Turtle’s 🐢 2021 Mock Offseason

turtle28

On 11/12/2020 at 10:09 PM, turtle28 said:

1. Alex Smith retires

Smith isn't retiring. He's put up numbers that say "I can still play" (we can argue about that), but he isn't throwing in the towel now. They're either cutting him or ... and I cannot believe I'm typing this ... keeping him.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

Smith isn't retiring. He's put up numbers that say "I can still play" (we can argue about that), but he isn't throwing in the towel now. They're either cutting him or ... and I cannot believe I'm typing this ... keeping him.

Yes, but I did this 4 days ago. I did not expect Smith to go for near 400 today and look so efficient.

It’s crazy to say & think but it wouldn’t shock me if Alex is our starter next year and Kyle is backing him up. I think if Kyle is healthy by April that Rivera will trade Dwayne for a mid round pick.

I want us to draft a QB but I don’t think Rivera will do it if Alex continues to play like this and Kyle is at worst a serviceable back up with some upside and he’ll only be 25 next year.

With our top 10 pick we will probably end up taking an OT like Sewell(Oregon) or Leathwood (Alabama), a WR like Chase(LSU) or DeVonta Smith (Alabama) or a LB like Micah Parsons (Penn St.).

Replace Fields w/ one of those guys and it’s still a heck of a draft.

Edited by turtle28

It would be something awfully close to unprecedented for a team this bad to bring back a QB that old. At least one that doesn’t have a long and storied history with the franchise.

The Packers brought back Favre at age 37 after a 4-12 season. And the Giants brought back Eli at the same age after a 3-13 campaign in 2017. But both of those guys won rings for those teams, and had played (basically) their entire careers there. They had earned the right to take one last shot at it, even if it probably wasn’t the best thing for the organization. Alex Smith has won 6 games in Washington. Much as I like him as a person, he hasn’t earned that kind of deference here. 

At some point, the light bulb has to go on for Rivera...doesn’t it? The reality is the multi-year rebuild he preached about nonstop all offseason. The mirage is any hope of being remotely relevant at the moment. It’s taken consecutive epic comebacks just to make things close against the Giants and Lions. I honestly can’t believe I’m having to even write this paragraph.

14 minutes ago, e16bball said:

At some point, the light bulb has to go on for Rivera...doesn’t it? The reality is the multi-year rebuild he preached about nonstop all offseason. The mirage is any hope of being remotely relevant at the moment. It’s taken consecutive epic comebacks just to make things close against the Giants and Lions. I honestly can’t believe I’m having to even write this paragraph.

What, just because they were losing by 13 and 21 points deep into the third quarter against two teams (if you remove their wins against Washington) has a combined record of 4-12, you think Rivera doesn't have a brilliant twelve dimensional chess plan for winning the Super Bowl in February?! HEATHEN!!!

48 minutes ago, Woz said:

What, just because they were losing by 13 and 21 points deep into the third quarter against two teams (if you remove their wins against Washington) has a combined record of 4-12, you think Rivera doesn't have a brilliant twelve dimensional chess plan for winning the Super Bowl in February?! HEATHEN!!!

I’m really worried they’ll make a big run at Dak. 

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

It would be something awfully close to unprecedented for a team this bad to bring back a QB that old. At least one that doesn’t have a long and storied history with the franchise.

The Packers brought back Favre at age 37 after a 4-12 season. And the Giants brought back Eli at the same age after a 3-13 campaign in 2017. But both of those guys won rings for those teams, and had played (basically) their entire careers there. They had earned the right to take one last shot at it, even if it probably wasn’t the best thing for the organization. Alex Smith has won 6 games in Washington. Much as I like him as a person, he hasn’t earned that kind of deference here. 

Personally, I don’t see it. Rivera to me will get emotionally tied to what Alex went through and I’m sure he’s pleased with how he played today - particularly in the second half and in the second half of last week minus the one bad int; the second one across the middle he threw across his body.

I’m speaking this of what I think Rivera will do, not what I want which I know you know but other will probably take it a different way as me wanting Alex to remain the starter which isn’t true. I want Haskins to start even now - really all 16 games even if he played awful -and if Haskins was starting and didn’t play well the rest of the season then, I’d draft a QB in round 1 next year.

Sadly, this franchise doesn’t think like Most of us in this forum who’ve been here for a decade to 15 years, they just don’t. I don’t see them doing the right thing here and cutting Alex in March and drafting a 1st round QB. Instead they’ll take a LT, LB or WR to make the team Around their QB better. 

Alex is Dan’s guy & Dan/Ron are so inspired by him that they’ll keep him. Kyle is Ron/Scotty’s guy and they’ll retain him as an exclusive rights free agent in March IMO. Then, they’ll continue to develop him in hopes that he can either beat out Alex for the starting job or be his back up next year.

Edited by turtle28