Draft Needs

onejayhawk

My best guess for 2022 is that one side will be Niang and the other will be either Fisher or Schwartz, whoever they choose to re-sign. Unless they choose to re-sign Reiter, we are already at that point at C. 

If they choose not to retain either, then it becomes a higher priority. At least have a developmental year and money for the Remmers and Ervings of the league. This draft crew has shown talent for finding quality outside the top 100 and it is a deep OT pool. Using #64 is not a bad idea if they see possible Pro-Bowls in the future. 

That is something that is generally true. Never let a solid roster stop you from taking real talent. With LTD returning, there is a logjam at OG--him, Rankin, Allegretti, Durant, Wylie, Darryl Williams. I suspect Durant can fill the LG spot for the next decade. With Rankin at LG, backed up by Allegretti, we would be set. That would not stop me from grabbing Alijah Vera-Tucker at #32. Nor would Kelce stop me from trading up for Kyle Pitts.

J

4 hours ago, Chiefer said:

I’ve got OT near the top of my list. The guys have to be Athletes, with great foot quickness to match with Mahomes arm talent. 

And honestly I miss having a Good Center. 

There is a reason OT is a premium position.

I don't know why you miss having a good C. Reiter may not be great, but good he has covered. Some of the posters here can remember the years before Rodney Hudson--Rudy Niswanger and Ryan Lilja. Yeech.

J

4 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

There is a reason OT is a premium position.

I don't know why you miss having a good C. Reiter may not be great, but good he has covered. Some of the posters here can remember the years before Rodney Hudson--Rudy Niswanger and Ryan Lilja. Yeech.

J

To a QB your center is like your buddy,  and I want a good one for my awesome QB. Think Jeff Saturday and Peyton Manning.  Rodney was such a great fit, wish we could’ve kept him. 

I wouldn’t say Reiter is good, average more like. But we might be losing him, makes me wonder if Allegretti starts really competing there or if we keep him at LG.

Edited by Chiefer

I would go a cut above average at minimum. It may not be Nalen to Elway, but Saturday to Peyton we are already close. 

Since we are talking centers, I heard a story about one from before my time, Jack Rudnay. Stram and Dawson were about to retire. The Chiefs went from 10-3-1 and losing to the Dolphins in triple OT to 5-9 in three years, two of which Rudnay was Pro-Bowl. They drafted a QB out of Kansas named David Jaynes, who promised to lead them back to glory. Rudnay decided to play a practical joke on the new QB, so he took an old pair of uniform pants and unstitched the seat. When Jaynes is ready to take the first snap in scrimmage, he looks down at his hands and sees the crack of Rudnay's cheeks. Jaynes jumps back and Rudnay snaps the ball through the end zone. Jaynes was the 66th pick and did not make the team his second year.

J

Edited by onejayhawk
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 11:16 PM, onejayhawk said:

I would go a cut above average at minimum. It may not be Nalen to Elway, but Saturday to Peyton we are already close. 

Since we are talking centers, I heard a story about one from before my time, Jack Rudnay. Stram and Dawson were about to retire. The Chiefs went from 10-3-1 and losing to the Dolphins in triple OT to 5-9 in three years, two of which Rudnay was Pro-Bowl. They drafted a QB out of Kansas named David Jaynes, who promised to lead them back to glory. Rudnay decided to play a practical joke on the new QB, so he took an old pair of uniform pants and unstitched the seat. When Jaynes is ready to take the first snap in scrimmage, he looks down at his hands and sees the crack of Rudnay's cheeks. Jaynes jumps back and Rudnay snaps the ball through the end zone. Jaynes was the 66th pick and did not make the team his second year.

J

Ha! That's awesome!

What has the team been allowed to do for and with players who opted out? I am thinking primarily of Lucas Niang, who had an injury to rehab. Is the team allowed to provided training assistance, fitness and strength coaching? In short, how much more ready will he be than a typical rookie. 

J