End the madness (Thanksgiving)

N4L

9 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

if this game was played on Sunday, I'm 99% sure it would have no real change to his career path.

So what you are saying is it doesnt matter who plays on Thursdays. Therefor this thread is useless complaining. 

You heard it from a mod folks, lock it down. 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

So what you are saying is it doesnt matter who plays on Thursdays. Therefor this thread is useless complaining. 

You heard it from a mod folks, lock it down. 

I mena I never had an issue with Cowboys and Lions playing on Thanskgiving. We need a good laugh for the holiday after all; these teams are a consistent source of this.

1 hour ago, rfournier103 said:

How about the Dallas Cowboys, the Detroit Lions, and their fans wanting to preserve their decades-long tradition? Is that not a good enough reason? What about what they want?

No offense to Lions fans, but I don't care about their dumb tradition and you really think I care about a stupid Cowboys tradition? lol

Like I said there is no compelling reason to keep it going besides the fact that its been going on for many years now.

Tradition should definitely be changed. Patriots, Saints, Packers, Steelers should all have had more thanksgiving GameDay. How in the world did the 2008 Lions get a thanksgiving day game but 2007 Patriots didn't. Tradition only matters in this instance when great teams are playing. Neither the Cowboys or Lions are great right now and thus shouldn't be scheduled for this game.

On 11/26/2020 at 11:36 PM, TheRealMcCoy said:

No offense to Lions fans, but I don't care about their dumb tradition and you really think I care about a stupid Cowboys tradition? lol

Like I said there is no compelling reason to keep it going besides the fact that its been going on for many years now.

Seems pretty selfish of you. They have as much a right to be happy as you do. I think we’re going to have to agree to disagree on this one. 

Alright, if my formula for determining the Thanksgiving games is implemented in 2021, here are the games that would possibly be scheduled on Thanksgiving next year based on the NFL standings of 2020:

Early: Arizona at Detroit (no matter what the standings are, Arizona will have the longest active Thanksgiving drought of all the Lions' home opponents in 2021)
Late: Denver at Dallas or LA Rams at Dallas
Night: Jacksonville at LA Rams, Cleveland at Denver, or Jacksonville at Cleveland

The formula I propose is that the teams who visit Detroit and Dallas on Thanksgiving each year will be the home opponent of each team with the longest active Thanksgiving drought. The night game's teams will be the team not playing at Detroit or Dallas already with the longest active Thanksgiving drought, and the opponent on their schedule with the longest active Thanksgiving drought (regardless of location).

If this formula had been in place this year, the games would have been Tampa Bay at Detroit (which of course would involve the popular Tom Brady), Cleveland at Dallas, and Arizona VS. LA Rams (either game).

While this formula would limit the Thanksgiving appearances of most of the more marketable teams outside of Dallas, it is more fair, and provides largely fresh Thanksgiving matchups every year. The popular teams have plenty of opportunities to appear on national television. Thanksgiving should be the one national slot with more or less a fair rotation of teams (outside Detroit and Dallas of course). So yeah, I am compromising here - Detroit and Dallas keep their games, but the other teams more or less rotate onto the Thanksgiving Day schedule year in and year out.

Edited by pf9

In past years, the NFL has preferred scheduling division games on Thanksgiving due to geography and familiarity with the opponents.

However, Dallas being far removed from the other NFC East teams in the Northeast is actually an argument against sending a division rival there on Thanksgiving, because then it's not a geographic matchup. In contrast, Detroit's division rivals are all in the Midwest like Detroit is.

Thus, if the NFL really wants a division opponent for Dallas on Thanksgiving, then they should be in the NFC South with Atlanta, Tampa Bay, and New Orleans - the latter is in a state that borders Texas.

3 minutes ago, pf9 said:

In past years, the NFL has preferred scheduling division games on Thanksgiving due to geography and familiarity with the opponents.

However, Dallas being far removed from the other NFC East teams in the Northeast is actually an argument against sending a division rival there on Thanksgiving, because then it's not a geographic matchup. In contrast, Detroit's division rivals are all in the Midwest like Detroit is.

Thus, if the NFL really wants a division opponent for Dallas on Thanksgiving, then they should be in the NFC South with Atlanta, Tampa Bay, and New Orleans - the latter is in a state that borders Texas.

Its a 1.5 hour flight to NOLA and a 3 hour flight to the rest of the NFC E. 90 minutes isnt really a compelling factor. 

• Like 2

This formula could have been in place as early as 2018, when the network restrictions for the Detroit and Dallas games were removed.

If first implemented in 2018, the games would have been LA Rams at Detroit, Jacksonville at Dallas (would have been first Thanksgiving game for Jaguars), and Kansas City at Cleveland (even though the latter was coming off an 0-16 season then)

If first implemented in 2019, then Tampa Bay at Detroit, Buffalo at Dallas (was actually selected), and LA Rams at Cleveland.

Either way, it should be a long time before another non-Dallas NFC East team appears on Thanksgiving Day. Washington played at Dallas this year. The Giants most recently appeared in 2017 (at Dallas). The Eagles in 2015 (surprisingly, at Detroit).

These teams don't need to be on Turkey Day for a long, long time. And especially not next year given how bad the division is this year (Giants currently lead at only 4-7).

Edited by pf9

1 minute ago, TXsteeler said:

People would watch any football game on thanksgiving. Steelers Ravens would have beat that easy, as would many other matchups from that week.

People keep saying this although every single fact proves it wrong. The Cowboys are the biggest draw in sports. Its proven over and over again. Literally every week and every year.