Jump to content

Simmons / Bolles Watch


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Denver will keep one of these guys, but not both. I wouldn't be shocked to see us keep Bolles but part ways with Simmons. Bolles has been significantly better this season, maybe something finally stuck. Given our pathetic track record with OTs, I'd be inclined to keep him.

The Stanley/Bakhtiari deals, IMO, shouldn't change the market for Bolles. He's not as good as either of them, and no one is going to pay him that kind of money. If he demands that money, let him walk and sign Simmons.

Keep in mind the franchise tag is an option with both guys, too.   For OL it's 14.8M and S it's 11.1M (well that's the 2020 #', we'll likely see a bump for next year).    I'd likely tag Bolles if his demands are outrageous, and then let 2021 play out.   While my feelings are well known on the fact that a 5th year option (which would have been 11.1M) was a no-brainer, given it's not guaranteed except for injury.  So if Bolles & Elway can't come to a reasonable agreement, then take the 3.7M loss on the mistake from last year, and move on.  

If Elway extends either guy, then the tag becomes a very clear option for the other.    The other reason for the tag with Bolles is that it would also then allow Elway time to address T in the draft (which he should for RT, unless somehow we have that guy on our roster - Calvin Anderson literally being the only guy who's at least not failed yet, unlike the others lol).

Edited by Broncofan
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Denver will keep one of these guys, but not both. I wouldn't be shocked to see us keep Bolles but part ways with Simmons. Bolles has been significantly better this season, maybe something finally stuck. Given our pathetic track record with OTs, I'd be inclined to keep him.

The Stanley/Bakhtiari deals, IMO, shouldn't change the market for Bolles. He's not as good as either of them, and no one is going to pay him that kind of money. If he demands that money, let him walk and sign Simmons.

He's a better run blocker than either, one of the best I've seen at LT. Pass pro he might be a bit behind, maybe, but he's been excellent there too. And yes, someone will pay him that money. The OT market got a little out of control with Tunsil last year and it ain't coming back as Bakhtiari's deal indicates.

Edited by AKRNA
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2020 at 10:23 AM, AKRNA said:

He's a better run blocker than either, one of the best I've seen at LT. Pass pro he might be a bit behind, maybe, but he's been excellent there too. And yes, someone will pay him that money. The OT market got a little out of control with Tunsil last year and it ain't coming back as Bakhtiari's deal indicates.

Yeah man. He’s allowed 9 total pressures and zero sacks through 10 games. He’s playing like a literal first team all pro. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point, I think Bolles on franchise tag is there way we will go. Give him another year to prove he's worth a long term deal. But he won't be walking; Elway hasn't had a top quality LT his entire time in our front office and he ain't letting one walk.

Hopefully we work something out with Simmons. But his INT numbers this year are driving his value up as each game goes on. Is he playing as well? Perhaps not. But he brings so much versatility to a Defense and someone will pay him. Without any doubt he will have to be the highest paid Safety in the league or he will go. That means (at least) 4 years, $60m with $27m gtd.

I would do the deal. Pay the guys who are doing the right things. He's a smart player with a very good attitude. He isn't going to let us down and he is always available. With Casey ($12.3m) and Bouye ($13.5m) almost certainly coming off the books, it isn't as if we don't have room.

I am sure @Broncofan will be delighted with our 2021 dead cap figure right now. We only have $601k right now which doesn't affect us (and a far cry from our usual mess in this regard). 

So, to summarise:

Bolles - franchise tag
Simmons - sign long term
Casey - cut. Draft DE very early and (attempt) to re-sign Shelby Harris
Bouye - cut. Play Ojemudia

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Is there a specific reason why

It's in the CBA? 😆

I guess the logic was that there needs to be a deadline to negotiate a long term deal, otherwise the saga would drag on throughout the season.

I can't believe the players agreed to a franchise tag at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hate to say it, but the fact the tag doesn't allow an extension works in DEN's favor IMO.   The 2nd tag would be a 20 percent raise, and while expensive, the bigger issue is we also get to make sure there isn't a serious injury between now and March, where an extension would be disastrous for the team.   

It really is an example of how ridiculous it was for the NFLPA to not fight the league more on the recent CBA to not modify or even scrap the franchise tag.  Because it only affects <10 percent of the players during a career (at most, those who get it and where it's used as leverage), the other 90 percent don't care, not realizing it helps control the market even more.  But the NFLPA is so bad, this isn't even 2nd or 3rd on their "things a good players union would address".

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Hate to say it, but the fact the tag doesn't allow an extension works in DEN's favor IMO.   The 2nd tag would be a 20 percent raise, and while expensive, the bigger issue is we also get to make sure there isn't a serious injury between now and March, where an extension would be disastrous for the team.   

It really is an example of how ridiculous it was for the NFLPA to not fight the league more on the recent CBA to not modify or even scrap the franchise tag.  Because it only affects <10 percent of the players during a career (at most, those who get it and where it's used as leverage), the other 90 percent don't care, not realizing it helps control the market even more.  But the NFLPA is so bad, this isn't even 2nd or 3rd on their "things a good players union would address".

Is the franchise tag guaranteed money?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...