Sign in to follow this  
Greene N White

Does anyone on this forum actually still think darnold is good?

I defended the guy for awhile too but at some point you have to just give it up. The guy just doesn’t have what it takes to be a franchise quarterback. 

Personally yes I think he still can be a franchise qb. He needs a complete reset but with a decent line and some weapons around him it’s on him to use his physical traits to become that franchise qb. 

It’s all going to start with coaching for him though. If we do land the 1st/2nd pick and draft Lawrence or Fields then trading him to a team like NO that would be great for him. Working under Brees for a year and Sean Payton developing him would see him become a franchise qb IMO. 

I think mentally though he won’t make it here now. Even if we win a couple games (this is what I think happens) I think we will draft either Lawrence or Fields and trade Sam. If we maybe win 3 games and miss out on the qbs I fear even with a new HC here the damage is done. 

For both parties the best case scenario is we draft Lawerence/Fields and then trade Sam to a team with a older QB he can take over from in a year. 

My projected trade; Darnold to NO Saints for a 2021 3rd round pick with an additional 2022 2nd round pick if he’s on their roster come 2022. 

I think he can be a good QB...BUT he’s gonna have to go to the right situation. He was raw coming out and hasn’t really shown improvement, Macc/Gase haven’t done him any favors either but his inconsistent footwork and him staring down receivers are somethings I believe he should have improved upon regardless of the talent around him. If he was to land with say Sean Payton, Kyle Shannahan, Frank Reich, or The Steelers I believe he can turn his career around to the point where he can be a Derek Carr potentially even a Ryan Tannehill type qb

I think he will be with the right team like San Fran or Pitt. It's hard for me to judge players who was developing under a coach I don't like and doesn't adapt to his talent well. On top of that, Flacco probably only looked better because of how terrible the Pats are right now and actually had the starting WRs. Surrounding wise, we pretty much did the same thing we did with Sanchez & Smith. We stripped the talent away and had them surrounded by people that would never start for anyone else. The only difference is that JD's was actually more on injuries, the others just didn't have anyone on the roster at all. 

Sam got 7 weeks to save his job. It doesn't matter who's fault it is now, we're just not in a position we can pass up on some of these QBs for hope that Sam recovers under our new coach. I honestly want Sam to light it up so we can use the offseason building around the QB and trade back in the draft. The good news for Sam is that we're not playing a lot of tough defenses the rest of the schedule. So he has a shot. 

Every player has one timeline with one team.  Darnold is in year 3 and makes unimpressive results for his original team to count on.   The timing circumstance kills Darnold's chance to be a franchise qb for Jets. As far as NFL qb goes, he can be a franchise qb elsewhere.

So the answer is Yes.

Yes and despite what others think.... I think he shows that these last few weeks of the season. With a healthy group at WR and being rested I think he will play better. But the fact will still remain that if we still lose and are sitting at the 1st or 2nd pick... we kind of have to draft TLaw or Fields.

Darnold is good, and can be better, but until he has some players who can protect him

he will continue to be prone to forcing plays, being sacked and being injured.

He has been the beneficiary of terrible OL's PERIOD!!!!

Sam has talent but mentally he’s not there. People make excuses for him but only him so unfortunately he’s gotten a pass for all his boneheaded plays over his 3 seasons. 

If he played for McVay or Shanahan they’d do all the mental work for him but we’ve seen twice how that’s backfired when it matters most. He has to be able to process everything and make plays consistently and he hasn’t. 

Ive watched Flacco stand tall in the pocket and deliver passes, Darnold runs for his life post snap because he’s either scared or punch drunk. 

I guys I look at this a little different. Would I want Darnold leading any team out on the field? Last year I would say yes I think he can but now I think he is an average to below average QB. The mistakes he still makes as a 3 year vet who is 23 should not be happening. I don't care about OL or WR. If you look at the times he has to throw might first thought is the pass will get batted down, picked or a bad throw. My last thought is a completion. That tells me he is not a franchise QB. He needs everything to work around him to be good and that is called a game manager not a franchise QB. I think he is a Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton type guy. I'm just glad it only cost two 2nd round picks and no real damage like first round picks. 

