Pittsburgh fans: How concerned are you for Big Ben?

everlong

19 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Signing Kirk cousins would be a mistake. They honestly need to draft a guy and use the cap to retain their talent. 

Yeah sure, lets just draft a guy with our mid teens to low 20s pick. Its not like other teams fail to pull it off year after year after year with top 5 picks.

Kirk Cousins is a good QB and outside of TE every facet of the Steelers offense is leagues better than what he works with in Washington.

1 hour ago, everlong said:

Do y'all think he's legitimately regressing or just in a slump? When you combine his recent performance with thoughts of retirement in the offseason, it makes you wonder if his time is coming.

If we could measure punishment absorbed by the QB position, I have no doubt Ben would top the list. His playing style was never conducive to a playing as long as other QBs, and everyone who follows the Steelers knows this. He's in a slump, but so is Bell, who has only had one good game after skipping the preseason. Too early to write off the future first ballot HOF QB in terms of his performance this year, but it's possible this could be his last season. 

30 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Yeah sure, lets just draft a guy with our mid teens to low 20s pick. Its not like other teams fail to pull it off year after year after year with top 5 picks.

Kirk Cousins is a good QB and outside of TE every facet of the Steelers offense is leagues better than what he works with in Washington.

Move up then. How many times do you see free agent QBs move to another team and become as productive or better 

3 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Move up then. How many times do you see free agent QBs move to another team and become as productive or better 

How many times do good QB's get a chance to leave in free agency? There are some examples though like Drew Brees, Carson Palmer, and Alex Smith in recent memory.

1 hour ago, TXsteeler said:

How many times do good QB's get a chance to leave in free agency? There are some examples though like Drew Brees, Carson Palmer, and Alex Smith in recent memory.

I also don't think it's Pittsburghs style to make a move for a high $ QB. They aren't one of those franchises. They are a draft and develop team. 

The fact that he seriously considered retiring in the offseason is why I suspect he is probably done as a borderline elite QB. He's still the same size with the same arm that he had last year, and at 35 I'd say age isn't a physically limiting factor yet. So I'd wager his struggles are more a lack of focus/interest on his part. No excuse to be playing as poorly as he has when you have AB, Bryant and Bell.

Archived