Pittsburgh fans: How concerned are you for Big Ben?

everlong

5 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

The Jaguars have Blake Bortles at QB and a bad o-line with Allen Hurns as the no.1 WR. I repeat, Blake Nortles at QB. 

Not sure how the OL so far this year has shown to be bad. It's not great, and we do need upgrades, but bad is a bit harsh I feel like.

Bortles being the QB obviously puts us back, but when your defense is creating turnovers/pressure like ours is and Fournette is punishing defenses than you are going to have plenty of opportunities.

We are definitely a mediocre team though. We aren't finishing any better than the 8-8/9-7 range at best imo.

2 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

Yeah sure, lets just draft a guy with our mid teens to low 20s pick. Its not like other teams fail to pull it off year after year after year with top 5 picks.

Kirk Cousins is a good QB and outside of TE every facet of the Steelers offense is leagues better than what he works with in Washington.

They moved up for Big Ben.  If they keep the other pieces in place, trade up again.  Use the money they aren't using on multiple picks to re-sign  key guys.

The retirement talk in the offseason is really the biggest thing, for me. Big Ben, before he stared going off with AB and Bell, wasn’t always a consistent, game-to-game, really great QB. He had some bad ones, as do all QBs. Plus, the Steelers have a knack for dropping one game in which they are heavily favored (not 100% how much they were expected to win by vs Jax). So a slow start to a season isn’t that big a deal for a team that has shown what Pittsburgh has shown over the last decade.

The fact that he’s playing poorly and reportedly considered retirement this offseason is why I’d be concerned. I’m not accusing the guy of not having his heart in it, but it’s within the realm of possibility. He may just be physically degrading after all those injuries he’s sustained over the years. His offensive supporting cast isn’t one that you’d expect to limit him or hold him back. 

Pittsburgh better be in love with Dobbs, and if not, there’s a good QB class coming this year.

4 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

The 04 class might all go out the same year. Probably next year.

You can stick a fork in all three of them.

That's an interesting thought. Realistically they probably should. The Giants are being held back by Eli at this point,  Rivers is stuck declining on a team that is going nowhere in a city that doesn't want them, and Ben has just his physical and mental limit. 

Could see them all either going this year or sticking it out for one more. But not much after. 

8 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

The fact that he seriously considered retiring in the offseason is why I suspect he is probably done as a borderline elite QB. He's still the same size with the same arm that he had last year, and at 35 I'd say age isn't a physically limiting factor yet. So I'd wager his struggles are more a lack of focus/interest on his part. No excuse to be playing as poorly as he has when you have AB, Bryant and Bell.

Everyone ages differently. He just might not have it physically anymore.

I think it's obvious. He's beaning the ball all over the shop. It's not a slight regression, it's like he's just learning to throw the ball. Some of his passes have been scattergun. I think Pitt should be looking at drafting a QB high, yes. 

Just now, TheVillain112 said:

Big Ben and the Steelers offense should bounce back around week 8-9, and the Steelers need to invest heavily in finding a new QB.  Both statements can be true...

I don't know, he just sorta seems like he's loosing interest if you ask me.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

I don't know, he just sorta seems like he's loosing interest if you ask me.

I'm not falling for it.  He intentionally threw out the 'maybe I don't have it anymore' line.  Full drama queen Ben statement.  He's going to go ham at some point in the season (or get hurt).  I'm not counting him out yet...

Just now, TheVillain112 said:

I'm not falling for it.  He intentionally threw out the 'maybe I don't have it anymore' line.  Full drama queen Ben statement.  He's going to ham at some point in the season (or get hurt).  I'm not counting him out yet...

I'm not saying he "doesn't have it anymore" but from everything I've seen it feels as if he doesn't really care all that much about football anymore.

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

I'm not saying he "doesn't have it anymore" but from everything I've seen it feels as if he doesn't really care all that much about football anymore.

He just loves the attention, and loves to make statements when he plays bad.

Marcus Gilbert comes back healthy, Haley realizes he has Le'Veon Bell, they run deep routes for Bryant again, etc...  Just a matter of time.  I'm not getting my hopes up that they stink all season on offense...

Archived