Week 10 General Discussion

ET80

6 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Maybe I’m just warped, but I could understand the situation. His reactions are certainly extreme, but they changed his privileges. Did he know? They also apparently didn’t let his guest in after he arrived and explicitly gave instructions to let the guest in as specified in his privileges? Why not?

Okay but here's my issue: Maybe we can understand the reason for getting upset. Maybe in a LOT of these dust-ups we can understand why he may be feeling emotions of frustration. But the point is his coping mechanisms are sooo maladaptive, or entirely absent. He lives his life just reacting to every emotion he feels with zero regard for consequences. Because for much of his adult life there haven't been consequences. Even the head of the HOA in the story said she didn't want to make a big deal out of it for fear of retribution (let's not forget the disturbing, threatening text messages he exchanged with..."friends"? "associates"? in regards to one of the women in the SI story last year).

Given his complete lack of control at even the most minor of provocations, it seems like only a matter of time before someone is more seriously injured, and it's a miracle that it hasn't happened yet (again, that we really KNOW of...the accusations are there).

Furthermore, what REALLY gives me a hair across the ***, is that he has a history of targeting individuals with relatively...and I don't mean this in any offensive way, I just don't know how to describe it...service industry/menial jobs. Like, just every day, normal workers who are punching the clock to earn their money to support their education and/or family, etc, and probably have relatively little control of whatever the genesis of Brown's issues are. The heads of the neighborhood he lives in changed his gate privileges (oh let's not completely ignore the fact that he even did something to get them rescinded in the first place, who freaking knows what that was), and told the security guard as much. Brown takes it out on the poor goddamn security guard?? God that pisses me off so much. I have no time, energy, or sympathy for some ******* treating workers like dirt that they deem "below" them: servers, uber drivers, custodians, etc. I can't stand that. You are an automatic d-bag if you do that.

So, yeah. This guy deserves absolutely zero benefit of the doubt.

• Like 4

AB gets himself kicked out of the league for a year after a virtually unprecedented string of bizarre incidences and ridiculous behavior, is on probation, does this BS literally like a week before signing with the Bucs, and that garbage franchise says "oh yeah we knew about it, we really trust that he's turned himself around and will be a very good boy from now on".

Jesus H., this effing league. If there was any justice in the world every one of us would be able to peel ourselves away from this league and let it crumble to dust around these dirtbag owners.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DannyB said:

AB gets himself kicked out of the league for a year after a virtually unprecedented string of bizarre incidences and ridiculous behavior, is on probation, does this BS literally like a week before signing with the Bucs, and that garbage franchise says "oh yeah we knew about it, we really trust that he's turned himself around and will be a very good boy from now on".

Jesus H., this effing league. If there was any justice in the world every one of us would be able to peel ourselves away from this league and let it crumble to dust around these dirtbag owners.

The only thing I can say is that not everyone in this league is like Antonio Brown. 

34 minutes ago, DannyB said:

Even the head of the HOA in the story said she didn't want to make a big deal out of it for fear of retribution (let's not forget the disturbing, threatening text messages he exchanged with..."friends"? "associates"? in regards to one of the women in the SI story last year).

She also later said in the interview that her comments were taken out of context and amplified far more than what she thought. Only the article was written to include that part a couple paragraphs after IIRC.

In terms of treating service industry people in this manner, only... let’s be real. He’s not doing these things specifically. I’m not defending his actions, make no mistake. But he’s doing this to everyone. GM of the ball club, you can get it. Owner of a sports team and billion dollar company? You can get it too. I’m sure if the president or any dictators of 3rd world countries gave Brown some heat, they could get it too. Heck Thanos shows up with the Infinity Gauntlet and comments about Brown’s hairstyle in “some kind of way”, I’m sure he gets a rock thrown in his direction too. 😂

I don’t think his anger and d-bag-ness (made up word I know) knows any bounds. BUT the one caveat here for me is that there have legitimately been people who have had anger management issues or substance abuse issues and needed legitimate help. People who have gotten said help and turned their life around.

While I’m still incredibly skeptical, IF Brown has literally noticed his anger is a problem and IF he’s legitimately and actively trying to understand that problem and improve himself, then I don’t think this is the type of situation that should take away his chance at redemption.

Again, I’m incredibly skeptical. And a lot of his other actions have been very destructive. Even this is an extreme reaction. But before these scenarios tended to end with Brown refusing to pay people and litigation getting involved and people talking bad about him. Yet this lady is actually downplaying the situation and has said they’ve come to an amicable conclusion.

