Week 11 COVID-19 News

ET80

IMO, games should be delayed if there is a chance of a player playing in that game who is contagious but has not yet tested positive, aka in the incubation period.

if the teams have been cleared of that possibility, they should play the game or one team could have the option of forfeiting if they cannot put a viable team on the field.

To my knowledge, this is how the nfl has done it this year.

9 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

IMO, games should be delayed if there is a chance of a player playing in that game who is contagious but has not yet tested positive, aka in the incubation period.

if the teams have been cleared of that possibility, they should play the game or one team could have the option of forfeiting if they cannot put a viable team on the field.

To my knowledge, this is how the nfl has done it this year.

There is a 10 day incubation period. Closing facilities for MON-TUE wont do a wont catch everything

Re: sidelines & indoors - the data is quite clear; within team transmission is the bigger issue, not between-teams.  Outdoor transmission isn't nearly the problem.    It's prolonged indoor and close contact.  It doesn't happen enough in-game.  That part I can't ding the league on, they're taking the right approach to focus on sidelines and more importantly, indoor activities, and within the team.

Where the league falls short - their belief things can continue as they are.   And these silly half-measures like closing Mon-Tues.  That's not even close to long enough if Turkey day has led to a major spreader event.    I get they want to ride out the regular season, but let's just call it what it is, rather than try and use inconsistent arguments and principles to trying to contain the spread.

Having said that, don't mistake the above as absolving DEN for the QB situation - the QB fiasco was COMPLETELY preventable - by wearing a mask.  None of the 3 QB's would be on the high-risk list if they wore a mask.  It's that simple.   It wasn't like it wasn't known this was mandatory.   That's on the org, players & coaches.   The league isn't getting a pass for their overall approach, but the QB mess for tomorrow is entirely with DEN.

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Re: sidelines & indoors - the data is quite clear; within team transmission is the bigger issue, not between-teams.  Outdoor transmission isn't nearly the problem.    It's prolonged indoor and close contact.  It doesn't happen enough in-game.  That part I can't ding the league on, they're taking the right approach to focus on sidelines and more importantly, indoor activities, and within the team.

Where the league falls short - their belief things can continue as they are.   And these silly half-measures like closing Mon-Tues.  That's not even close to long enough if Turkey day has led to a major spreader event.    I get they want to ride out the regular season, but let's just call it what it is, rather than try and use inconsistent arguments and principles to trying to contain the spread.

Having said that, don't mistake the above as absolving DEN for the QB situation - the QB fiasco was COMPLETELY preventable - by wearing a mask.  None of the 3 QB's would be on the high-risk list if they wore a mask.  It's that simple.   It wasn't like it wasn't known this was mandatory.   That's on the org, players & coaches.   The league isn't getting a pass for their overall approach, but the QB mess for tomorrow is entirely with DEN.

Allegedly the Ravens players were following protocol and in spite of that, there was a super spreader event. Suggests that either the Ravens weren’t wearing masks or that the masks aren’t near as successful as we would like to believe. Either way, the Broncos are falling on the sword because they were breaking protocol...completely agree there. 

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

Allegedly the Ravens players were following protocol and in spite of that, there was a super spreader event. Suggests that either the Ravens weren’t wearing masks or that the masks aren’t near as successful as we would like to believe. Either way, the Broncos are falling on the sword because they were breaking protocol...completely agree there. 

The problem was a coach who had symptoms, and showed up to work (and didn't disclose he had symptoms, so who knows how many days he exposed players & staff for).  That's all it takes.   He was likely the super spreader and likely not just 1 contact point, but potentially days of contact, which increases the risk substantially.   If you are symptomatic and you hang around players for a prolonged period of time unchecked, there's going to be an even higher risk.   The issue with masks - it only works WITH social distancing and proper hand hygiene.  Self-contamination with mask removal was a major problem with H1N1, I suspect something like that happened in BAL.   People might have been wearing masks (or not), but self-contamination on removal is a very real risk.  It's why masks alone aren't the answer - distancing where possible, hand hygiene (and then absolute contact tracing and isolation once ppl start testing positive) is the only way that contains outbreaks.   

