Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
turtle28

McKissic Top blocking RB; Gibson last

Recommended Posts

Via Al Galdi: Gibson has only 10 snaps on 3rd downs this season. He has only one touch and that was a 40 yard TD run. He played on less than half the snaps last Sunday. 

McKissic has 41 touches and while he’s been fine on 3rd down, we all know Gibson is the better option.

It’s beyond clear Gibson needs more snaps/touches overall bc besides Terry, he’s our best playmaker. I can’t believe Turner hasn’t gotten him the ball more, especially on 3rd downs. There’s ways to play Gibson and McKissic together on 3rd downs too, put one of them in the slot or both of them in the backfield together and maybe put one in motion out of the backfield to go run an option route a slant or something off of the motion.

Everyone has talked about this all season, but I really hadn’t realized how little Gibson had played on 3rd downs until Galdi pointed it out today. It’s criminal and it’s killing our offensive production.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 I was off on his rushing yards, but JD is tracking how I thought he might be in receiving

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

 

 I was off on his rushing yards, but JD is tracking how I thought he might be in receiving

Those are gross yards though, that doesn't show efficiency.  I don't know what the OP says but the point could be argued could Gibson be doing better with those snaps than McKissoc is?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Those are gross yards though, that doesn't show efficiency.  I don't know what the OP says but the point could be argued could Gibson be doing better with those snaps than McKissoc is?

Quote

Via Al Galdi: Gibson has only 10 snaps on 3rd downs this season. He has only one touch and that was a 40 yard TD reception. He played on less than half the snaps last Sunday. 

McKissic has 41 touches and while he’s been fine on 3rd down, we all know Gibson is the better option.

It’s beyond clear Gibson needs more snaps/touches overall bc besides Terry, he’s our best playmaker. I can’t believe Turner hasn’t gotten him the ball more, especially on 3rd downs. There’s ways to play Gibson and McKissic together on 3rd downs too, put one of them in the slot or both of them in the backfield together and maybe put one in motion out of the backfield to go run an option route a slant or something off of the motion.

Everyone has talked about this all season, but I really hasn’t realized how little Gibson had played on 3rd downs until Galdi pointed it out today. It’s criminal and it’s killing our offensive production.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

 

 I was off on his rushing yards, but JD is tracking how I thought he might be in receiving

That’s great, I like McKissic. If I remember correctly, I predicted he would have a big year before the season but not quite this huge.

I also don’t know how to take these stats that Kyle Stackpole tweeted. I’m happy for McKissic & I have no issues with him but, if Gibson had most of those touches I think most would agree that he’d do more with them. Also, it’s not a good sign for your passing O when a pass catching RB has that kind of production.

I have no problems with McKissic but we all know Antonio Gibson is the better player, he could gain more yards on those touches than McKissic.

The bottom line is that Gibson should be a 3 down back in the way we used to use Portis, Gibson needs more touches especially on 3rd down.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Those are gross yards though, that doesn't show efficiency.  I don't know what the OP says but the point could be argued could Gibson be doing better with those snaps than McKissoc is?

Exactly! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gibson has to learn to pass block if he wants to play on 3rd downs. He never did in college so he it'll be a learning curve for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Gibson has to learn to pass block if he wants to play on 3rd downs. He never did in college so he it'll be a learning curve for him.

Very key point here. Honestly, he’s not “reliable” in any respect, really. Which is okay, he’s about as raw as a RB could possibly be — you can’t him to be playing like an old pro when he’s literally never done any of it before. But as I’ve said elsewhere, they definitely don’t really trust him, and that’s a big deal on 3rd down in particular. 

This is one where I’m not really all fired up. I think it’s a little silly that McKissic gets so many snaps and touches, but it doesn’t really bother me. We are a bad team, and I’m really not upset if we don’t put a ton of mileage on Gibson during a season where we’re not really competing for anything anyway.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Very key point here. Honestly, he’s not “reliable” in any respect, really. Which is okay, he’s about as raw as a RB could possibly be — you can’t him to be playing like an old pro when he’s literally never done any of it before. But as I’ve said elsewhere, they definitely don’t really trust him, and that’s a big deal on 3rd down in particular. 

This is one where I’m not really all fired up. I think it’s a little silly that McKissic gets so many snaps and touches, but it doesn’t really bother me. We are a bad team, and I’m really not upset if we don’t put a ton of mileage on Gibson during a season where we’re not really competing for anything anyway.

Has McKissic been good in pass pro bc if he has, I haven’t seen it. I’ve seen him get bowled over a few times when defensive players have sacked our QBs. If I remember correctly in the first Giants game McKissic got bowled over in pass pro and then Kyle Allen sacked and fumbled which was returned for a TD. That’s the play everyone points to in that game as being the biggest reason we lost.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Gibson has to learn to pass block if he wants to play on 3rd downs. He never did in college so he it'll be a learning curve for him.

But McKissic sucks in pass pro too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Oops I meant 38%, 33 snaps for Gibson in the game. I think some of Wright’s snaps should be going to McKissic or Gibson as a receiver with the other one in the backfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stand corrected in one way about McKissic, I didn’t think he was a good blocker. It’s clear now why they have him in on passing downs and not Gibson, it’s blocking. Still thiugh, I think they could have them both in the game at the same time w/Gibson being used as a WR in the slot or out-wide, coming across in motion for a jet sweep or faking the jet sweep to him where he runs a route off of that into the flat, a wheel route, option route or a slant. I feel they can find more creative ways to get Gibson the ball similar to how they gave Terry the jet sweep last week and he rolled for 17 yards and almost broke it. They’re blessed with guys with return ability and they need to use it more with a few jet sweeps a game or even a few a half:

• McLaurin

• S. Sims

• Gibson

• McKissic

• Wright

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gibson really needs to be a receiver. He just doesn’t have the vision to be a RB. He leaves so many yards on the field. I do like him a lot as a player but I just think he’d be so much more explosive on the outside opposite Terry opening things up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Gibson really needs to be a receiver. He just doesn’t have the vision to be a RB. He leaves so many yards on the field. I do like him a lot as a player but I just think he’d be so much more explosive on the outside opposite Terry opening things up. 

I would like to see that as well but then you need a rb other than McKissic to run the ball. Forget Peyton Barber. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I would like to see that as well but then you need a rb other than McKissic to run the ball. Forget Peyton Barber. 

Would like to see what Love has got -- if he's healthy .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...