What to do with Allen Robinson?

WindyCity

I have no idea what the right thing to do with Allen Robinson is.

-It really appears he does not want to be here and who can blame him with this pathetic offense, QB, and coach.

-The franchise tag would really hurt the Bears cap situation.

-But if Nagy and company are back we probably need him at WR.

I do not know what to do. I think if we make a change at GM and HC that he could be tagged and traded, but I doubt we get more than a 2nd or 3rd+ for a guy who wants 18/season.

I see no way he signs a long term extension here.  His best case scenario is the bears drafting a rookie qb meaning that he either starts next year with foles or a rookie, who should at least provide a glimpse of hope.  I’d love a tag and trade, but those are pretty rare for how much people talk about them.  I’d bet a lot of money that he will walk in FA and the best we can hope for is a comp pick.

14 minutes ago, G08 said:

Let him go. We need speed.

I think you are undervaluing him.  There are a lot of speed guys out there that can't catch worth a damn.  I don't think you let him go just because we need speed.  Would you drop him and pick up John Ross?  Please say you wouldn't.

5 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

I see no way he signs a long term extension here.  His best case scenario is the bears drafting a rookie qb meaning that he either starts next year with foles or a rookie, who should at least provide a glimpse of hope.  I’d love a tag and trade, but those are pretty rare for how much people talk about them.  I’d bet a lot of money that he will walk in FA and the best we can hope for is a comp pick.

I think this is the most likely scenario to happen.

2 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

I think you are undervaluing him.  There are a lot of speed guys out there that can't catch worth a damn.  I don't think you let him go just because we need speed.  Would you drop him and pick up John Ross?  Please say you wouldn't.

I like Allen Robinson a lot, but this team needs speed and he is going to cost too much to retain if you look at our garbage cap situation.

No, I wouldn't pick up John Ross over him. To think that is what I am saying would be disingenuous.

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

I like Allen Robinson a lot, but this team needs speed and he is going to cost too much to retain if you look at our garbage cap situation.

No, I wouldn't pick up John Ross over him. To think that is what I am saying would be disingenuous.

Fair enough.  What speed receiver would you take instead of him that would be realistically available?  I submit that we need OL before speed is even considered.  Without OL help we won't have time to get the ball to them anyway.  We had Gabriel.  We have the corpse of Ginn.  We have Mooney.  That is about the level of speed that we can afford.  Any difference making speed receiver that would possibly be available we couldn't afford with or without Robinson.  We would have to draft one.

That being said, if he leaves that money needs to go to funding an OL rebuild. 

2 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Fair enough.  What speed receiver would you take instead of him that would be realistically available?  I submit that we need OL before speed is even considered.  Without OL help we won't have time to get the ball to them anyway.  We had Gabriel.  We have the corpse of Ginn.  We have Mooney.  That is about the level of speed that we can afford.  Any difference making speed receiver that would possibly be available we couldn't afford with or without Robinson.  We would have to draft one.

That being said, if he leaves that money needs to go to funding an OL rebuild. 

I'd let Robinson's CONTRACT walk (note: not Robinson but the reality is that his contract plays a role) and draft Jaylen Waddle in the first.

After that, rounds 2-7 I'm looking hard at upgrading talent on the OL, a developmental QB (Mac Jones in round 2?) and speed/depth at RB.

7 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Do the same transition tag that was done for Fuller if you're really set on him staying here long term. 

Tag and trade if you want better than the end of the 3rd round compensatory pick you could get for him. 

I feel like we rarely ever see tag and trade deals happen so I'm not really counting on that.

I think the Bears will probably give him the transition tag in hopes that the down economic year gives them more bargaining power.

I would be a little shocked if they just flat out let him test FA with no chance to match any offers...unless he just flat out tells management he doesn't want to be here any more regardless?

Edited by topwop1

8 hours ago, G08 said:

I'd let Robinson's CONTRACT walk (note: not Robinson but the reality is that his contract plays a role) and draft Jaylen Waddle in the first.

After that, rounds 2-7 I'm looking hard at upgrading talent on the OL, a developmental QB (Mac Jones in round 2?) and speed/depth at RB.

You are getting fired if you roll with Foles alone in 2021.

A developmental QB can step in week 5-6 and save your season. Based on Foles play you can’t trust him 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WindyCity said:

You are getting fired if you roll with Foles alone in 2021.

A developmental QB can step in week 5-6 and save your season. Based on Foles play you can’t trust him 

Truth.

Here's the ***** of this, though... we won't have a shot (IMO) at Lawrence, Fields, Lance or Wilson. So does Ryan Pace pull the trigger on Kyle Trask? He's more inexperienced than Trubisky was! Dude was a backup all through high school and has 558 passing attempts in college thus far.

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

Truth.

Here's the ***** of this, though... we won't have a shot (IMO) at Lawrence, Fields, Lance or Wilson. So does Ryan Pace pull the trigger on Kyle Trask? He's more inexperienced than Trubisky was! Dude was a backup all through high school and has 558 passing attempts in college thus far.

Why won’t we have a shot at the top 4?

Pace is going to land on of the top 4 QBs, even if he has to bankrupt the entire franchise to do it. Because it is best for Pace’s job security.

• Like 2