Using 1 measure alone isn't enough, not by a mile.   It's also why the policy on masks has to be absolute - it's not enough by itself, but not following it makes the other measures pretty useless, why everyone has to go on lockdown who didn't wear, otherwise you get a BAL redux.   Especially given how common Covid-19 is in COL (state estimated 1 in 34 citizens were infectious entering the weekend), this was a no-brainer to follow.   Fangio's lip service to ensuring the team would follow the rules after he got fined in September was just that - so honestly, it's not just on the players, but the staff that clearly turned a blind eye.    I have ZERO sympathy for the org, or the coaches.  And I say that as a diehard fan.  I only hope a player doesn't get hurt tomorrow because of the org's recklessness (a receiver put in harm's way because of a green QB, or a D that gets worn out and a late-game injury there).   

Edited by Broncofan

so how do the players that get covid end up getting a clean bill in a few weeks? Are they getting special meds or is there general overall health such that they don't really get to the ICU or funeral home like the scare of covid is?  Seeing them get it and then move on normally in a few weeks has really taken the fear factor down a notch anyways.

If this keeps happening, I expect there to be scheduling issues before seasons end. The real issue is what will happen if a playoff match is essentially ruined because of this if not postponed, or if after postponed there are more cases etc.  

1 minute ago, 3rivers said:

The real issue is what will happen if a playoff match is essentially ruined because of this if not postponed, or if after postponed there are more case

Thats why they really need to end the season after this week, and wait 2 or 3 weeks and have 16 team tournament.

• Like 1

Just now, Malfatron said:

Thats why they really need to end the season after this week, and wait 2 or 3 weeks and have 16 team tournament.

in theory on paper this would have thought to be the way to go about this. Problem is, lockdowns never seemed to solve this anywhere for some reason.   I really want the season to go on, but if this gets out of control, then who knows if it will  or when it will finish?  Really a shame, my steelers are undefeated but this season might have an * due to all this.

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I mean it really feels like the NFL is bending over backwards to help the Ravens be able to play football and just 2 ring clicked the Broncos when they asked for help. They said they were hard because the Broncos Qbs were not wearing masks in a meeting, but how does 400 Ravens players get put in COVID protocol and the same thing wasnt for them? If they were wearing masks they wouldnt be in protocol. So its okay for Ravens players to be negligent but not 4 Broncos QBs?

No, because they couldnt be for certain that the ravens outbreak wasnt spreading.

Its really not that hard to understand. The ravens had guys test positive multiple days in a row including on what would have been gameday. The NFL had no choice but to move the game back because they didnt know how many guys had the virus. 

In the case of the broncos, they have adequately contact traced and tested to where they believe with great certainty that they have contained the broncos' outbreak by simply not allowing exposed people to play on Sunday. 

SO its simply: uncontrolled spread (ravens, titans) vs controlled spread (broncos, 49ers, etc etc)

Its not some big conspiracy, the NFL is trying to slap a band aide on a dam and failing, but not failing to the point they cant just slap another band aide somewhere else 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

so how do the players that get covid end up getting a clean bill in a few weeks? Are they getting special meds or is there general overall health such that they don't really get to the ICU or funeral home like the scare of covid is?  Seeing them get it and then move on normally in a few weeks has really taken the fear factor down a notch anyways.

If this keeps happening, I expect there to be scheduling issues before seasons end. The real issue is what will happen if a playoff match is essentially ruined because of this if not postponed, or if after postponed there are more cases etc.  

Vast majority of people are not gonna wind up in the funeral home, especially younger people.  

Your fear of covid should be getting it and spreading it to someone in the high risk group, like parents or grandparents.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Vast majority of people are not gonna wind up in the funeral home, especially younger people.  

Your fear of covid should be getting it and spreading it to someone in the high risk group, like parents or grandparents.  

Yeah for most there is nothing, cold symptoms or mild flu symptoms (that do last longer). However, if you are at risk or just an unlucky one this can be a terrible fight. The scariest part is not knowing for sure which group you are in, the 80% that don't have much to fear (for themselves) or the 20% that get moderate or worse symptoms.