Sign in to follow this  
onejayhawk

Draft Needs

5 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Why would he be restricted. Since he was terminated for cause, would that not act as an outright release?

Nice piece for the playoffs any way it goes. Hopefully we can make a longer contract work.

J

It's not really a matter of him being released with cause.    It's a matter of service time in the NFL.   He can't become a UFA with just one year of service.   

Similar to KeiVarae Russell when we released him,   Bengals held his rights for 3 seasons after.    or a more recent example would be Jachai Polite,  he's been on 3 teams after being drafted in the 3rd round.   Yet still really only has 1 year of service,   he's still a ERFA after this season because of his service time.

Edit:  Actually the best example,  now that I think about it,   is Kareem Hunt.   Browns picked him up,     he had 2 years left of Restricted Tags,  before he hit FA  (even though they resigned him early).

Edited by samsel23

What sort of contract considerations come with him? 

I hope Baker works out better than Kareem Hunt. His career went south fast.

On a silly note, you have to love a secondary player with the initials DB.

J

Relatively little.   

ERFA 2021: Essentially what Byron Pringle cost this year.

RFA 2022:  Same deal with what will happen with C. Ward this coming offseason.  We can control what tag we want to use on him.  I would guess 2-3 Mil price tag for this year 

35 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

Relatively little.   

ERFA 2021: Essentially what Byron Pringle cost this year.

RFA 2022:  Same deal with what will happen with C. Ward this coming offseason.  We can control what tag we want to use on him.  I would guess 2-3 Mil price tag for this year 

Would that not be prorated for 2020?

J

5 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Would that not be prorated for 2020?

J

Depends, he’s on the practice squad.   We can protect him for 4 weeks there.  If he’s there all year no.    With Snead coming back.  Along with Breeland, Fenton, and Ward.  We got a solid 4 man rotation and Hamilton locked in to ST duties.   Aside from injury I think this move is for future years.  

Theres a certain percentage that calculates the years of service also,  but I’m not 100% on all that lingo 

He would not have signed without a shot at post season. I suspect the PS is both to get him acclimated to the team and to facilitate moving him into lineup contractually.

You're right about one thing. That's bunch of pretty good CB. 

J

6 or more games for an accrued season.  So likely he will accrue a season towards UFA, but regardless he’d still be under our control next year.    

Bonus is if he clicks in the scheme, it leaves us with 4 known quality CB’s already for next year costing about 6 Mil towards the cap total. 

On 11/18/2020 at 2:08 PM, onejayhawk said:

What sort of contract considerations come with him? 

I hope Baker works out better than Kareem Hunt. His career went south fast.

On a silly note, you have to love a secondary player with the initials DB.

J

Kareem Hunt been doing good with the Browns 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

Not like he did for us. 

J

Well he’s on a timeshare so that makes sense statistically