End the madness (Thanksgiving)

9 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I honestly think it’s as petty as just not giving into something fans have complained about forever. A power move.

I cant tell if you honestly think more than a handful of people on the internet actually complain about this. I would venture to bet 97%+ of the world either DGAF or is perfectly happy with the status quo. 

6 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I cant tell if you honestly think more than a handful of people on the internet actually complain about this. I would venture to bet 97%+ of the world either DGAF or is perfectly happy with the status quo. 

I don’t think most people are bothered by it. But I’ve never heard a non-Lions fan who doesn’t think it’s dumb.

3 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I don’t think most people are bothered by it. But I’ve never heard a non-Lions fan who doesn’t think it’s dumb.

The lions are the reason Thanksgiving games exist. So I am I will be the first non-Lions fan who defends them to you. 

Agreed. I'm usually for carrying on tradition, but not in this case.

It's dumb that the Cowboys and Lions play every Thanksgiving and there is no good reason why they should.

The main reason both teams decided to play on Thanksgiving originally was to draw more fans to the games and/or attention to their respective teams.

We are giving them these games now just for the sake of "tradition" and that is lame.

All the other teams deserve their chance to get the spotlight and host these holiday prime time games too.

Nobody cares about the Lions and Cowboys being on Thanksgiving except for the fans of those teams. Sorry @Matts4313, but its true.

The Lions began the tradition in 1934 when the owner George A. Richards wanted to attract more fans. The marketing wizard's plan worked and the team who usually lost fans to the more popular Detroit Tigers sold out their stadium and then some. The team had to turn people away at the gates because so many people showed up to watch their Lions play. 

Richards was not only the owner of the NFL franchise but also an NBC affiliated radio station as well and worked out a contract with NBC to show his games on television across 94 stations. 

The Lions did not invent football on Thanksgiving, other teams had done it before, but Detroit had the network deal that set it apart. The only seasons the Lions did not play on Thanksgiving were from 1939 to 1944, when the world was engulfed in World War II. 

Like nice little backstory and smart of Lions owner to get them more visibility, but who cares?

They weren't the first to do it.

They just got a contract with NBC to air their games in big part, because he was an owner of an NBC affiliated radio station.

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

people making threads attempting to change it proves this is false.

Let me rephrase that then, cause I know you know what I mean, but are being obtuse for the sake of it.

Nobody wants the Lions and Cowboys on every Thanksgiving except for the fans of those respective teams.

Better?

The Lions began the tradition in 1934 when the owner George A. Richards wanted to attract more fans. The marketing wizard's plan worked and the team who usually lost fans to the more popular Detroit Tigers sold out their stadium and then some. The team had to turn people away at the gates because so many people showed up to watch their Lions play. 

Richards was not only the owner of the NFL franchise but also an NBC affiliated radio station as well and worked out a contract with NBC to show his games on television across 94 stations. 

The Lions did not invent football on Thanksgiving, other teams had done it before, but Detroit had the network deal that set it apart. The only seasons the Lions did not play on Thanksgiving were from 1939 to 1944, when the world was engulfed in World War II. 

Like nice little backstory and smart of Lions owner to get them more visibility, but who cares?

They weren't the first to do it.

They just got a contract with NBC to air their games in big part, because he was an owner of an NBC affiliated radio station.

This thread is spot-on. End the madness!

• Like 2
On 11/15/2020 at 1:09 PM, rfournier103 said:

If fans of other teams don’t like it, they don’t have to watch. I really don’t see what the big deal is. 

Bad take/reasoning.

Nothing is as simple as saying if you don't like _______ , then don't ________ it.

This is an extreme example. I know. But, the purpose of this is to drive home the point.

It would be like saying that if you don't like being assaulted, then don't put yourself in a position to be assaulted.

It is essentially victim blaming which happens a lot with rape, but I won't get into that cause it has no place in this thread.

Anyways, the big deal is that the tradition is dumb and people don't want to watch these teams every Thanksgiving.

I have nothing against tradition. Usually most tradition is great and should be carried on, but in this case.... why? Besides for the fact that it is a tradition.

I'd love for someone to provide a compelling reason for keeping it the way it is.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy
On 11/14/2020 at 4:08 PM, squire12 said:

Is there a reason to have another thread on this?

Threads on the same subject get made all the time.

I bet if you look back in FF's archives you will find a lot more threads on this exact topic which speaks to the fact that the NFL needs to end this.

49 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Bad take/reasoning.

Nothing is as simple as saying if you don't like _______ , then don't ________ it.

This is an extreme example. I know. But, the purpose of this is to drive home the point.

It would be like saying that if you don't like being assaulted, then don't put yourself in a position to be assaulted.

It is essentially victim blaming which happens a lot with rape, but I won't get into that cause it has no place in this thread.

Anyways, the big deal is that the tradition is dumb and people don't want to watch these teams every Thanksgiving.

I have nothing against tradition. Usually most tradition is great and should be carried on, but in this case.... why? Besides for the fact that it is a tradition.

I'd love for someone to provide a compelling reason for keeping it the way it is.

How about the Dallas Cowboys, the Detroit Lions, and their fans wanting to preserve their decades-long tradition? Is that not a good enough reason? What about what they want?

Edited by rfournier103

I've already said that I am in favor of keeping the Lions and Cowboys on Thanksgiving, but otherwise there should be a fair rotation of teams. Like I'd be fine if the Packers did not appear on Thanksgiving again for a long time, especially after their last two games on the holiday went horribly.

• Like 1