Draft Needs

onejayhawk

5 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Why would he be restricted. Since he was terminated for cause, would that not act as an outright release?

Nice piece for the playoffs any way it goes. Hopefully we can make a longer contract work.

J

It's not really a matter of him being released with cause.    It's a matter of service time in the NFL.   He can't become a UFA with just one year of service.   

Similar to KeiVarae Russell when we released him,   Bengals held his rights for 3 seasons after.    or a more recent example would be Jachai Polite,  he's been on 3 teams after being drafted in the 3rd round.   Yet still really only has 1 year of service,   he's still a ERFA after this season because of his service time.

Edit:  Actually the best example,  now that I think about it,   is Kareem Hunt.   Browns picked him up,     he had 2 years left of Restricted Tags,  before he hit FA  (even though they resigned him early).

Edited by samsel23

Relatively little.   

ERFA 2021: Essentially what Byron Pringle cost this year.

RFA 2022:  Same deal with what will happen with C. Ward this coming offseason.  We can control what tag we want to use on him.  I would guess 2-3 Mil price tag for this year 

35 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

Relatively little.   

ERFA 2021: Essentially what Byron Pringle cost this year.

RFA 2022:  Same deal with what will happen with C. Ward this coming offseason.  We can control what tag we want to use on him.  I would guess 2-3 Mil price tag for this year 

Would that not be prorated for 2020?

J

5 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Would that not be prorated for 2020?

J

Depends, he’s on the practice squad.   We can protect him for 4 weeks there.  If he’s there all year no.    With Snead coming back.  Along with Breeland, Fenton, and Ward.  We got a solid 4 man rotation and Hamilton locked in to ST duties.   Aside from injury I think this move is for future years.  

Theres a certain percentage that calculates the years of service also,  but I’m not 100% on all that lingo 

6 or more games for an accrued season.  So likely he will accrue a season towards UFA, but regardless he’d still be under our control next year.    

Bonus is if he clicks in the scheme, it leaves us with 4 known quality CB’s already for next year costing about 6 Mil towards the cap total. 

On 11/18/2020 at 2:08 PM, onejayhawk said:

What sort of contract considerations come with him? 

I hope Baker works out better than Kareem Hunt. His career went south fast.

On a silly note, you have to love a secondary player with the initials DB.

J

Kareem Hunt been doing good with the Browns 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I'm excited for Niang. I just hope he's been in the playbook and weight room all year.

It'd be real nice if he was working with Shields locally.

16 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

Wyatt Davis, Ohio State

16 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I'm hoping for two OL, two WR, and a S this draft. This is a good draft for those positions. Anything else is BPA for me atm.

16 hours ago, samsel23 said:

It’s an excellent OL draft,  and we should have quite a few extra picks this year.  I’ll be very disappointed if the future of the OL doesn’t look promising going into next year 

I pulled some quotes from the Miami game thread. There are a couple more about TE. If you go to the OP, I suggested DE because of all the potential FA.

The strength of this draft is in the lines and at WR, so things stack up well for us. TE, not so much. 

J

Watching the Buffalo - Pittsburgh game last night I was in awe with how much time Josh Allen had to throw the ball against a solid Pitt Defense. Pass blocking was superb.  On the run blocking side I was impressed with the Broncos Offensive line.  Garett Bolles is a beast at left tackle, but their Guard play was impressive. Dalton Risner in particular, but both Guards pulled extremely well and opened up huge holes for their run game.

Imagine Mahomes and CEH behind a solid O line. I'd like to see at least 2 O-line picks in the first 3 rounds.

• Like 1

I will say,    it is actually pretty impressive that the OL isn't more detrimental to this offense.   Considering how we acquired most of these players.

Some of that is the skill guys are so good,  it doesn't matter as much.   But the coaches seem to be doing an excellent job of fitting guys into roles along the OL.    Would be nice to reward them with some guys that have higher skill levels.

1 hour ago, samsel23 said:

I will say,    it is actually pretty impressive that the OL isn't more detrimental to this offense.   Considering how we acquired most of these players.

Some of that is the skill guys are so good,  it doesn't matter as much.   But the coaches seem to be doing an excellent job of fitting guys into roles along the OL.    Would be nice to reward them with some guys that have higher skill levels.

Only so many picks to go around unfortunately, although we probably should’ve gone OL over CEH this last draft.

always thought it was a mistake to go Dontari Poe over David Decastro so many years ago. 

• Like 1