McKissic Top blocking RB; Gibson last

turtle28

On 11/10/2020 at 6:22 PM, e16bball said:

Very key point here. Honestly, he’s not “reliable” in any respect, really. Which is okay, he’s about as raw as a RB could possibly be — you can’t him to be playing like an old pro when he’s literally never done any of it before. But as I’ve said elsewhere, they definitely don’t really trust him, and that’s a big deal on 3rd down in particular. 

This is one where I’m not really all fired up. I think it’s a little silly that McKissic gets so many snaps and touches, but it doesn’t really bother me. We are a bad team, and I’m really not upset if we don’t put a ton of mileage on Gibson during a season where we’re not really competing for anything anyway.

On the flip side, there is nothing like getting first-hand experience, and we should be getting Gibson more reps during the game so he can work on his pass-blocking in real time.  Someone else mentioned his vision is poor.  Sometimes that is innate and something we can't teach, but in many cases, you've got to get the reps in and sit the player down in the film room and review what happened and understand their thought process so you can work with them.  

Hiding a player who is this raw to this point, I understand.  But now we should be changing our tune and getting Gibson more touches, especially in the scenarios where he is deficient.  Unless of course, the plan is still to compete for the division- which it is- so there is that.  

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

On the flip side, there is nothing like getting first-hand experience, and we should be getting Gibson more reps during the game so he can work on his pass-blocking in real time.  Someone else mentioned his vision is poor.  Sometimes that is innate and something we can't teach, but in many cases, you've got to get the reps in and sit the player down in the film room and review what happened and understand their thought process so you can work with them.  

Hiding a player who is this raw to this point, I understand.  But now we should be changing our tune and getting Gibson more touches, especially in the scenarios where he is deficient.  Unless of course, the plan is still to compete for the division- which it is- so there is that.  

His missed block on Peppers is one of the reasons that Kyle Allen dislocated/broke  his ankle.

Given who were playing at QB right now and the issues we have at OT with our top two options at LT out right now, I don’t think this is the time for experimentation with Gibson protecting our QB on 3rd and long. I’d like to him get worked into the game plan more though as a receiver and on jet sweeps, they can do that by playing him in the slot over Isaiah Wright. They can put McKissic & Gibson on the field together and should but I don’t expect Turner to do it tbh.

5 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I’m good with getting him as many carries as we can and letting him develop better vision and a better understanding of how to use his blocks and find the holes. To me, that’s definitely a “learn by doing” type skill that he should be getting loads of reps to hone.

I feel a little differently about blitz pickup, though. To me, that’s almost a player safety issue. If he misses a hole or gets impatient on a run, the only consequence is we leave some yards on the field that we could have gained. But when you have a back out there who genuinely doesn’t understand pass blocking schemes and isn’t reliable in blitz pickup, you’re putting your QB’s health at risk. Missing those things, when everyone is relying on you to do your job, gets QBs killed. Much as I hate to say it, if AG doesn’t flat out blow the pickup against NYG, Kyle Allen is probably still walking right now. 

I have to say though, overall I personally am absolutely thrilled with where AG is. I had no expectation that he’d be able to handle the more advanced aspects of RB play as a rookie, especially with no offseason to work on it — but I have been pleasantly surprised with what he’s shown in his actual running ability. I know he had a great burst, but I’ve been borderline giddy at how hard he is to tackle. He has that “always falling forward” quality that the great RBs have. I’m extremely bullish on what he’s going to be for us in a year or two when he’s closer to mastering the mental part of the position.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 2