Expanded Playoffs approved - 14 to 16 teams IF games are cancelled

Deadpulse

22 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I wonder if now that this is in place, the league wont just barrel through late in the week positive tests like they have been. 

I think it means they’ll be more likely to barrel through up until we get to week 13. Why week 13? All teams will have at that point in time taken their bye week and thus should have played the same exact number of games.

If it were up to me if at that point and time, if things started to look dire with cold and flu season already upon us, I might consider shutting things down for a week or so, form up the bubbles, and head for the playoffs with all playoff teams having gotten a week off for the playoffs.

Scratch that, probably too much money involved to not play a full week. The NFL is too greedy, so I’d probably do something similar to the NBA with the play-in tournament for the bottom seed. Maybe take the 8th and 9th seeds play each other for a play in to the “playoffs” the following week. Gives you an extra game and essentially an extra playoff game to boot.

It also keeps fans from complaining about how they got screwed... unless they’re the 8th seed that loses, but still, they probably wouldn’t have won a super bowl anyway if they couldn’t beat the 9th seed for the play in option. 

I mean, NFL probably never does that idea, but it would definitely drum up viewers, keep the games going so as to not take away attention from the NFL, all while allowing most teams the ability to get their bubbles in place and keep the likely biggest NFL stars from getting exposed. I’d see it all as a win/win.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pf9 said:

Come 2031, the 16-team playoff needs to be permanent. The first-round bye is now too much of a competitive advantage.

Why should half the teams in the league make the playoffs? 

Increasing it to 14 was bad enough.

27 minutes ago, Kirill said:

I hate it. NFL needs a new commissioner bad.

New Commissioner or 32 New Owners? This was a money grab by the owners in a Covid riddled season.

Besides why do you care? You're the mighty Chiefs, you can't be beat. Especially by a 15/16th seed. Right?

Edited by Nabbs4u

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

New Commissioner or 32 New Owners? This was a money grab by the owners in a Covid riddled season.

Besides why do you care? You're the mighty Chiefs, you can't be beat. Especially by a 15/16th seed.

I just think even making the playoffs should be something special. Can a 6-10 team get in now? That would be so stupid.

Edited by Kirill