Jets Sold on Darnold?

Shylo3716

28 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

He kind of has the look of a Bears QB.  (Sorry Bears fans :( ).

I mean, even as a Bears fan, I fully expect our franchise to look at what is probably the best QB class of the past decade from the draft, and instead try and trade for Darnold on an obscene and entirely undeserved contract.

Just because it would be the most Bears thing to do. One does not simply escape QB purgatory... it's kind of like a black hole of concentrated failure.

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Epyon said:

I mean, even as a Bears fan, I fully expect our franchise to look at what is probably the best QB class of the past decade from the draft, and instead try and trade for Darnold on an obscene and entirely undeserved contract.

Just because it would be the most Bears thing to do. One does not simply escape QB purgatory... it's kind of like a black hole of concentrated failure.

Sorry buddy.  I feel your pain.  The Vikings have done a little better over the years, but not by much.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 7:57 PM, Epyon said:

I forget where I read it, but some draft pundit basically said that there's something like 3 teams in the league right now, that shouldn't draft Lawrence #1 and it was specifically because they already had QBs playing at an elite level, that where also young enough to be here for 10 years. He even said (and this was pre injury) that he'd draft Lawrence and trade Burrow as Cincinnati.

The way I see it for the Jets is this:..... The defense jumped off sides, and you have a free play now, courtesy of your draft position and the rarity of the talent at the top... Are you going to check the ball down by trading back, or throw for the end zone by drafting Lawrence? It's imo, too good of an opportunity to pass on, even if it fails.

That pundit has poor taste lol. 

I could name a handful of teams who have young, long-term QB talent they could win a SB with. Even a few teams with guys who won't be around 10 years from now, but long enough to not do that. 

I don't care who the prospect is, he hasn't taken an NFL snap. No way I'm giving up a proven NFL talent for that without it being a necessity. Andrew Luck was the "best prospect since..." and now the Colts are relying on the corpse of Philip Rivers and Jacoby Brissett at QB. Not that the Colts shouldn't have taken Luck, but that should be a cautionary tale that no prospect is worth mortgaging a franchise for. 

At best, you get a guy in a bad spot because of talent deficiencies and risk breaking them. At worst, you wind up like Indy as too good for a top tier pick and relying on someone else's cast off for the foreseeable future. 

The only teams that should take Lawrence are the teams in position to, and a few outliers without a 5 year plan at QB (NE, Chicago, etc.). 

The Jets would be stupid not to take him, because Darnold is clearly not the answer. But 28 other teams? Not a snowballs chance in Miami on the 4th of July. 

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

That pundit has poor taste lol. 

I could name a handful of teams who have young, long-term QB talent they could win a SB with. Even a few teams with guys who won't be around 10 years from now, but long enough to not do that. 

I don't care who the prospect is, he hasn't taken an NFL snap. No way I'm giving up a proven NFL talent for that without it being a necessity. Andrew Luck was the "best prospect since..." and now the Colts are relying on the corpse of Philip Rivers and Jacoby Brissett at QB. Not that the Colts shouldn't have taken Luck, but that should be a cautionary tale that no prospect is worth mortgaging a franchise for. 

At best, you get a guy in a bad spot because of talent deficiencies and risk breaking them. At worst, you wind up like Indy as too good for a top tier pick and relying on someone else's cast off for the foreseeable future. 

The only teams that should take Lawrence are the teams in position to, and a few outliers without a 5 year plan at QB (NE, Chicago, etc.). 

The Jets would be stupid not to take him, because Darnold is clearly not the answer. But 28 other teams? Not a snowballs chance in Miami on the 4th of July. 

I believe the pundit in question was making his claim under the hypothetical that if any of the teams had #1 overall, they would be selecting Lawrence #1 with the exception of basically the Chiefs (because Mahomes) and a few other teams that had relatively young qbs playing well.  Green Bay, for example, would trade Rodgers because of age (not unlike drafting Luck and dumping Manning). Most of the rest of the league would be trading their qbs for talent reasons. I do wish I could find the quote, as he had some hotter takes for the 3 he'd keep (and like I said he would hypothetically take Lawrence and trade Burrow as Cincinnati, for example). The one where he was on the fence was Seattle with Wilson, as he's playing well and getting up there in age, but likely still going to be in the league a while. 

Regardless it's all entirely hypothetical for everyone but the Jets or possibly one or two other teams at this point, and none of the teams in contention for #1 are really in any kind of position to pass on a QB prospect like Lawrence. 

Darnold is going to be the next Ryan Fitzpatrick.  He's going to ride a bench somewhere for a couple years after the Jets take Lawrence, then he'll have a spat of good play every two years but never actually be The Guy and bounce around the league for the next 15 years.