Bakh signs extension (4 years, 23M AAV)

CWood21

2 minutes ago, HeresAGuy said:

I am wondering if we can use King's delicateness to our advantage in negotiations.  Its a known problem and should drop his value a bit to make it more appealing to us from a numbers standpoint

Possible.

King could also say, let me go play somewhere A.  warmer and B. With a less conservative medical staff.

15 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Possible.

King could also say, let me go play somewhere A.  warmer and B. With a less conservative medical staff.

I think Seattle is going to break the bank for him.  Way more than we will be willing to pay.  They wanted him bad in that draft.  Nothing more than a hunch, but I think they pounce on him.

Edited by HeresAGuy

25 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Possible.

I believe if he was able to go, they would have played him today. I really hope we have our top two guys next week. Injury will bring King’s contract down a bit, but if he comes back and plays the way he had been, someone will pay a young CB with his measurables.

Who knows what the cap looks like next year but the league won’t just let the market completely collapse. I bet KK will have some callers. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Think Turner has done enough to warrant another year at RT.

Bakh-Jenkins-Patrick-Runyan-Turner is my guess for week 1 OL next year. With an OL being drafted day 1-2 of the draft for sure. Wagner gets cut.

Linsley most certainly gone. Bet we'll have room for King or Jones. I'd choose King. CBs are much harder to find.

Perhaps worth noting Gutey said in his press conference they did Bak's deal the way they did so they could potentially extend someone else during the season too.

6 hours ago, HeresAGuy said:

I think Seattle is going to break the bank for him.  Way more than we will be willing to pay.  They wanted him bad in that draft.  Nothing more than a hunch, but I think they pounce on him.

Let him go, collect in a year or two on a compensation 3rd or 4th round pick and move on and use the money more wisely for somebody that actually plays. King may be a guy that plays/signs a one year deal to show that he's healthy. I doubt it though. Some team hurting on defense this year will dole out the cash. I say then use our first or 2nd rounder on a good corner this year. 

4 hours ago, VonKarman said:

Hopefully we extend Jamaal and not Aaron. I'd then go CB, WR, DT with our first 3 picks.

I'm not sure why you say that, please explain? Do you actually think Jamaal is better? Built better for the future? Based off of thinking that Jamaal will just be cheaper? Because in my mind Jamaal is a good player, whereas Aaron can be a game changer. 

7 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I feel like that discounts the player, don't think we could afford King coming off last year's season. I'm willing to gamble. Jones isn't the picture of health either. 

Good point, but I think Aaron misses quite a bit less than King. But good point nonetheless.

So next year the Packers will have under contract

Rodgers/Love

Dillon/Taylor/Dexter

Deguara/Sternberger/Lovett

Adams/MVS/EQ/Shepherd/Funchess/Lazard/Taylor

Bakhtiari/Turner/Wagner/Nijman

Jenkins/Patrick/Runyan/Stepanik/Hanson

+++

Clark/Lowry/Keke

Kirksey/Burks/Summers/Martin/Barnes

Zadarius/Preston/Gary/Garvin/Ramsey

Alexander/Jackson/Hollman/Sullivan/Ento

Amos/Savage/Scott

+++

Bradley/Crosby/Scott

+++

Cutting Kirksey. Slotting in Bakhtiari with a 10 million dollar cap hit in year one and bringing back all the EFRAs, leaves us with 190.8 million in commitments. If the league cap is 176, our cap will be 182.8. Obviously we don't know what the league cap will be yet.

If we assume a flat cap, our cap would be 205 million.

That leaves us with:

• I know I'm always the proponent of going super young at RB but I would like Jamaal Williams back. I worry about Dillon and a rookie in pass pro. I'm terrified we're going  to give Jones 4/50.
  • It's a shame Tonyan is going to price out after this year. I just don't think you can give him the contract someone else might.
  • I'm actually good at WR. Adams/MVS/Lazard/Funchess with EQ still holding on as a lottery ticket should be fine.
  • Spend a high pick at Tackle, and Wagner's 4.25 million in cap relief if cut is looking mighty tempting
  • 5 interesting pieces on that interior, maybe 6 if you start a 1st round rookie RT and move Turner back inside. I'm not as sold on Runyan as many here.
  • Tyler Lancaster and Montravious Adams are likely playing for the same contract at DT. Adams brings a little more upside, Lancaster is more consistent down to down. This is one where you probably let the coach choose. Either way you're going to need a draft pick in here.
  • Kirksey's just too expensive to keep around with the young ILBs playing so well.
  • You can't cut Preston. This defense needs 3 OLBs and one needs to be able to drop into coverage. This is assuming that Pettine is still around next year. Every defense needs 3 OLBs, but a different DC might not value Preston as much in that role.
  • I'd like King back, but I think Jackson is doing just enough to not make that contract a must-sign. Either way, need a high round rookie here.
  • Got to think at least one of Greene/Redmond are brought back. They'll be dirt cheap.

+++

If the cap stays flat and we have 205 million to work with, I have to imagine we roll over 6ish. That would get our spend up to 197. 2 million for the draft picks is 199. That leaves 6 million left.

Pick one of:

Aaron Jones

Kevin King

Corey Linsley

OR:

Tonyan and a below piece

OR:

6 million of the below

2 million class:

Jamaal Williams, Marcedes Lewis, Lane Taylor, Montravious Adams, Tyler Lancaster,  Raven Greene

1 milllion class:

Tyler Ervin, Billy Winn, James Burgess, Parry Nickerson, Will Redmond, Tim Boyle

+++

Gun to my head, give me Williams, Lewis, and Adams. 

I probably beg Williams and Adams to let me sign them to 3 year deals with low cap hits year one to bring back Ervin and Greene. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Skippy said:

I'm not sure why you say that, please explain? Do you actually think Jamaal is better? Built better for the future? Based off of thinking that Jamaal will just be cheaper? Because in my mind Jamaal is a good player, whereas Aaron can be a game changer. 

Jamaal is going to cost less than half of what Aaron is going to cost. We are already well over the cap with Bakh's signing (probably means cutting Kirksey, Wagner, Lowry and restructuring Z). RBs are seldom game changers and when they are they tend to be in their rookie contracts. RBs usually start declining at 26-27 and Jones will be 26 next year. Oh, and Jamaal is right now a pretty decent RB who is also elite at pass pro.

I rather choose to overinvest in another position, specially when we used a 2nd round in Dillon.

17 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

Jamaal is going to cost less than half of what Aaron is going to cost. We are already well over the cap with Bakh's signing (probably means cutting Kirksey, Wagner, Lowry and restructuring Z). RBs are seldom game changers and when they are they tend to be in their rookie contracts. RBs usually start declining at 26-27 and Jones will be 26 next year. Oh, and Jamaal is right now a pretty decent RB who is also elite at pass pro.

I rather choose to overinvest in another position, specially when we used a 2nd round in Dillon.

While I think we all like Jones I just find him too inconsistent. I love the big play ability but he is not in the Kamara or Cook sphere of things and he wants to get paid like that. I'd be disappointed if we paid more than $8m a season for him. Games like yesterday he disappears. 

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Why-an-Aaron-Rodgers-trade-could-come-sooner-than-you-think-147055106/

I'm just going to sneak this in here - I know it's going to be a hard pill to swallow for all of us fans, but read the article and actually think about it from a business perspective and not a fan. Only when you understand it's a business, and only then should you look at it as a fan.