Either that’s code for “Brown has paid me to stay quiet” or Brown legitimately amicably resolved the situation, I don’t know. But in both scenarios we have to admit that the fact that he would be able to resolve this situation DOES show some level of personal growth. I mean if you do dirt and you have money, at least bribe people to stay quiet... everyone knows that those are the rules. Brown is either finally catching on or maybe the anger management lessons have actually helped him better communicate and express his frustrations when he’s got a bit more time to process. Which is definitely a step in developing healthier reactionary coping measures.

Edited by diamondbull424

12 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

She also later said in the interview that her comments were taken out of context and amplified far more than what she thought. Only the article was written to include that part a couple paragraphs after IIRC.

In terms of treating service industry people in this manner, only... let’s be real. He’s not doing these things specifically. I’m not defending his actions, make no mistake. But he’s doing this to everyone. GM of the ball club, you can get it. Owner of a sports team and billion dollar company? You can get it too. I’m sure if the president or any dictators of 3rd world countries gave Brown some heat, they could get it too. Heck Thanos shows up with the Infinity Gauntlet and comments about Brown’s hairstyle in “some kind of way”, I’m sure he gets a rock thrown in his direction too. 😂

I don’t think his anger and d-bag-ness (made up word I know) knows any bounds. BUT the one caveat here for me is that there have legitimately been people who have had anger management issues or substance abuse issues and needed legitimate help. People who have gotten said help and turned their life around.

While I’m still incredibly skeptical, IF Brown has literally noticed his anger is a problem and IF he’s legitimately and actively trying to understand that problem and improve himself, then I don’t think this is the type of situation that should take away his chance at redemption.

Again, I’m incredibly skeptical. And a lot of his other actions have been very destructive. Even this is an extreme reaction. But before these scenarios tended to end with Brown refusing to pay people and litigation getting involved and people talking bad about him. Yet this lady is actually downplaying the situation and has said they’ve come to an amicable conclusion.

Either that’s code for “Brown has paid me to stay quiet” or Brown legitimately amicably resolved the situation, I don’t know. But in both scenarios we have to admit that the fact that he would be able to resolve this situation DOES show some level of personal growth. I mean if you do dirt and you have money, at least bribe people to stay quiet... everyone knows that those are the rules. Brown is either finally catching on or maybe the anger management lessons have actually helped him better communicate and express his frustrations when he’s got a bit more time to process. Which is definitely a step in developing healthier reactionary coping measures.

Not arguing about it but he cussed out the guard, he broke the camera, he cussed out the guard again, he threw his bike and broke the arm so it wouldn't go down, he went the the HOA cussed her out and threw  pamphlets on the floor. But the HOA lady thought he was a hero because he helped the Bucs beat the Panthers. Seems like he is doing much better.

Yet this lady is actually downplaying the situation and has said they’ve come to an amicable conclusion.

First of all, yeah I bet this has more to do with fearing retribution. But whether she thinks it's a big deal or not doesn't really change my opinion. If AB goes crazy at a restaurant and starts fastballing glasses and plates around the room screaming, but the owner goes "eh no big deal, his free bread wasn't coming fast enough and he said he'd replace everything he broke", I would still say, okay but he's an effing psychopath. He's just rich.

10 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Oh he ABSOLUTELY needs help. Real, professional help. I'm not downplaying that at all. But either way, you don't get to run amok in society wreaking havoc, and furthermore, you sure as crap don't get the privilege of racking in further millions of dollars playing in the most lucrative sports league in the world. My criticism of Brady isn't because he "wants" to "help" AB. It's because he seemingly only wants to do it because AB is so freaking good at football, so he can help Brady win more and help the TB12 brand. And Brady has focused so much time and attention on AB rather than his other weapons over the past couple of years that could have used more help with him

17 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me 31 times, shame on me, am I right?

Again, Brown is MORE than welcome to redeem himself while NOT playing in the NFL. The only thing he's proving to me by being back in the league is that he can still play football. Great, I never doubted that. But it shows me nothing as far as personal growth or redemption.

There are ways Brown can get better and redeem himself. There have been people who have done terrible things that, in my eyes, actually did just that. But I'd actually say jumping back into the role that benefits his own monetary/power-driven interests the most as soon as he possibly can, moves him further away from doing that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DannyB said:

First of all, yeah I bet this has more to do with fearing retribution. But whether she thinks it's a big deal or not doesn't really change my opinion. If AB goes crazy at a restaurant and starts fastballing glasses and plates around the room screaming, but the owner goes "eh no big deal, his free bread wasn't coming fast enough and he said he'd replace everything he broke", I would still say, okay but he's an effing psychopath. He's just rich.

