End the madness (Thanksgiving)

N4L

5 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Then why dont they? Why did Dal-Phi SNF draw more ratings than Bucs-Saints SNF? Why is Dallas MNF game higher than almost every other teams? Why does this happen every single week/year regardless of timeslot and viewership availability? 

Sure, some individual games get enormous hype. But there is no consistent draw country wide like the Cowboys. They are regularly top 3 in terms of fanbase size and top 3 most hated team in sports. When you combine the two, you get a lot of eyeballs watching. 

Packers/Saints and Patriots/Seahawks did have higher ratings than Cowboys/Eagles. And that link I posted has Cowboys/Eagles nearly dead even with the Bucs/Saints SNF game.

Week one Rams/Cowboys did draw more, but I'd think the first SNF game of the season probably usually draws more regardless of who is playing, and the Rams were opening a $5 billion stadium which may have been a draw for some people to tune in.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, N4L said:

Steelers Ravens postponed 

BUMP

I'll repeat this again, the NFL has been giving us garbage matchups on Thanksgiving day for years and it's time to remove Detroit and Dallas from automatic Thanksgiving games 

How did those 2 wind up getting some season pass for Thanksgiving games in the first place?

11 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I don't mind.  Having crappy teams play just means I don't have to worry about catching it while I run around to different Thanksgivings.

I'm actually looking forward to laughing during Lions/Texans while sipping my scotch and basting the turkey.

Imagine if the NBA always had the Kings and the Pelicans play on Christmas day regardless of how good they were every year just because of "tradition".

Thanksgiving is the NFL's major holiday, the three networks should put their biggest games of the season on that day. So CBS gets an AFC matchup, Fox gets and NFC matchup, and NBC gets their choice of inter-conference games. This year it probably would have gone something like Chiefs-Ravens, Bucs-Saints, and Packers-Titans or something.

• Like 2

I think I said this last year, here or somewhere else, but do you really want can't miss games on Thanksgiving?  The way I see it, the NFL equivalent of background noises makes pretty good background noise.  If my cousin wants to go throw the ball for awhile or much younger me wanted to play a pickup game, we could without worrying we'd miss anything.

Just now, y*so*blu said:

Ravens/Steelers would have been the big seller but that's out of the question now.

Instead of giving certain teams Thanksgiving games because reasons, it would make a lot more sense to wait and then flex in some of the best matchups for those slots.

Lions and Cowboys will pretty much always be a thing.

Flex a Thursday?  That's much harder than flexing a later time slot Sunday.

The thing is, the quality of teams playing on Thanksgiving doesn’t matter to damn near any fan. People watch football on Thanksgiving because it’s tradition.

At the end of the day the NFL doesn’t care if Cowboys or Lions do well because people are gonna watch anyway

• Like 2

8 hours ago, N4L said:

I'll repeat this again, the NFL has been giving us garbage matchups on Thanksgiving day for years and it's time to remove Detroit and Dallas from automatic Thanksgiving games 

Ill repeat the match ups arent garbage generally. 

8 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

How did those 2 wind up getting some season pass for Thanksgiving games in the first place?

Lions and Cowboys volunteered 50 years ago.

5 hours ago, rich homie said:

Imagine if the NBA always had the Kings and the Pelicans play on Christmas day regardless of how good they were every year just because of "tradition".

More like Lakers (Cowboys) and i dunno... Pistons? 

Edited by Matts4313

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I guess having someone create a thread every November about how the NFL should change up the teams on Thanksgiving can be listed just behind death and taxes as the surest things in life.

This is exactly why the madness needs to end