2020 Week #10 GDT Steelers vs. Bengals

Steeler Hitman

10 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Other side of the coin -- do you want to continue to spend top round picks on players that ultimately are forced to be moved on or only become depth pieces? Since Claypool has taken the 3rd spot, Washington has played 22%, 18%, and 18% of the snaps. James Washington, a 60th overall pick, has been phased out in his third year. That 60th pick could be huge right now in the form of an OT, ILB, S, etc. 

Hilton and JuJu are the top guys on my list. Sutton, Hilton, and JuJu is my dream scenario. 

Would you rather play a slot WR an AAV of $16-18???Overall I trust the Steelers judgement of WR talent.

The Steelers seem to be able to get early round WRs ready enough to contribute year 1.

Id be amazed if they let both Villy and Feiler go with Ben being toward the end.

If they went risky, you could move Chuks to LT, resign Banner on 1 year prove it deal and slide Dotson to LG.

Edited by AlanFanecaFan

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Trey Flowers signed a 5/90M contract last season. He never topped 7.5 sacks. Bud had 11 last year and will probably get over 10 again. They're about the same age. I would bet Bud's deal will top Flowers', at least in a normal year. Who knows with covid?

not sure how covid affects deals, the players should still be able to work out for other teams. Flowers got overpaid vs productivity , just like many in recent times, so that will be a factor. I have lost track of what the market will probably offer, then also consider  all it takes is one team to pay much more.  I don't think dan snyder will be looking for an Edge rusher this year though. 

How many teams do you think would seriously be interest in signing Dupree for the $ he would want? Would he want to go to a losing team? Will he play standing up or will he go to a team that plays 4-3 hand in the dirt?

The Clowney comparisons are not good to go by since he hasn't done much this  year and is dealing with a knee injury. On pace for 0 sacks 👏

Just now, AlanFanecaFan said:

Would you rather play a slot WR an AAV of $16-18.

The answer is yes, I am comfortable paying a receiver going rate at the position. I overall agree that I trust their judgement and in a vacuum sure, I would trust them to draft another rookie. But the other side again, would you take a second/third round receiver for the 5th  straight year and 7 of the last 8 over TE, CB, S, ILB, OT, IOL? Those positions need an infusion of talent and youth too. 

I had another post about JuJu's money somewhere else that covered this in better detail, but his first year hit on a newly signed contract has a really good chance of being <$10M which makes it super palatable. DJ and Claypool would still have 2-3 years before big money so the paying JuJu situation really isn't as bad as its perceived. He is still only 24 starting 2021. 

3 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Id be amazed if they let both Villy and Feiler go with Ben being toward the end.

In my mind, the only real question is if they think Chuks is a viable option at LT. Because if he is, then we already have known replacements on the roster for them. I think you could argue that Dotson has been better that Feiler at LG. Banners best option is back here if the RT position is available so to me, that all makes sense. 

6 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Would you rather play a slot WR an AAV of $16-18???Overall I trust the Steelers judgement of WR talent.

The Steelers seem to be able to get early round WRs ready enough to contribute year 1.

If they went risky, you could move Chuks to LT, resign Banner on 1 year prove it deal and slide Dotson to LG.

Who are some UFA OL that will be available? Maybe Wiz returns,  vet OL is not a bad idea. JJSS would be a loss, but thats what they call a cap casualty. The team would want him to stay but someone else will pay him much more, thats the nfl for the last quarter century

4 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

The answer is yes, I am comfortable paying a receiver going rate at the position. I overall agree that I trust their judgement and in a vacuum sure, I would trust them to draft another rookie. 

I agree with ya here. I would love to keep Juju, Chase, and Dionte as our 3 wr for Bens final years. Too much potential to break up right now and we are going to need some picks to go towards other spots the next couple of years. I wouldn't mind the right OT if one fell to us or TE.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

The answer is yes, I am comfortable paying a receiver going rate at the position. I overall agree that I trust their judgement and in a vacuum sure, I would trust them to draft another rookie. But the other side again, would you take a second/third round receiver for the 5th  straight year and 7 of the last 8 over TE, CB, S, ILB, OT, IOL? Those positions need an infusion of talent and youth too. 

I had another post about JuJu's money somewhere else that covered this in better detail, but his first year hit on a newly signed contract has a really good chance of being <$10M which makes it super palatable. DJ and Claypool would still have 2-3 years before big money so the paying JuJu situation really isn't as bad as its perceived. He is still only 24 starting 2021. 

In my mind, the only real question is if they think Chuks is a viable option at LT. Because if he is, then we already have known replacements on the roster for them. I think you could argue that Dotson has been better that Feiler at LG. Banners best option is back here if the RT position is available so to me, that all makes sense. 

I’m aware of the Steelers low year 1 cap hit...if they didn’t have so many FAs and limited cap room I’d be all for giving Juju a deal.

Im looking more short term draft pick wise...hence why even though TE will be a need,  I think they go FA route after they cut 1 of Vance/Ebron cause TEs generally take 2-3 years to get going.

I just don’t think they wanna move so many pieces on the OL. Dotson and Chuks have played very well, I agree.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Im looking more short term draft pick wise

For me, this is also why I am on the side of signing JuJu. Washington is clearly the odd man out, and while he would be a serviceable replacement for a year - give me Claypool, DJ, and JuJu to end Ben's career and continue to work together instead of throwing another new piece in the mix each of the next two years. 

4 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

I’m aware of the Steelers low year 1 cap hit...if they didn’t have so many FAs and limited cap room I’d be all for giving Juju a deal.

Im looking more short term draft pick wise...hence why even though TE will be a need,  I think they go FA route after they cut 1 of Vance/Ebron cause TEs generally take 2-3 years to get going.

