Week 10 GDT: Ravens vs. Off-Brand Patriots

AFlaccoSeagulls

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Speaking of fixing this team, I'm all out of ideas as well. We just lost our TE2 and we have no replacements incoming for that. Our WR's are terrible and can't win their matchups ever. Last year in the rain in SF we ran the ball all over the place and were able to grind it out, this year we couldn't even do that in the rain effectively.

We're just toast if we can't start magically finding ways to chew up chunk plays in the passing game, and it doesn't seem like that's gonna happen. We have a cake schedule so if our defense continues to play well and force turnovers we'll make the playoffs and be a quick out, but aside from that I honestly don't have much hope for this team this year.

TBQH, Mark Andrews health pending, that injury might be the best thing for our offense moving forward. Our receivers absolutely aren’t the best, but without the TE, we should be forced into going with more spread personnel. We saw in this game that if Lamar wanted, he had plenty of space to use it. Also we saw WAY more Willie Snead than we have seen because Boyle went down.

The pathetic thing is, it shouldn’t have taken being down in the game and a Boyle significant injury to emphasize these personnel groupings more. There’s far more versatility with 11 personnel than with 12 and 22 personnel... not thats 12 personnel shouldn’t have been utilized because it IS effective. But yeah, 22 personnel has led to very little success this season, yet we continue to run full speed into a wall with it. If Lamar is having to bang inside for 2 yard runs, recycle that play until further reevaluation is need down the road.

9 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

TBQH, Mark Andrews health pending, that injury might be the best thing for our offense moving forward. Our receivers absolutely aren’t the best, but without the TE, we should be forced into going with more spread personnel. We saw in this game that if Lamar wanted, he had plenty of space to use it. Also we saw WAY more Willie Snead than we have seen because Boyle went down.

The pathetic thing is, it shouldn’t have taken being down in the game and a Boyle significant injury to emphasize these personnel groupings more. There’s far more versatility with 11 personnel than with 12 and 22 personnel... not thats 12 personnel shouldn’t have been utilized because it IS effective. But yeah, 22 personnel has led to very little success this season, yet we continue to run full speed into a wall with it. If Lamar is having to bang inside for 2 yard runs, recycle that play until further reevaluation is need down the road.

Here's the thing though, I don't believe in Greg Roman or Dave Culley to adequately rely on spread personnel groupings or 21 personnel to win us games. I don't have faith that Lamar throwing 30+ times is going to win us games, either (and not because of Lamar, because of our WR's and our schemes).

I hope I'm proven wrong, but I just don't see it.

41 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Lamar tried to drag us kicking and screaming to the Win tonight, but no luck.

We truly need another game breaking receiver option that isn’t Mark Andrews. There’s only so much Andrews can do against the multitude of double coverage he’s seeing.

This front office needs to be done playing games and sacrifice to acquire such a specimen if we have to. I don’t know exactly who that guy is, whether its DeVonta Smith, Kyle Pitts, Pat Friermuth, or trading for a top guy in the league; Zac Ertz and Julio Jones being the best bets in that capacity perhaps... this can’t stand. Lamar has no help and Roman isn’t magically providing him such assistance by virtue of scheming our WR options open so regularly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

We truly need another game breaking receiver option that isn’t Mark Andrews. There’s only so much Andrews can do against the multitude of double coverage he’s seeing.

This front office needs to be done playing games and sacrifice to acquire such a specimen if we have to. I don’t know exactly who that guy is, whether its DeVonta Smith, Kyle Pitts, Pat Friermuth, or trading for a top guy in the league; Zac Ertz and Julio Jones being the best bets in that capacity perhaps... this can’t stand. Lamar has no help and Roman isn’t magically providing him such assistance by virtue of scheming our WR options open so regularly.

Ex-Cowboys WR Dez Bryant reflects on 'surreal' Ravens debut - nj.com

I'm only half-joking

7 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Did McDaiel’s score and have success? Yup. They got a TD off a trick play, that sure looked like the kind of play a team might hold back with until a later moment in the game needing a big score... but no, they used it upfront.

GTFO with that nonsense. Logical fallacy. Because I’m not in McDaniels head I can’t “know” something. Okay Rene Descartes. You don’t KNOW that he didn’t call his best plays. Yet which one of us have more evidence that he did? Which team went with a big time gadget play that they had CLEARLY worked hard on? Patriots. Did such a play result in a scores that really changed the nature of the game? Yes, it did.

So when refuting such a claim, let’s use more than a basic LOGICAL FALLACY when doing so.

You acted like you knew he did something - I didn't act like I knew he did/or did not use his best play.

I am pointing out that you over and over again act like you know something, or are able to deduct yourself to a conclusion - when all you do is guess and create scenarios that fit your agenda.

Sry, but I am just provoked when you act/write like that. It has nothing to do with "GFTO, logical fallacy, I  have evidence because there was a trick play that worked". I can see it and recognize it was well executed. I can also see they did not try anything else in a tight tight game where our defense got a better grip on the game - unless you think their outside runs was examples of "McDaniels better plays".

You know jack **** about how hard they worked at that play. Maybe they said it in the post game interviews, that they had it planned, or it could be something in their play archive they saw fit to use, but just based on the play, you can't say "they had clearly workd hard on it". 

You have convinced yourself that you know these things. I am sorry to tell you, that you don't and ask you to please stop acting like you do.

Edited by Danand

Well, this team now has too many injuries and too many positions playing poor to blame any one thing. I don’t even know where to start with Boyle being hurt. Maybe should spend some money on offense going forward. 

Next 2 games are massive if we can go 1-1. 

Edited by M.10.E
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Well, this team now has too many injuries and too many positions playing poor to blame any one thing. I don’t even know where to start with Boyle being hurt. Maybe should spend some money on offense going forward. 

Next 2 games are massive if we can go 1-1. 

Injuries plays a part, maybe bigger than we think. We did go into the season with concerns at oline, and those have manifested – especially with Stanley going down and no player to truly emerge at RG.

We were thin at tight end, our receiving core is really young and Brown is experiencing a big sophomore slump – some of it might be due to our oline not being able to hold up long enough for the deep passing game to evolve – nevertheless I think we should see him be able to be more than just a vertical guy.

With Yanda out, Earl Thomas gone, Tavon Young out, Stanley out and now Boyle out, that is a significant amount of cap allocated to players not being able to perform this year – In this particular game, our best paid dlines was also out. Our franchise player (Judon) is not bad, but his great plays feels somewhat negated by his penalties – I wonder if the positive plays and the negative even each other out.

I saw DB mention in another thread, that the injury to Boyle might force Roman into other personel groups on offense – that will be interesting to see if that will provide a spark now we are forced to do it.

Patrick Queen had another rough game – it is up and down with him and while it is frustrating, we have to remind ourselves that he was drafted as a project and is far from a finished product.

It is difficult to be optimistic about both the Titans game and their running game, and then the Steelers afterwards, but if I should choose, I would point toward the Titans game as the most important one. I don't think we have a chance to catch up to the Steelers now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Duvernay - Snead - Brown, Bozeman, Skura, Powers, Mekari - Andrews - Brown

That's just tough to look at when you write it out.

Mekari might have struggled, but he should also be appreciated for his versatility. He might be "bad" in his new role, but also difficult to expect a guy being able to play well at 3 different positions when he went into the season as a backup.

2 minutes ago, Danand said:

Mekari might have struggled, but he should also be appreciated for his versatility. He might be "bad" in his new role, but also difficult to expect a guy being able to play well at 3 different positions when he went into the season as a backup.

Fully agree. Just going to be tough sledding for Lamar going forward with this supporting cast.