Two main issues for me:

1. His deep accuracy is atrocious. Why is it so hard for him to throw a ball that a receiver can run under? Not everything needs to be a back shoulder throw.

2. I don't think the kid can read a defense. A lot of Gase's scheme is knowing when and when not to change the play at the line - usually to a screen or an inside zone play. Manning was a master at this and was why he had so many screens go for 30+ yards. I wish I saved it, but against (i think) the Broncos, he changed to a screen at the line because he read blitz, but it was a bluff by the defense; they wanted Sam to change the play. Lo and behold he goes screen, and the front 7 is all over it. BUT, to expect a 3rd year player to be as good as a weathered Manning at reading a defense is crazy. So it's not like he won't improve or learn while in a better offense.

On 11/15/2020 at 8:34 AM, Dr.O said:

I think he can be a good QB...BUT he’s gonna have to go to the right situation. He was raw coming out and hasn’t really shown improvement, Macc/Gase haven’t done him any favors either but his inconsistent footwork and him staring down receivers are somethings I believe he should have improved upon regardless of the talent around him. If he was to land with say Sean Payton, Kyle Shannahan, Frank Reich, or The Steelers I believe he can turn his career around to the point where he can be a Derek Carr potentially even a Ryan Tannehill type qb

What you say is all true, his first two year with the Jets the Offensive line was atrocious, this year it is a little better but still needs more help. And in this third year he had no WR's when he played.  And he has not had a TE that he can count on since he has been here. He is till only 23 years old He still seven games to show what he can do.

12 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

No one would have succeeded with what he had to deal with. 

I posted this in a different topic back in August:

Are we that bored that we are talking about a Sam replacement? Even if we have a down year; coaching, weapons, and oline (unproven still) will still be to blame. 2022 is the deciding year for him.. Lets get some weapons next year and see what he can do before we talk about *the next jet QB*

Needless to say it hasn't aged well. Still. I would love to see what Sam can do under a different staff with some support cast around him. 

Hard to justify this when staring at a "generational" talent with the possibility of opening a new rookie cap window for JD, but part of me really hopes we get the #1 pick and trade it to Jacksonville so we can take Jamar Chase and some early Oline help rather than using a pick to fill what could be an imagined need. 

I think Gase is just that bad a coach and he's the first variable that should be eliminated before we deem a guy a bust. 

Will I be upset if we draft TL? No, he's just that good.. but we better get a great return on Sam.

Will I be upset if we draft Fields? Yes, I don't think he's as big a slam dunk pick as Lawrence and think supporting cast and a coaching change could make a more immediate impact for whomever is playing QB for the Jets. 

I think Sam can be successful in this league and i'm terrified of the possibility that he ends up a Patriot and  makes us regret ever letting him go. (Just seems like the Jets luck). 

He is definitely not a "franchise QB". A franchise QB plays well regardless of whatever cards are dealt him. Burrow's offensive line has been a shambles all season. His defense can't stop the run. They are very young everywhere. His RB has been hurt, and he doesn't seem to have any chemistry with A.J. Green. And yet, Burrow gives Cincy a chance to win every week. That is what I hope we are getting with Trevor Lawrence (hopefully!).

Can a team win with Sam Darnold? Maybe. Teams have won the SB with lesser talent at the QB position, so it is possible. Unlikely, but possible. That said, is he any better than Jimmy Garoppolo? Because the Niners are going to move on from him. Is he any better than Philip Rivers, who will never be good enough to lead a team to anything? Is he Matt Ryan? Matthew Stafford? Carson Wentz? Baker Mayfield? 

None of those guys are franchise QBs. They are merely starting quarterbacks, good bad or indifferent.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2020 at 1:15 PM, NYJets4716 said:

No one would have succeeded with what he had to deal with. 

False.