I just don’t think they wanna move so many pieces on the OL. Dotson and Chuks have played very well, I agree.

is there a chance that DDC will be the player they would consider trading seeing how well Dotson has been and then of course cap issues as always? It would be a shame, but the nfl has seen this before

So Mcfarland missed yesterdays practice with an illness designation. We should quarantine him so we don't end up with another Vance situation. We probably won't need Mcfarland's one rush for 2 yards after he slips and falls this week against the Bengals. We've got a mighty 3 headed monster of averageness at RB already. 

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

So Mcfarland missed yesterdays practice with an illness designation. We should quarantine him so we don't end up with another Vance situation. We probably won't need Mcfarland's one rush for 2 yards after he slips and falls this week against the Bengals. We've got a mighty 3 headed monster of averageness at RB already. 

the RB room has been a disappointment this season

Snell and Samuals are wasting two roster spots. I wonder what they plan on doing there this offseason, because I don't see Conner coming back

1 hour ago, August4th said:

the RB room has been a disappointment this season

Snell and Samuals are wasting two roster spots. I wonder what they plan on doing there this offseason, because I don't see Conner coming back

I hate to suggest such a thing, but Bell is a FA after this year. So far he hasn't done much to garner a big deal next year. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back and drafting a back in the 2nd or 3rd. 

Also D'Onta Foreman is a FA. He's always been a guy I liked. He's been riddled with little injuries, but he's only 25. Might be a good buy low candidate. 

This is why I didnt want them to touch a mid-round RB last year in the draft. After Connor walks, draft the best one you can get your hands on and take that ride for 4/5 years with the potential for a mid-tier vet to assist in year 1 (Ranging from rebound candidate Marlon Mack to higher end Phillip Lindsay). We wasted McFarlands pick unless he becomes a stud, which doesn't look super likely at this point and we are going to have to take an RB for the 5th straight.

Anyway, I think Connor has been pretty good they are just....really weird.... about using him. 

Against the Cowboys he opened the game on the first drive with 4 carriers (the drive that you plan all week for). His next carry came halfway through the second quarter (so we are just done with the guy we planned for?). His next carry came with under 2 minutes left in the game (mostly due to gameflow). I dont know, maybe Tomlin isnt happy with his production, but it seems like a really strange time to give Connor a backseat. The Ravens have a pretty darn strong defense, but from week 2 through week 7 Connor was averaging just under 5 yards per carry (4.97) and 8 yards per catch. Just seems odd. Maybe without the Bye now they are trying to rest his wheels a bit more, I dont know. 

A couple comments on some good points to consider for next year.

1. Ju Ju - - Why let a solid quality high draft pick at WR who has rapport with our QB develop and give that talent to another team? Ju Ju and Ben can be as solid as Ben and Hines and even ben and Brown minus the "I'm open every play, so get me the dang ball!"Yes he will cost, but character and talent wise he is great for this team and our QB. I am all for Ju Ju staying. There is no guarantee that there is another Claypool or Ju Ju out there in the second or third round waiting. He leaves and our WR core is  immediately weaker. Period. 

2. James Connor - - Is he really going to command big money in free agency? Connor seems like more of a system back. Even the so-called great ones haven't looked good after leaving and are struggling now: Bell, Gurley and Zeke. This was the absolute cream of the RB crop a few years ago. While I wouldn't want to pay Lev bell type of money to Connor or anyone else at the RB position at this point, Connor may be able to be kept at a reasonable annual rate $5 - $7 million.  Dalvin Cook will command the most money. Then probably Jones from GB. Fournette will be available, but which Fournette would we get? Phillip Lindsey a complimentary piece and not someone I would try to build my ground game around (size and durability a concern), Kamara will be $$$ and not what I would call a great fit running the ball (too expensive for a versatile back), Joe Mixon maybe, but would be on the expensive side, Matt Breida is always injured, Marlon Mack maybe but is rarely healthy a full year,  Kareem Hunt (hmmm!)Todd Gurley (too expensive is the bang for the buck there)? Kenyon Drake maybe.  For the cost and productivity, etc the only back that I would be interested in from a pure talent and versatility role would be Mixon and Hunt who have some previous off the field PR issues (yeah that does matter after all this team's been through lately) and Kenyon Drake. I don't see anyone here that I am 100% confident in turning the rushing attack over to. A rookie is a risk. Consistency is the thing with rookies and are best having a vet behind them to mentor and relieve them. Another year or two of Connor doesn't look all that bad to me.  It would be easier trying to get a better compliment than replacing him. Thoughts?

3. As far as Bud we know teams are going to pay for a sacker and pass rusher. If for no other reason to try to weaken or break up what the Steelers have. TJ and the Minkah are the foundations that we are building the defense around, so money will need to be there for them, but the cap may (should) rise back up and beyond by then. Not a good spot to be in because losing Bud weakens the depth at the position as well. Highsmith may move up, but that only leaves Ola. Because of Highsmith's success, he has not played nearly as much as he did earlier in the year.This may be a $$$ move, but I try to keep him, but inevitably he will probably get a better offer and long term. 

4. Big Al has had one of his better years, but he is over 32 and demands a veteran salary. The hope is tha Chuks can move to the left side and perhaps pay for a veteran back-up as Hawkins has not shown to be capable of playing the position regularly. I hate to lose Feiler as well because he made a move for the better of the team to LG. I think he was better than average at RT. The Steelers are loaded at RT better than the ole Coach Cowher days (he loved some RT's). I try to get or keep Wiz if healthy as a back-up utility guy at G, C. I think Dotson is a RG. I probably move DeCastro to LG. He is more veteran and versatile. Hope Banner is healthy to resume RT and try Chucks at LT. Mighty Matt and Big Al are simply cap casualties. 

With the cap going down are teams really going to spend big in 2021 or wait until things get back to normal.?