It's time to start Hogan.

hornbybrown

I'm of the mindset that we need to run Kizer into the ground if he isn't going to be our future. I don't think he has it, but I still think he should have all 16 games. If he doesn't come away with a few wins and promising play, then we draft Rosen or even Darnold at #1. 

7 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Keep Kizer in. Kizer is the better of the two. Only thing Hogan has on him is familiarity with Hue's system. Did you see Hogan's long ball? It's ain't there. Hogan can throw the short ball and the scramble. Both things I'm positive Kizer can do. Let Kizer watch what Hogan did well and copy it. AGAIN give Kizer the rest of the season. We need to see if there is any chance he has a future as a starter and if we need to pick a top QB. We are NOT going anywhere this season anyways. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

This season is about more than just Kizer though.

On paper that's a great plan, but in reality there is a lockeroom full of dudes that are not going to be ok with a CLEARLY subpar player getting the reps. Hue risks losing the team IMO.

If Kizer was playing better, sure, but he's hasn't progressed and his ability to put points on the board has vanished.  3 td vs 9 pick, 50% comp...... I realize there are other factors that impacted those numbers, but you can only keep up that narrative for so long. At some point the next guy needs a shot, especially if they've played well thus far.

Let Kizer sit and learned and maybe catch his breath a bit.  If Hogan starts to stink, you can always give Kizer another look and hope his time spent learning will pay some dividends.

Just now, Reginaldm9 said:

I'm of the mindset that we need to run Kizer into the ground if he isn't going to be our future. I don't think he has it, but I still think he should have all 16 games. If he doesn't come away with a few wins and promising play, then we draft Rosen or even Darnold at #1. 

If we end up in a position to draft an elite qb, there's next to nothing Kizer could show me from here on out that would make me pass on a top tier qb.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If we end up in a position to draft an elite qb, there's next to nothing Kizer could show me from here on out that would make me pass on a top tier qb.

Agreed. All I'm saying is that there shouldn't be any push to win something if it doesn't show the young guy's talent. Hogan has been pretty good, but honestly he isn't going to change anything. Kizer more than likely won't either. Whatever. I hate this team. 

15 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Agreed. All I'm saying is that there shouldn't be any push to win something if it doesn't show the young guy's talent. Hogan has been pretty good, but honestly he isn't going to change anything. Kizer more than likely won't either. Whatever. I hate this team. 

It's not just about winning, but also getting a good evolution of other players.

Hogan made the rest of the offense look better and was simply allowing them to make plays Kizer wasn't.

Im usually all about letting a player learn from their mistakes, but Kizer is clearly in over his head at this point, which isn't unexpected to some degree, he's young as hell and inexperienced. 

I have to agree with the Keep Kizer in folks......IF we were going to do the "He needs to sit for a while and get use to speed of the game" then that should have been weeks 1-4 or 1-7 and start him after the bye. Starting him week one IMO locked him in for the SEASON. I would like to what Kessler had too...IMO he has just as much arm strength as Hogan...and he was a bit of a "Gamer" last year IMO.

Lets look back to the games that Hogan played in last year...as a Rookie, he looked equally as bad, if not worse IMO, as we knew Hogan had limited skill set. But as pointed out before, he had 4 years starting in a pro style offense in college, and a year under the belt here in Cleveland. He should look better than the rookie at this point.

With Kizer, I think were still waiting on that Ahhhh moment.....

2 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I have to agree with the Keep Kizer in folks......IF we were going to do the "He needs to sit for a while and get use to speed of the game" then that should have been weeks 1-4 or 1-7 and start him after the bye. Starting him week one IMO locked him in for the SEASON. I would like to what Kessler had too...IMO he has just as much arm strength as Hogan...and he was a bit of a "Gamer" last year IMO.

Lets look back to the games that Hogan played in last year...as a Rookie, he looked equally as bad, if not worse IMO, as we knew Hogan had limited skill set. But as pointed out before, he had 4 years starting in a pro style offense in college, and a year under the belt here in Cleveland. He should look better than the rookie at this point.

With Kizer, I think were still waiting on that Ahhhh moment.....

How long can you wait without seeing significant progress before the rest of the team starts giving Hue the side eye though?

55 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

How long can you wait without seeing significant progress before the rest of the team starts giving Hue the side eye though?

That is a fair question....One of the biggest traits I liked in Hue is his ability to rally the troops, get folks to buy in, and be able to handle some attitudes/head cases that most other coaches 1. wouldn't want too or 2. Not be able to handle.

But How many folks can give Hue the side eye besides Joe Thomas and Duke Johnson? The Wr' Coprs better not make a peep, the TE group is a rookie and 2 2nd years (Telfare was hurt his entire rookie season) and as much meat on the bone that Crow is leaving bone...he might want to keep quiet also....

And one side of the ball DOES NOT talk about the other......Any Given Sunday showed us what happens in that case

any-given-sunday-1999-13.png

16 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

That is a fair question....One of the biggest traits I liked in Hue is his ability to rally the troops, get folks to buy in, and be able to handle some attitudes/head cases that most other coaches 1. wouldn't want too or 2. Not be able to handle.

But How many folks can give Hue the side eye besides Joe Thomas and Duke Johnson? The Wr' Coprs better not make a peep, the TE group is a rookie and 2 2nd years (Telfare was hurt his entire rookie season) and as much meat on the bone that Crow is leaving bone...he might want to keep quiet also....

And one side of the ball DOES NOT talk about the other......Any Given Sunday showed us what happens in that case

any-given-sunday-1999-13.png

Hollywood aside, those defensive players may have something to say if they keep progressing and the kid keep coughing up the ball inside the 5.

I'm not saying guys will revolt, but you may simply start getting some "professional efforts". 

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This season is about more than just Kizer though.

On paper that's a great plan, but in reality there is a lockeroom full of dudes that are not going to be ok with a CLEARLY subpar player getting the reps. Hue risks losing the team IMO.

If Kizer was playing better, sure, but he's hasn't progressed and his ability to put points on the board has vanished.  3 td vs 9 pick, 50% comp...... I realize there are other factors that impacted those numbers, but you can only keep up that narrative for so long. At some point the next guy needs a shot, especially if they've played well thus far.

Let Kizer sit and learned and maybe catch his breath a bit.  If Hogan starts to stink, you can always give Kizer another look and hope his time spent learning will pay some dividends.

Well said once again. There's definitely things to like about Kizer, but he clearly isn't ready. He just looks uncomfortable out there. He's not getting a ton of help from his receivers, but Hogan has looked significantly better playing with those same guys. And like you said, Hue risks losing the locker room if he continues to play Kizer when Hogan seems more ready to help the team win some games this season. And why can't Hogan possibly be the future at QB? It's unlikely, but not impossible. There's a lot to like about his game. But yes, I say start Hogan and see what happens. If he struggles, then you can bring Kizer back later in the season.

Archived