What to do with Allen Robinson?

WindyCity

2 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I actually love putting the ball in the players hands here. I really really like Robinson too, but he's not a great fit for the pit the bears dug. Great player, seems like a great guy, but I wish the bears had moved him before the deadline.

Dunno about you guys but I'm moving into salary cap nihilism mode

I like Robinson too, and have no issues with the guy either. Hell I'd be just as pissed. But this is the business.

I think that ARob and his agent could sell him to other teams better than the Bears could too. Can you imagine them calling to other teams?

Bears - "He's really good. Like makes our good guys look not so good. You want him."

Other teams - "If he is so good then why are you trying to get rid of him?"

Bears - "He wants money and to have a real QB throw him passes. That's where we can't meet his demands. You know how good he is? Well are QBs are the bad version of his good. They make bad players look not so bad when you watch them."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sugashane said:

IDK, I think he may sit out until the regular season but I don't think Robinson is going to just sit by and watch $18 mil pass him by for a single season.

On a side note, if he would want out I would let him and his agent seek a trade before I just let him walk for next to nothing. I'd tell him that I'll franchise him the next year too if he doesn't want to participate, or he can sign a franchise tag and I'd allow a trade and a no franchise clause if he wants to play ball. He'll be 28 next season and then 29 in 2022, so if he wants to sit out and miss two seasons and $38+ million to test the free agent market, fine. After the 2021 season there is a TON of cap that can be freed by cutting off the fat.

Pace wouldn't have the balls to do it, but still.

Also, if they refuse to sign the franchise tag then get tagged the following year they still get the escalated value, right? I believe so.

I'm 100% for moving him. Give Pace another 2 and 5 to move way up for a QB ;)

5 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

I actually love putting the ball in the players hands here. I really really like Robinson too, but he's not a great fit for the pit the bears dug. Great player, seems like a great guy, but I wish the bears had moved him before the deadline.

Dunno about you guys but I'm moving into salary cap nihilism mode

Agree. 

10 hours ago, WindyCity said:

They can. It wouldn’t be pretty, but it would be prettier than Miller getting 100 targets.

If he wants to sign long term I am sure they would be there with him, but Robinson would have to want to be here and want to work the contract in favor of the Bears.

He did want to. Maybe not anymore but earlier in the season him and his agent were making a big stink about not getting a long term deal yet.

The Bears have about 179M committed salary in 2021.

The cap is expected to be around 175M.

Cutting Leno, Massie, Skrine, and Graham saves a total of 23M. Foles’ playing time bonuses will likely eat into that amount.

So you’ll have about 20-25M to replace Robinson, Patterson, Mitch, Leno, Massie, Ifedi, Gipson, Skrine, RRH, Graham, Harris, etc.

21 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Cutting Leno, Massie, Skrine, and Graham saves a total of 23M. Foles’ playing time bonuses will likely eat into that amount.

So you’ll have about 20-25M to replace Robinson, Patterson, Mitch, Leno, Massie, Ifedi, Gipson, Skrine, RRH, Graham, Harris, etc.

They can probably replace Robinson, Trubisky, Leno OR Massie, RRH, and Graham in FA/draft. I'd keep Harris at the vet minimum to take KR duty. Ifedi and Gipson can stay on 1-2 year deals. They take 1-2 corners a year. Maybe one- Vildor- can replace Skrine.

24 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Yes that sounds about right.  This is why I don't see any way the Bears tag ARob and let him play at that cap number for the whole season.  If they want to go that route then they'll definitely need to extend a couple others to free up some more space.

Mitch likely gets replaced by a rookie.  Dwayne Harris is a candidate to replace Patterson to handle both the PR and KR roles.

I think Massie can be replaced for cheap by Ifedi on another short term deal or maybe one of the young guys like Bars or Hambright steps up.

Let's just say they have their work cut out for them this coming offseason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Yes that sounds about right.  This is why I don't see any way the Bears tag ARob and let him play at that cap number for the whole season.  If they want to go that route then they'll definitely need to extend a couple others to free up some more space.

Mitch likely gets replaced by a rookie.  Dwayne Harris is a candidate to replace Patterson to handle both the PR and KR roles.

I think Massie can be replaced for cheap by Ifedi on another short term deal or maybe one of the young guys like Bars or Hambright steps up.

Let's just say they have their work cut out for them this coming offseason.

I think Ifedi has proven to be underwhelming even at G, I'd hate to see the Bears count on him at RT.

Bears can save 10.5M by trading Hicks and 11M by trading Fuller.

15 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I think Ifedi has proven to be underwhelming even at G, I'd hate to see the Bears count on him at RT.

Bears can save 10.5M by trading Hicks and 11M by trading Fuller.

I don't disagree but Ifedi will likely cost a lot cheaper than Massie for about the same quality of play.  Ideally would like for a young guy (whether currently on roster or draft pick) to step up and take that job, but never hurts to have experienced depth.  

And I'll say no thank you to the idea of trading away those 2 guys.  Hicks and Fuller have arguably been our best two defensive players this season and for the past few years.  Maybe they can extend Hicks a couple more years and lower his cap number.

Next season will likely be Fuller's last year with the Bears with the emergence of JJ and with him being set to become a FA.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I don't disagree but Ifedi will likely cost a lot cheaper than Massie for about the same quality of play.  Ideally would like for a young guy (whether currently on roster or draft pick) to step up and take that job, but never hurts to have experienced depth.  

And I'll say no thank you to the idea of trading away those 2 guys.  Hicks and Fuller have arguably been our best two defensive players this season and for the past few years.  Maybe they can extend Hicks a couple more years and lower his cap number.

Next season will likely be Fuller's last year with the Bears with the emergence of JJ and with him being set to become a FA.

I've been mulling who I would trade in the offseason and for how much.  Frankly Hicks is coming up on the mileage where you start to expect a drop, and Fuller's expensive and do we really need 2 great corners on a team with so many needs?  I would not be saying no to any good offer, even on our favorite defenseive stars. Ugh. 

• Like 1