End the madness (Thanksgiving)

N4L

Those two teams play on Thanksgiving because it’s their tradition to do so. The Lions have been playing on Thanksgiving Day (almost continually) since 1934, and the Cowboys have been playing on Thanksgiving since 1966. Personally, if those two teams want to play on thanksgiving, I don’t see why they can’t. It’s their tradition. 

If fans of other teams don’t like it, they don’t have to watch. I really don’t see what the big deal is. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Even in 2020, Cowboys have 2 of the top 5 most watched games.

I have no idea how they do it, it feels like they're somehow buying those views (I literally know 1 Dallas fan outside of here), but it IS a fact they are heavily watched, to be fair.

They’re like SEC college football fans. Their sports teams are the thing they are most proud of in their lives. It’s pretty sad.

I don't usually hate the Lions in thanksgiving only because quite often their rival are either the Bears or Vikings/Packers. I tend to watch most NFC North divisional games, anyway, so its ok for me. However, in matches like this year when the 4-5 Lions go against the 2-7 Texans, its just a random game with little interest for me.

13 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Well we are the highest valued team in all of sports. And the rest of the world doesnt really matter, but just to appease you, the highest watched Man-U game was 3.9 million last season. Dallas' average is somewhere between ~15-30m depending on timeslot. 

Yes the Cowboys are the most watched team in the U.S. Also the team worth the most in the world.

But, yes the rest of the world matters.

Compare those numbers you just posted to those of El Clasico. Played twice a year between Madrid and Barcelona. El Clasico draws viewers that rival the Superbowl, around ~100 million. That is not combined between the two games. That is per game. For a simple rivalry

If the Cowboy's are the biggest draw in the world, regardless of sport, they should probably draw more than maybe 30% than that of a rivalry game between two Spanish teams.

On 11/14/2020 at 7:03 PM, Matts4313 said:

Thats not an opinion. Thats a fact. The Cowboys regularly have more than half of all the highest watched games regardless of sport. A few years ago we had 6 of the top 8 (?) watched NFL games. Our 12pm/3pm games draw a bigger audience than MNF/TNF and even some SNF.  

IIRC games involving the Cowboys draw ~40% more viewers than games not involving us. Obviously its not even a comparison to other sports, were our games are 10x's more watched than baseball/basketball. 

Multiple division wins, including being a top 2 seed multiple times in the past decade alone. Again, its not like we are chopped liver. Especially regular season. 

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nfl-tv-ratings-viewership-2020-2019/

Not sure how ratings are truly calculated nowadays anyway, with so much streaming, but this is interesting.

What you'll notice is that the games the Cowboys get high ratings, are the games where most of the country had to watch  because they were on. It's a chicken/egg thing at this point, because your argument would probably be that they're on for most of the country because of how popular they are.

However, the Saints and Bucs have modest fanbases and had the most watched game of the season - because people wanted to see Brady vs. Brees - which is kind of the point of all this: people would much rather watch a great QB match up than any game involving the Cowboys, even when Dak was healthy.

11 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nfl-tv-ratings-viewership-2020-2019/

Not sure how ratings are truly calculated nowadays anyway, with so much streaming, but this is interesting.

What you'll notice is that the games the Cowboys get high ratings, are the games where most of the country had to watch  because they were on. It's a chicken/egg thing at this point, because your argument would probably be that they're on for most of the country because of how popular they are.

However, the Saints and Bucs have modest fanbases and had the most watched game of the season - because people wanted to see Brady vs. Brees - which is kind of the point of all this: people would much rather watch a great QB match up than any game involving the Cowboys, even when Dak was healthy.

Bruh, I already addressed this:

On 11/14/2020 at 8:11 PM, Matts4313 said:

Dont know what there is to doubt. Its all available online. Just look it up. 

Most watched game non-prime time game 2020: Dal-ATL, #2 is Dal-CLE

Most watched SNF game in 2020: Dal-Rams

2nd most watched game double header - Dal-Pit

2019: Dallas had the #1 and #2 most watched games of the entire season. Both more than the Oscars and Grammys.

2018: Dallas had the #1 and #3 most watched games the entire season.

Hate all you want. Dallas Cowboys are the most watched thing in sports. 

Even our non-primetime  games draw bigger viewership. Its okay to say you lost this argument homie. 

6 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Bruh, I already addressed this:

Even our non-primetime  games draw bigger viewership. Its okay to say you lost this argument homie. 

Also, even though you're not in primetime, Dallas is still shown in most of the country - so the people without the Sunday Ticket are forced to watch them if they watch football

7 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Did you not see the link I posted? Saints Bucs in week one had higher ratings than every Cowboys game this year

I literally already pointed this out when I said Dal-Pit was the #2 double header.... 

5 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Also, even though you're not in primetime, Dallas is still shown in most of the country - so the people without the Sunday Ticket are forced to watch them if they watch football

They are shown all over the country because media executives know they Cowboys = ratings. Ratings = ad revenue. Unless you think essentially every media outlet/exec/NFL marketing person/etc is a moron and you are correct?

Because all the numbers back up what I, and they, are saying. Cowboys are by far the biggest draw in (American) sports. 

11 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I literally already pointed this out when I said Dal-Pit was the #2 double header.... 

They are shown all over the country because media executives know they Cowboys = ratings. Ratings = ad revenue. Unless you think essentially every media outlet/exec/NFL marketing person/etc is a moron and you are correct?

Because all the numbers back up what I, and they, are saying. Cowboys are by far the biggest draw in (American) sports. 

I was thrown by your saying the Cowboys Falcons was the most watched non primetime game - to me that's the Bucs and Saints because 4pm eastern games aren't primetime but I see what you mean now.

Yea I just flat out disagree. And you can throw around the ratings, but again, when they're on in most of the country, most of the country will watch. I'd argue that if the Bucs, Saints or Chiefs received the same nationwide viewership they would garner even more ratings than Dallas.

12 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I was thrown by your saying the Cowboys Falcons was the most watched non primetime game - to me that's the Bucs and Saints because 4pm eastern games aren't primetime but I see what you mean now.

Yea I just flat out disagree. And you can throw around the ratings, but again, when they're on in most of the country, most of the country will watch. I'd argue that if the Bucs, Saints or Chiefs received the same nationwide viewership they would garner even more ratings than Dallas.

Then why dont they? Why did Dal-Phi SNF draw more ratings than Bucs-Saints SNF? Why is Dallas MNF game higher than almost every other teams? Why does this happen every single week/year regardless of timeslot and viewership availability? 

Sure, some individual games get enormous hype. But there is no consistent draw country wide like the Cowboys. They are regularly top 3 in terms of fanbase size and top 3 most hated team in sports. When you combine the two, you get a lot of eyeballs watching.