Week 10 GDT - SF @ NO

N4L

How much will the niners lose by this weekend?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. How much will the niners lose by this weekend?

• 1-3 points
    • 3-7 points
    • 8-14 points
    • 15-21 points
    • 22+ points

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I mentioned this on the pod. Don't think this is going to happen unless one of them is someone like Brian hoyer.  You want someone who knows the scheme to help relate it to those who don't. Mullens is almost a lock to be back i think (assuming Jimmy is not)

Yeah I'm ok with Mullens being back if we draft a QB in the first he knows the offense better then anyone outside of Kyle. I agree with @Forge. We need to move on from Jimmy trade/cut and draft a QB in the first. We can put that money into retaining Trent Williams/others. I hope we get aggressive I don't mind trading next year first to move up to get whoever kyle falls in love with. I just pray we don't try to trade for Cousins. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

The problem is, I don't know if you want to put Hyder in that spot where he has to replace Ford. If we are cutting Ford, we have to replace him with someone else + re-sign Hyder. And Hyder (I think...I could be way off) will cost all of the money we save from Ford, and he's really best suited for a rotational role. So you're making a flat trade off there (maybe with a slightly better structure). Do you want to get rid of Ford for Hyder? I'm not completely against it, but that's what you're doing and I have no idea how that works in chemistry, because we have absolutely no speed there coming from the edge (I love Bosa, but he's not a "speed" guy). 

I considered that maybe we will continue to nickel and dime it there and keep Ford. So I'm expecting Ford / Bosa + Blair (again, I think this just makes sense...we will have an idea on his knee by then either through out own eval or through the game). AA I kind of feel moves into a bigger timeshare at 3t with Kinlaw occupying Jones' role as a 1t? Then maybe we sign some speed edge fodder. We put in a waiver claim on Takk and would have had him if not for hte Bengals, so maybe we have interest in signing him to a prove it deal. I think there's a good chance that we bring Willis back on the cheap. Maybe someone like Smoot, Harris, Kpassagnon (he's not really speed, but he's loooooooooong lol) ? There are a lot of those types out there. 

If we cut Ford, it certainly opens up possibilities for someone a bit more expensive, but I'm just not sure that's what the niners would want to do anyway. You're buying at the top of the market for Hyder and he's already 30 years old. I think you just have to move on. 

I mean at this point it is legitimate to wonder if Ford even wants to continue playing with his injuries. Obviously if he was to retire, this isn't a discussion but I can see the team getting rid of him this offseason. He's simply one of those talented yet injury prone players and he can't be relied upon. 

Fair point on Hyder but I guess it depends on how much he will command on the open market. Again, I'm fine with Blair but he's going to have to show something when he returns after the bye week. We likely have to draft one as it is even if Ford is to be retained. 

14 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean at this point it is legitimate to wonder if Ford even wants to continue playing with his injuries. Obviously if he was to retire, this isn't a discussion but I can see the team getting rid of him this offseason. He's simply one of those talented yet injury prone players and he can't be relied upon. 

Fair point on Hyder but I guess it depends on how much he will command on the open market. Again, I'm fine with Blair but he's going to have to show something when he returns after the bye week. We likely have to draft one as it is even if Ford is to be retained. 

Congrats on 5k!

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I must have missed it earlier but Hasty's done for the season with a broken collarbone. 

We should be getting back Mostert back after the bye week but still unfortunate for the rookie. 

Mostert... Wilson.... Coleman.... Hasty.... Imagine being told 4 running backs would hit the IR for us this year and one of them would not be Jet

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Forge said:

Mostert... Wilson.... Coleman.... Hasty.... Imagine being told 4 running backs would hit the IR for us this year and one of them would not be Jet

Right? That's pretty amazing right there. 

So our run game has completely fell apart the last few weeks and a big reason for that is teams are blitzing like crazy from the edge to take away the outside zone. I'm interested in seeing how Shanahan adjusts to that. I mean it must be stated, but not having Mostert obviously hurts as he is clearly on another level from any other back on the team. What also helped the run game was the threat of Deebo on those around arounds or forward pitches but what I question is why aren't we still running those actions as much with someone else? They won't be Deebo level but why not try a few with say James? Even a few to Aiyuk though Shanny wants to utilize him a bit different but you can't just take that part away from the offense since it works so well. 

But honestly with all those corner blitzes from the slot and LBs coming through the A gap, you really can make them pay by getting your backs in space but for some reason that's not even happening. The fact that no adjustment was made to Johnson's blitzes is mind blowing...Or maybe Mullens just wasn't recognizing it and wasn't going to his "hot" receiver.

Par for course though, Shanahan was once again optimistic that we will have players returning after the bye week and things will get better lol. 

13 hours ago, Forge said:

The problem is, I don't know if you want to put Hyder in that spot where he has to replace Ford. If we are cutting Ford, we have to replace him with someone else + re-sign Hyder. And Hyder (I think...I could be way off) will cost all of the money we save from Ford, and he's really best suited for a rotational role. So you're making a flat trade off there (maybe with a slightly better structure). Do you want to get rid of Ford for Hyder? I'm not completely against it, but that's what you're doing and I have no idea how that works in chemistry, because we have absolutely no speed there coming from the edge (I love Bosa, but he's not a "speed" guy). 

I considered that maybe we will continue to nickel and dime it there and keep Ford. So I'm expecting Ford / Bosa + Blair (again, I think this just makes sense...we will have an idea on his knee by then either through out own eval or through the game). AA I kind of feel moves into a bigger timeshare at 3t with Kinlaw occupying Jones' role as a 1t? Then maybe we sign some speed edge fodder. We put in a waiver claim on Takk and would have had him if not for hte Bengals, so maybe we have interest in signing him to a prove it deal. I think there's a good chance that we bring Willis back on the cheap. Maybe someone like Smoot, Harris, Kpassagnon (he's not really speed, but he's loooooooooong lol) ? There are a lot of those types out there. 

If we cut Ford, it certainly opens up possibilities for someone a bit more expensive, but I'm just not sure that's what the niners would want to do anyway. You're buying at the top of the market for Hyder and he's already 30 years old. I think you just have to move on. 

I just don't see Ford playing football again. His body just doesn't seem willing to hold up. Verrett could be the case study you look to and say anything is possible. But knee and back injuries for a D-Lineman are iike a death sentence career wise. And he has been dealing with both for awhile now. Even if he does try and come back, it should be in a situational role. I think his days as a starter are over...

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I woke up when the game was in the 4th. Checked the app, saw the score, and then saw James muff a punt on the readout. Decided to go back to sleep. Hope you guys got something out of the game. 

Aiyuk continues to impress and Jordan Reed had one of the best catches I've seen from a 49ers skill player in quite some time. I went into this game fully expecting an L, and honestly think we have two more games that we could possibly win. Oh, also Kinlaw finally got home and came away with 1.5 sacks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I woke up when the game was in the 4th. Checked the app, saw the score, and then saw James muff a punt on the readout. Decided to go back to sleep. Hope you guys got something out of the game. 

16 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Aiyuk continues to impress and Jordan Reed had one of the best catches I've seen from a 49ers skill player in quite some time. I went into this game fully expecting an L, and honestly think we have two more games that we could possibly win. Oh, also Kinlaw finally got home and came away with 1.5 sacks. 

And we had one of, if not the worst, special teams games I have ever seen

1 hour ago, Forge said:

And we had one of, if not the worst, special teams games I have ever seen

With the turnover we have had, with the lack of preseason (which means lack of special teams reps for the underside of our roster) I guess we should have seen this coming.