in that situation.

I agree, but I will add that teams are seeing some patterns with our ST's and exploiting them. It is a copycat league. Like I said above, great comeback from last week, but not an A+ because of a few plays. Simply add that to your preparation and prepare the players. 

12 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Nah, I just think it’s childish to be mad about them doing it and the act tough like you need to make them pay. It’s an option to do that there (and I’m going to continue to point out it’s the only option they have that can hurt you!!!!). 

If you get mad at that man, just call the game. No further need to play any more football after that. Just walk away from the fame with 8 minutes left. Running any more plays at that point should make you angry. Could you imagine if they sent a blitz down 30?! Terrifying! 

This professional football. You don’t want someone to do something against you? Don’t let them do it. I’ll repeat myself one more time...when there is only one thing that beats you, prepare for it or don’t get mad when it happens. Be grown men. Handle your stuff. 

Some teams do not follow the "professional code of conduct" to the letter. The Steelers could have scored more against the giants, Broncos, and Eagles, but ran out the clock. Some teams score and say that they are adding points in case of a tie breaker. We have seen the same things with the Victory formation and someone gets over-zealous. When you see who you are dealing with, you adjust accordingly.  We have beat this team 11 times in a row and they are looking for any success or mental tool to stoke some confidence. 

They did not concede defeat nicely and in a "classy" way. They are an AFC North rival who hates us. What did we expect? To your point, then we put our foot on their throats a little longer and harder.  They are like the little brother who is sick of losing to their big brother. We have been in that position with the Patriots. The Bengals will be a good football team with some additions over the next few years. They have a franchise QB to build around. Our time is now though! No apologies for spanking them. After the performance against Dallas, I think many believed that this would be a tougher game. The Bengals are a better team right now than Dallas despite their record. After beating the Titans, they believed that they may be able to pull an upset. They were wrong!💪😉 Business taken care of and onto to another business meeting in Jacksonville next Sunday!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...