Week 11: Packers vs Colts

Malfatron

10 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It was so clearly a team loss today.  Offense wasn't quite good enough .. defense not good enough .. special teams not good enough.   The offense had some nice moments, but also had three turnovers and went cold in the 3rd quarter.  The defense is basically a sieve that plays so embarrassingly soft out there.  The special teams stunk it up .. a turnover, bad punts, and weak returns. It's a team game and a team loss today. 

Absolutely. Second half collapse by our whole team, every level.

• Like 1

Our offence is not good enough to cover up our defence. I'm surprised we hardly committed to the run and insisted to throw it 3rd and short and 4th and short and throw it down the field.

We talk about the 28 first half points. None came off long drives, we were lucky to be in those situations with in essence short fields':

Midfield start after turnover for the 1st score
They missed a field goal we drive 55 yards for 2nd score (longest scoring drive of the half really)
3rd score after the interception we have to go like 30 yards for that
4th score most the yards were off the PI

In the second half we had poor field starting positions and when we had to drive the length of the field to score we couldn't do it.

Our defence is bad and we know it. But too think our offence is good is the more worrying thing, because it isn't. It is an illusion! I really felt early in the season we were a good offence but that has evaporated. We are struggling to move the ball and score in the way that we used to. We aren't doing the misdirection, timing thing anymore, throwing to running backs etc. Aaron Jones is not a weapon. Maybe that is a deliberate tactic for contract negotiations but he is not being used enough either in the running or passing game.

10 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

People have unrealistic expectations....We just struggled against two one win teams, finishing 1-1....We than play a quality team and lose by three points in overtime....One might think that is a portent of good things to come...

I suppose if you're find a way to lose it is better against an AFC opponent...

1 minute ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

The upside is, GB still controls their division....The Bears have no offense, and Rodgers has had good success against them....I'm just curious if we're going to struggle against the Eagles?....

I would think the Eagles are worse than the Bears.  At least the Bears have a good D and ST.

2 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I would think the Eagles are worse than the Bears.  At least the Bears have a good D and ST.

They beat us last year, and don't forget we also struggled against Detroit twice and Washington....Have struggled twice this year against Jacksonville and Minnesota....Teams that only had one win when we played them.....Also seems Wentz has good games when he plays us....

You know I hate our defense as much as the next guy but your simply not going to win too many games when you turn the ball over 3 times. Two I think came within our own redzone or damn close to it. We also didn't flip field position all game. Colts had to drive 50 yards it seemed on every possession while we had to go 80. I don't know what is going on with JK Scott but if he can't fix his consistency they need to bring in someone else. 

That 2nd half was exactly how you shouldn't play a second half up 2 scores. 

Fire Pettine. Multiple 3rd and 2nd downs where we play at the sticks and allow easy completions underneath to get within 1 yard or barely allow the 1st down. You have IMO 3 good corners and a pretty athletic safety duo to just play like we have nothing but Josh Jacksons on the field. 

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

You know I hate our defense as much as the next guy but your simply not going to win too many games when you turn the ball over 3 times. Two I think came within our own redzone or damn close to it. We also didn't flip field position all game. Colts had to drive 50 yards it seemed on every possession while we had to go 80. I don't know what is going on with JK Scott but if he can't fix his consistency they need to bring in someone else. 

That 2nd half was exactly how you shouldn't play a second half up 2 scores. 

Fire Pettine. Multiple 3rd and 2nd downs where we play at the sticks and allow easy completions underneath to get within 1 yard or barely allow the 1st down. You have IMO 3 good corners and a pretty athletic safety duo to just play like we have nothing but Josh Jacksons on the field. 

The lack of aggression is maddening.  Get up on the line and make receivers earn their catches.  What we were doing yesterday was ridiculous.

19 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Compared to other GMs with similar draft capital?

I don't sweat all that much about draft capital, since in a lot of ways the draft is a crap shoot - the higher the pick, the less likely the chance a player goes bust, but we all know there are zero guarantees. I just look at how many useful players come out of a draft, and his last good one may have been in 2013 (Bakh, Hyde, Tretter, Lacy - maybe verging in great, given the performance of Bakh and Hyde, plus a solid C and a great talent with poor discipline in Lacy) . You need to be hitting at that rate; the problem is despite the notables, the other 7 picks didn't do much of anything, which is bad. 2014 he got Adams and Linsley, again 2 All-Pros, but little else around them on 9 picks. 2015 was a disaster - good talent/ten-cent head in Randall, and the rest of the players were JAGs who've pretty much already washed out. 2016 brought Kenny Clark, and it wasn't the worst - 3 useful players in Martinez, Fackrell, and Lowry; Spriggs never panned out but is in the league so there must be some ability there. 2016 brought 2 good RBs in Jones and Williams, and a decent-but-dinged CB in King, the rest meh. 

It isn't terrible, but it isn't great either. 

On 11/23/2020 at 2:49 AM, Brit Pack said:

Our offence is not good enough to cover up our defence. I'm surprised we hardly committed to the run and insisted to throw it 3rd and short and 4th and short and throw it down the field.

We talk about the 28 first half points. None came off long drives, we were lucky to be in those situations with in essence short fields':

Midfield start after turnover for the 1st score
They missed a field goal we drive 55 yards for 2nd score (longest scoring drive of the half really)
3rd score after the interception we have to go like 30 yards for that
4th score most the yards were off the PI

In the second half we had poor field starting positions and when we had to drive the length of the field to score we couldn't do it.

Our defence is bad and we know it. But too think our offence is good is the more worrying thing, because it isn't. It is an illusion! I really felt early in the season we were a good offence but that has evaporated. We are struggling to move the ball and score in the way that we used to. We aren't doing the misdirection, timing thing anymore, throwing to running backs etc. Aaron Jones is not a weapon. Maybe that is a deliberate tactic for contract negotiations but he is not being used enough either in the running or passing game.

There's some good material here, but I think you're going too far. 

The offense has struggled the last few weeks, that's not really a debatable point. 

The issue with what we ran into in Indianapolis is that we were dealing with a polar opposite version of our own defense.

Our defense encourages the opponent to run on the philosophical theory that the run game isn't explosive enough to put up a ton of points. We play to prevent the big pass on the foundational assumption that on a 10 play drive, the opponent will make a mistake, get behind the chains, and our pressure package will win the day on 2nd and 3rd and long. 

Their defense is willing to give up the deep pass on the early downs if they can consistently force a stop on 1st down and get their pressure packages out immediately. They don't play with light boxes to nearly the same extent that we do. 

So they encourage Rodgers to pass early, and then their ILBs are excellent in coverage and blitzing. Jones only getting 10 carries and 4 targets wasn't really a Packers choice (we also ran like 0 offensive plays in the second half, so it's hard to focus on anybody when you don't have the ball). The Colts decided to take away Jones. By doing that, they opened some things up in the vertical passing game that our receivers took advantage of. 

We just weren't able to do enough with it.

Edited by AlexGreen#20

I don't see how going into a game expecting your offense to score more than 31 points on the #1 D in the NFL is a realistic gameplan. We did enough in the first half to win that game. 

2nd half you can't go 3 and out back to back, but you also can't then allow the other team to take up the entire quarter while you aren't on the field. That messes up the flow of any offense.