Roster Catchup

theJ

A couple of things happened that never got talked about here:

1) Bengals traded Carlos Dunlap for a 7th round pick and G Finney.

2) Bengals signed Quinton Spain

I heard Spain played the other day, but he's listed on the practice squad.  What's up with that?

1 hour ago, theJ said:

A couple of things happened that never got talked about here:

1) Bengals traded Carlos Dunlap for a 7th round pick and G Finney.

2) Bengals signed Quinton Spain

I heard Spain played the other day, but he's listed on the practice squad.  What's up with that?

Players can be brought up twice to play while on the PS.  I'm guessing he signed here to the PS and is either waiting to get called by a contender or will eventually be signed to the roster.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/yearly/cap/

Good site to trac the cap and where the fat needs trimmed.

AJ Green - $18 million (UFA)
John Ross - $5.5 million (UFA)
Alex Erickson - $2 million (UFA)
Cethen Carter - $2 million (UFA)

That's $27.5 million gone from the WR room that can be replaced by a mid round draft pick and a vet FA pickup imo.  No need for cuts as Boyd, Higgins, and Tate will be around.  Only Boyd is getting serious money now.

The offensive line is where things start to get a little dicey.  I've long been a proponent of cutting Bobby Hart, but he's actually been OK this year when healthy.  I'd still draft OT rd 1 if the value is there, but if it's not then I wouldn't reach over an edge rusher or elite CB.  That said, cutting Hart saves $6.9 million, and honestly, I wouldn't be wholly opposed to letting Adeniji run with it in 2021 as the starter and sign a vet backup swing tackle.  I forgot that Price was still guaranteed money in 2021, so that's a sunk cost, just keep him as a backup C behind Hopkins.  XSF, The Jonah, and Hopkins aren't going anywhere and that's $15 million tied up in the oline.  Finney has a $3.5 million cap hit for next year.  That might be a cut.  Spain will be an UFA, so that might cost a little bit too, maybe in the $3 million range, but I'd like to see him back.

Bobby Hart - $6.9 million (cut)
BJ Finney - $3.5 million (UFA)

That'd be $10.4 million freed up, but if the oline can run into just a little bit of health luck and get one more good piece, I think it's closer than most think to respectability.

Defensive line, Dunlap is already gone, and Geno is owed $31 million over the next two years.  Geno has been one of my favorite Bengals in my lifetime, but it might be time to move on.  Especially if we want to sign Lawson long term, which I'm on board with the improvements he has made in the run game this year. Getting Wren and Tupou back next year will help the interior depth, and I think one of Daniels or Covington can round out that group and be solid.  I like Hubbard, but he isn't an elite edge rusher, so I wouldn't pass on one if we don't want to go OT or CB.

Geno Atkins - $14.8 million (cut, although i'm sure there is some dead money in that too)

I'm not sure if Bynes will be brought back or not, I lean towards not since the young guys are showing some promise, even that's only $1.6 million

John Bynes - $1.6 million (UFA)

We're paying Shawn Williams almost $5 million, so I assume he's gone in UFA.  I've been a little disappointed with Vonn Bell, and we're paying him fairly well.  I thought it was a deal at the time, but now not so much.  In the box SS types can be found in the draft in the mid rounds. The only DB's we have under contract for 2021 are Trae Waynes ($16 million), Bell ($5.5 million), and Bates (last year of rookie deal.  Now seems to be the time to remake the secondary.  Do we pay William Jackson big money?  We absolutely have to sign Bates imo, he's part of the new core.  I wouldn't be opposed to re-signing Alexander if we can get him at the same price ($4 million).  Rd 1 CB might be the way to go with how up and down Jackson has been.

Vonn Bell - Cut ($5.5 million)

I'll be shocked if Huber, Bullock, or Harris go anywhere despite all being free agents next year.  Probably all back with very slight raises.  Nothing too serious in terms of dead cap for 2021, a couple million dead money from Dunlap, and then anything we get from cuts.  Next i'll think about what my plan would be to reshape the roster.

Spotrac has the Bengals as 40.6 mil under the 2021 cap currently, with 36 players signed. Joe Thuney is on the franchise tag this year for NE but they won't tag him again so we should make a run at him. Make him the highest paid guard in the league. Adding a probowler next to Jonah will shore up our o-line considerably. We should still draft Sewell if we get a chance. Cutting Hart and Uzomah would pretty much pay for Thuney at 13 mil per year. 

Amusingly, Spotrac has a valuation feature for some Bengals scheduled to be free agents. Green, Ross, and WJ3 all have fair market values less than they are currently making. My guess is incumbent Bengals management re-signs WJ3 with a raise and proclaims it a great deal. We really need to sign a top tier free agent on both the O and D lines. That would help a lot and free up the draft. Not holding my breath though. 

On 11/16/2020 at 11:44 AM, sparky151 said:

My guess is incumbent Bengals management re-signs WJ3 with a raise and proclaims it a great deal.

I like what WJ3 has brought to the team this year, but that guy seems to only play when he wants to or needs to.  If they bring him back, i'd like to see the deal resemble something like Andy Dalton's previous deal, where they could get out of it at any time after the first year.  Make the guy play for it.

On 11/16/2020 at 11:44 AM, sparky151 said:

We really need to sign a top tier free agent on both the O and D lines.

Agreed.

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Need a stud olineman, and a stud edge rusher.  And we need to pull a Geno and get one of those with a rd 3 or 4 pick.

Sewell in the first.  carlos Basham in the second.  he's starting to slip behind other guys.  OG in the third, DT in the 4th, then TEs and special teams.