Abe56

POG  

18 members have voted

1. 1. POG

• Marcus Maye - 4 tackles, 1 INT
    • Morris Claiborne - 9 Tackles, 2 PD's, 1 INT
    • Josh McCown - 23/30 194 Yards, 2 TD's, 1 INT
    • ASJ - 6 Catches, 29 Yards, 1 TD

I think we need to hold off on locking down Claiborne.  He's been good but he's always been pretty good when he plays this in nothing new.  He is however injury prone so I'd be hesitant to lock him up for big money on the long term.  I'd be fine with a 2 year deal at average CB money but I wouldn't feel comfortable with big money and 4 years.  Hopefully no other teams offer that either and we can get him on a reasonable deal.

Edit:  He gets player of the game.  Maye gave him a run at it but Mo gets the edge.

Davis should be in consideration. He had a sack and hit Hogan on Claiborne Int. Catanzaro kick of 57 yards and no run backs on his kickoffs put him in consideration also. But the real player of the game had to be Kizer with his turnovers at the 3 and 4 yard line.

17 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

I think we need to hold off on locking down Claiborne.  He's been good but he's always been pretty good when he plays this in nothing new.  He is however injury prone so I'd be hesitant to lock him up for big money on the long term.  I'd be fine with a 2 year deal at average CB money but I wouldn't feel comfortable with big money and 4 years.  Hopefully no other teams offer that either and we can get him on a reasonable deal.

Edit:  He gets player of the game.  Maye gave him a run at it but Mo gets the edge.

I agree, I don't believe Claiborne will get top CB money but I can see us giving him a 3 year 30M deal or something in that wheelhouse if he plays the full season. 

2 hours ago, ekill08x said:

I dont believe in PFF. I dont believe in QBR either. Show me the math behind this. I love when people come up with stats in sports and can't explain how they arrived at the number. Prove it. 

This is from their Wiki:

"PFF grades every NFL player's every play on a scale of -2 to +2 using half point increments.[5] The grades are based on context and performance. A 4-yard run that gains a first down after two broken tackles will receive a better grade than a 4-yard run on third-and-5, where the ball carrier does nothing more than expected. A quarterback who makes a good pass that a receiver tips into the arms of a defender will not negatively affect the quarterback's grade on that play, despite the overall negative result for the team. Furthermore, grades are separated by play type. Beyond just an overall grade, an offensive lineman receives one grade for pass-blocking and one for run-blocking.[6] The average grade is meant to be zero, and raw grades are normalized. In watching every game, PFF is also able to record information and create data that is typically unavailable. One example is how frequently individual offensive linemen yield pressure."

Certainly not an exact science but I feel like you can score this yourself at home, grade scale could be different but the idea of positive plays vs negative plays seems sound. I think other grading systems can be skewed to present different arguements . Having some human judgement, if done fairly, can weed out good plays and bad plays. Think Bortles garbage time TDs, those plays wouldn't account for much because they aren't as relevant to the outcome of the game. If stats and other metrics look good and PFF scores support it then it only further confirms. Players that have drastically different grades can be identified and studied further if something doesn't line up.

I vote Seferian-Jenkins. The defense played well from the start, but it would have been all for naught if the offense continued to stall. The TE changed our offense completely during the game. Without him, we would not have been able to make enough plays to win the game. It's as simple as that.

3 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

This is from their Wiki:

"PFF grades every NFL player's every play on a scale of -2 to +2 using half point increments.[5] The grades are based on context and performance. A 4-yard run that gains a first down after two broken tackles will receive a better grade than a 4-yard run on third-and-5, where the ball carrier does nothing more than expected. A quarterback who makes a good pass that a receiver tips into the arms of a defender will not negatively affect the quarterback's grade on that play, despite the overall negative result for the team. Furthermore, grades are separated by play type. Beyond just an overall grade, an offensive lineman receives one grade for pass-blocking and one for run-blocking.[6] The average grade is meant to be zero, and raw grades are normalized. In watching every game, PFF is also able to record information and create data that is typically unavailable. One example is how frequently individual offensive linemen yield pressure."

Certainly not an exact science but I feel like you can score this yourself at home, grade scale could be different but the idea of positive plays vs negative plays seems sound. I think other grading systems can be skewed to present different arguements . Having some human judgement, if done fairly, can weed out good plays and bad plays. Think Bortles garbage time TDs, those plays wouldn't account for much because they aren't as relevant to the outcome of the game. If stats and other metrics look good and PFF scores support it then it only further confirms. Players that have drastically different grades can be identified and studied further if something doesn't line up.

I appreciate the search and some explanation I just often find that the eye test rarely matches the grade. I do however wonder how higher NFL scouts and executives feel about theyre grading system. 

9 hours ago, ekill08x said:

I appreciate the search and some explanation I just often find that the eye test rarely matches the grade. I do however wonder how higher NFL scouts and executives feel about theyre grading system. 

I agree, I don't like the eye test because most eyes I do not trust haha. I'd have to imagine scouts have a similar system especially when grading passes and plays from the QBs, they may not use PFF exact grading, they may have slightly different interpretations on what a good vs bad play is.

Archived