I don’t know. I just think it sounds weird that she would downplay it the way she did. She was surprised this was made into an issue.

If this is a restaurant and I ask the waiter for water and they say their policy isn’t to give water until all people at the table are sitting and the other guest comes back and asks for water and they still refuse to give water. I’m going to want to speak with a manager.

I won’t flip the table, but that definitely is a situation where a worker isn’t doing their job. Could they be refusing service before the person smacked some forks onto the ground, sure, but that’s also not their decision to make. It would be the manager of the restaurant.

Am I giving Antonio Brown the benefit of the worker simply being bad at their job, no. Because quite clearly he’s a prick here. However, that doesn’t mean the worker also wasn’t a prick here either.

I’m not saying that Brown isn’t a tool or anything, I’m also not saying he should be back in the NFL right now, but considering he is, I just don’t think this was a big enough incident to remove him from the league. That’s all I’m saying.

38 minutes ago, jofos said:

Not arguing about it but he cussed out the guard, he broke the camera, he cussed out the guard again, he threw his bike and broke the arm so it wouldn't go down, he went the the HOA cussed her out and threw  pamphlets on the floor. But the HOA lady thought he was a hero because he helped the Bucs beat the Panthers. Seems like he is doing much better.

True. Like I said. He’s a prick. My point is, considering the information available right now, I don’t think this is something big enough to remove him from the NFL. Especially IF he somehow amicably resolved the circumstance. Perhaps upon further reflection he came to realize his anger was incredibly excessive, apologized to the security guard and offered to provide her bonus pay for the hassle and having to deal with his antics.

Would such excuse his antics, no. But to use the restaurant analogy above. If I were a waiter and I had a terrible experience with a customer and then the next day they came back, apologized and then tipped me $500 (or depending on how high scale the restaurant perhaps a few grand) for having to deal with their antics, I’d probably feel the issue was pretty well resolved.

But kind of like you said, I don’t particularly have skin in this game either and not really looking to argue it either. I almost sort of feel dirty even playing the Devil’s Advocate role AB here in the first place. I feel like that guy in the Putty Tang movie. The dirty pimp guy (assuming anyone here has seen the movie).😂 

• Like 1

Just now, diamondbull424 said:

True. Like I said. He’s a prick. My point is, considering the information available right now, I don’t think this is something big enough to remove him from the NFL.

If this was a one time thing it's not enough but it's just a follow up to everything else. I don't expect anything to happen to him.

• Like 1

@diamondbull424 given AB's extensive track record, why are you automatically assuming that the other person involved was in some way also at fault? Was there anything in the story to indicate as such? Like, you keep saying you're not excusing AB, but you're really filling in a lot of blanks in an attempt to deflect at least some culpability. And as both you and I have said, in almost no imaginable, realistic scenario, is that even an excuse.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jofos said:

If this was a one time thing it's not enough but it's just a follow up to everything else. I don't expect anything to happen to him.

Agreed. I’m still fresh out of likes else, I wouldve just left this at that. But I think I must hand out likes as if I’m a grandmother at a cookout handing out extra helpings of her signature meal. Sheesh. I’m always out. Need to reup. 😂 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DannyB said:

@diamondbull424 given AB's extensive track record, why are you automatically assuming that the other person involved was in some way also at fault? Was there anything in the story to indicate as such? Like, you keep saying you're not excusing AB, but you're really filling in a lot of blanks in an attempt to deflect at least some culpability. And as both you and I have said, in almost no imaginable, realistic scenario, is that even an excuse.

Because I’ve dealt with rude people that work in customer service industries as well and I think to myself, “how do they thrive in this field” and then I just try and chalk it up to maybe they’re just having a bad day. I say this having worked in sales for over 5 years and having had to train in deescalating situations or resolving indifferences etc. So I’m especially not assuming that these customer service people are always in the right. Some/Many I’m sure don’t have to have extensive CS training.

Either way in terms of the story itself, I felt the part that mentioned how even after Brown showed up to the gate the security guard wouldn’t allow them through to be weird. Why didn’t they allow the guest through? How long was the guest there? Did AB call up to the security desk to ask them to let the guest through? And then they informed him he would have to come to the gate because of update permissions? There are too many variables here.

I’m not going to let my dislike of AB however cloud whether I’m to attribute him further and potentially undue culpability in those questions I don’t have answered.

I think you’re likely right. But the HOA lady is painting a different picture atm. So I just think until we have more evidence this doesn’t seem like enough to kick him out of the league, considering the league let him back, in the first place.