Week Ten Recap: Turner solid at RT as Packers beat Jags

Refugee

1st seed...stop the count!!

And I know, that the D# & Pettine always get the most of the blame, and often rightly so, but yesterday, with the game on the line, the D# delivered, O# and ST didn´t so much. Gary showed up, Preston in the end as well, Clark played the best since week 1,  and the back up corners were ok as well. It is still not a good D# and a worse coordinator, but yesterday our problems were the other two phases. D# gave up 13 points - in every game that should be by far good enough for our O# to get the job done without a doubt. 

• Like 2

Couldn't care less how crappy we looked. A win is a win. Take it and move on. The biggest question from this game is how long will Adams be out? I know he came back in and caught the TD, but we know this medical staff.....if I had to guess right now, I'd say probably 2-3 games without Adams again? Maybe he can play through an ankle sprain, but doubt they'd let him. 

I get the whole "you'd rather win ugly than lose pretty", but the fact that we barely beat the f'ing JAGS, at home no less, is a serious red flag, especially with the #1 defense coming up. And yes, I know home field isn't as advantageous this year for obvious reasons, but we still get the luxury of no travel, so no excuse for this shyt.

Edited by KManX89

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

Play action works best when you can run and we couldn't get that going yesterday.

Yes.  The run-pass certainly works better when the run game is more efficient and more threatening.  The run game has really struggled.  Not sure the stats would confirm it, exactly, but seemed there was a disproportionate number of run-plays on first downs, and they were predominantly ineffective.  Seemed like we were working from 2nd-and-8 an awful lot.  

Observationally, it looked like when they ran, the line generally tended to push forward.  When we run, it seems like the line doesn't.

Not sure, but it's kinda seemed like last year and in early games this year when run was working, there were a fair number that went outside, seemingly often some of the more productive ones.  Lately productive outside runs seem more rare.  Not sure if that's play-calling (don't have the blocking scheme to get outside), or if it's simply the execution and the plays just don't work, no edge to get around.  Or whether it's just better defensive planning. 

I wonder if defenses haven't kind of cased us, to some degree, and are compressing nearer the line? 

They know almost all of our plays are either runs or very short passes, (screens, WR screens, little short stuff to Jace or Lewis, etc.. 

So I kinda feel like the defenses have been crowding nearer the line.  Particularly bad teams who are underdogs and feel they need to take some chances; maybe it's best to play physical and crowd the underneath stuff, and take your chances on the deep ball?  Yesterday, the one deep ball that converted was 7 points, the eventual difference in the game.  

They also kinda know that Lewis, Jace, and 3rd receiver aren't likely to be targets, and don't need much attention.  Especially not more than 5 yards downfield.  Plus our TE/WR don't have much deep speed other than MVS, Adams included.  So I'm just wondering whether defenses pretty much know what we do and are able to crowd run/short-pass areas with a lot of defenders? 

My thoughts...

Let's hope this was the MVS breakout game.  No drops.  

Best game I've seen Clark play in quite some time.  Maybe he's getting into playing shape.

We gotta rush P more.  Those long arms just come in so useful.

Jackson and the backup corners looking better in their zone.

Amos with the beautiful pick.

Gary was active.  Still I'd like to see a counter move sometime, but he looks healthy and fast.

Despite being outhit and outhustled for 3 quarters, it looked to me like we matched their physicality and energy in the 4'th quarter.

Martin with Kirksey looked like a nice pairing.

And it was a win.  Not pretty at all, but you take 'em when you can get 'em.

Looks to me like defenses have now caught up to offenses in the NFL.  Our basic stuff isn't as easy right now.  Guess I feel like we will get some of that back, soon, when Lazard is on the field with MVS and 'Vante.

There is hope that with King and Alexander back, that we can run a good pressure scheme when we want to.  And Jackson hasn't been a huge liability yet.  We shall see if that remains true when we play a real NFL quarterback.

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

....Despite being outhit and outhustled for 3 quarters, it looked to me like we matched their physicality and energy in the 4'th quarter.

...Looks to me like defenses have now caught up to offenses in the NFL.  Our basic stuff isn't as easy right now.  Guess I feel like we will get some of that back, soon, when Lazard is on the field with MVS and 'Vante.

There is hope that with King and Alexander back, that we can run a good pressure scheme when we want to.  And Jackson hasn't been a huge liability yet.  We shall see if that remains true when we play a real NFL quarterback.

Defense against bad opponents usually plays a version of prevent.  I think in the 4th quarter, they changed that some, with more man coverage, and with more 4-man rushes.  I can't remember exactly, but wasn't it in the last drive, maybe before the jags 4th down play, that Packers went out with a 3-man rush setup; but then there was a timeout  and they came back out with 4-man rush.  

Agree with your hope that if King and Jaire get back, that maybe they'll try to pass-rush more.  I hope so.  

Whats the odds of us have the 1 seed at the end of the season? Ideally I think in cold weather games you want a strong physical run game I'd think. We all know how the packers do against physical running teams. Would it be beneficial to not have the 1 seed and play where it isn't so cold? I mean without fans in the stadium, other than travel, does the 1 seed really matter?

3 hours ago, Pugger said:

Play action works best when you can run and we couldn't get that going yesterday.

What worries me most about this team right now isn't the defense, or even the special teams. What worries me most is the offensive line getting stoned in the running game. Inside and outside, there's just nothing there. If this doesn't get fixed, this team isn't going anywhere in the playoffs. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

Whats the odds of us have the 1 seed at the end of the season? Ideally I think in cold weather games you want a strong physical run game I'd think. We all know how the packers do against physical running teams. Would it be beneficial to not have the 1 seed and play where it isn't so cold? I mean without fans in the stadium, other than travel, does the 1 seed really matter?

The bye is still huge.  So far, LaFleur hasn't shown to be great after the bye (minus against a depleted Sea last year) but one less playoff game is huge.  NFL games are brutal but the playoffs are even more intense.  Saving that beating and getting basically an automatic W in the first round is critical to getting to the conference championship.

I hope we can establish a cold weather, ground and pound identity, at least as much as possible with this team and 12 under center, who will wisely get his share of throws.  5/7 games will be outdoors in the north.  We'll see what kind of team we are in the elements before the playoffs.