Jump to content

Recommended Posts

You have to go all the way back to the 2015 draft where KC picked up an offensive lineman in the first 2 rounds, and that was Mitch Morse (round 2). Prior to that we did draft lineman in Rounds 1 and 2, but we never seem to keep them around: Rodney Hudson, Jeff Allen, and Brandon Albert. Continuity amongst the starting 5 is also important to gel and become elite.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

Only so many picks to go around unfortunately, although we probably should’ve gone OL over CEH this last draft.

always thought it was a mistake to go Dontari Poe over David Decastro so many years ago. 

We "should" have quite a few picks this year.    Anywhere from 9-11,  depending on what happens with Eric B.   Fuller and Ogbah should bring back comp picks.

Would be the first year since we've had Veach that we had a surplus of picks.    Will be interesting to see if he trades some of them. 

 

Was actually pretty impressed with him last draft,   he seemed more calm and didn't move up as often.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

We "should" have quite a few picks this year.    Anywhere from 9-11,  depending on what happens with Eric B.   Fuller and Ogbah should bring back comp picks.

Would be the first year since we've had Veach that we had a surplus of picks.    Will be interesting to see if he trades some of them. 

 

Was actually pretty impressed with him last draft,   he seemed more calm and didn't move up as often.

No kidding. Clyde was a solid pick and Gay is at least not a bust. The rest of the draft was magic. Danna in the 4th, Sneed in the 5th, Wharton and Durant as UDFA. It makes you wonder what Niang will turn out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, samsel23 said:

We "should" have quite a few picks this year.    Anywhere from 9-11,  depending on what happens with Eric B.   Fuller and Ogbah should bring back comp picks.

Would be the first year since we've had Veach that we had a surplus of picks.    Will be interesting to see if he trades some of them. 

 

Was actually pretty impressed with him last draft,   he seemed more calm and didn't move up as often.

 

 

Na  .. as of now Chiefs will have 6 regular picks (rd 1 - 6) plus two comp ( rd 4 + 5). Any Bieniemy compensation would be in the 2022 draft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KC_Guy said:

Na  .. as of now Chiefs will have 6 regular picks (rd 1 - 6) plus two comp ( rd 4 + 5). Any Bieniemy compensation would be in the 2022 draft.

Everything I’ve read shows 3rd round comp pick starting that year.  So it would be 2021 & 2022 if Eric B leaves.  So 8.  9 in he does end up leaving 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, samsel23 said:

Everything I’ve read shows 3rd round comp pick starting that year.  So it would be 2021 & 2022 if Eric B leaves.  So 8.  9 in he does end up leaving 

Not just Bieniemy. There are FO guys that will be in demand and also get a comp pick.

J

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have at least two day three supplemental picks and could have more. With the injury to Clyde, RB needs to be a late round interest.

We sifted through a lot of potential PR/KR options, with little success. That's another area of late interest. 

Sausage is gone. One more slot.

With respect to the OL, I think we need to acknowledge that Allegretti is earning a slot. We drafted him with an eye to playing C, but he has filled in well at both OG positions. 

J

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Even with LDT coming back (really? He could still change his mind). I think we still need another OG. But now OT becomes a priority with both our OT's ailing

Why not? LTD is making much more money than he can as a young MD. Also, Super Bowls are something you pursue as long as you are able.

All three OT if you get down to it. There is no reason to assume that any will not be ready for training camp. Remmer would need to re-sign of course.

J

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Why not? LTD is making much more money than he can as a young MD. Also, Super Bowls are something you pursue as long as you are able.

All three OT if you get down to it. There is no reason to assume that any will not be ready for training camp. Remmer would need to re-sign of course.

J

The two presumed starters would be on the last year of their deals,   with the meat of Patrick's contract coming up    would be my argument.    I think it's more of a discussion do you want to draft for needs this year,   or the coming years.   Signing Remmers every offseason is not really something I want to rely on,   though Patrick manuevers well enough he gets by with an average line.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

The two presumed starters would be on the last year of their deals,   with the meat of Patrick's contract coming up    would be my argument.    I think it's more of a discussion do you want to draft for needs this year,   or the coming years.   Signing Remmers every offseason is not really something I want to rely on,   though Patrick manuevers well enough he gets by with an average line.

Anytime you are drafting more than one or two players to start this year, you are in serious trouble. Always draft for next year or the year after. The only position that we have in that category is C and we have not done FA yet. 

For OT, I like the approach they used last spring. Get a player who is down a round because he has short term issues. Also, Rankin has played OG, but he was drafted as OT. You don't have to sign Remmers every year, but you can use FA as a primary option for your depth slots.

J

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Anytime you are drafting more than one or two players to start this year, you are in serious trouble. Always draft for next year or the year after. The only position that we have in that category is C and we have not done FA yet. 

I fully agree with the first 2 sentences.    Although I’m not sure how OT doesn’t fall into that category.  Who do you see starting at tackle on 2022 if you don’t mind me asking?  
 

Rankins was drafted as a center,  but moved back out to tackle after he wasn’t successful.  I compared the acquisition to Cameron Erving when it happened,  and honestly it’s still pretty comparable. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are prepared to go a year at OT with our current players starting. If we draft an OT who can start right away, it will not be because we are drafting for this year. It's because the player accelerated the plan.

At C, we may need a player who can start right away. That's drafting for this year. You can do that with high first round picks and still get upside. For late first and second day picks that's not something you can do consistently. That's why getting a starting slot CB in the 4th round was such a steal. I have seen articles calling Sneed the best CB of the class, not just the best value. 

J

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...