Pittsburgh fans: How concerned are you for Big Ben?

everlong

10 minutes ago, TheMonarch1110 said:

A good amount is probably bias. I've just never seen it consistently. I heard a lot of top 5, top QB. In that sense, I think that is a reach. Maybe that range you stated, but I'd probably say towards the bottom end of that if so...and that is just personal opinion. I think he would be an absolute stud of a flag football QB or a backyard, no pads, tackle QB. It seems all the games I put on with him he just isn't great so I never see it. He has glimpses like almost every QB does. Maybe I'm just watching the wrong games with him.

He has been top 5 at times.   Thats not even arguable.     Ben is not elite and has never been consistently elite, but he has still be one of the most consistently quality QBs in the league since he started....which is more than you can say for most QBs.    

I could understand your sentiments if Ben was consistently ranked up with the big 4....but he wasnt.      

Even as a Steeler fan, Ive never been Ben's biggest fan, but outside of some people overrating him AT TIMES, he has largely been rated pretty fairly and accurately, with the big 4 ALWAYS being rated higher and him in the argument for the 2nd tier of QBs along with a few others.  

On 10/11/2017 at 1:11 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

He has been top 5 at times.   Thats not even arguable.     Ben is not elite and has never been consistently elite, but he has still be one of the most consistently quality QBs in the league since he started....which is more than you can say for most QBs.    

I could understand your sentiments if Ben was consistently ranked up with the big 4....but he wasnt.      

Even as a Steeler fan, Ive never been Ben's biggest fan, but outside of some people overrating him AT TIMES, he has largely been rated pretty fairly and accurately, with the big 4 ALWAYS being rated higher and him in the argument for the 2nd tier of QBs along with a few others.  

Drew Brees:

Game: 2012 vs. Atlanta L 13-23
Stats: 28-50, 341 Yards, 0 TD, 5 INT, 1 Sacks, 37.6 QBR

Aaron Rodgers:

Game: 2014 vs. Buffalo L 13-21
Stats: 17-42, 185 Yards, 0 TD, 2 INT, 34.2 QBR

Peyton Manning:

Game: 2007 vs. San Diego L 21-23
Stats: 34-46, 328 Yards, 2 TD, 6 INT, 49.4 QBR

Tom Brady:

Game: 2006 vs. Indianapolis L 20-27
Stats: 20-35, 201 Yards, 0 TD, 4 INT, 34.0 QBR

So, if the "Big 4" have a game like this, it's ok, but for Ben to have one, well, stop the presses, he must not be as good of a QB as he's proven through his 14 year career.  Gotta love FF and the endless threads of 'overreactions'. Iremember the same thing, what, was it 2, 3 years ago when Brady had a horrific start to a season, and everyone said he was done?  Oops. I'm not saying he's done, or he isn't, but one bad game??  Or heaven forbid, he hasn't had a 300yd passing day until last week?  And all of a sudden he's done?  Or worse, now come the naysayers, trying to use this as evidence that he was never that good anyway?  Look at the examples above?  Did you react that way then, as well?  No, but I'm sure the haters of those players did at that time as well.

Ben has the same number of 5 INT games, and 4 INT games as Drew Brees. Anyone who knows me, knows my take on Brees, anyway. There's been a Big 3--Brady, Manning, and Rodgers, and then there was Ben, Brees, Rivers, Romo, Ryan--depending on the season.

But yes, Ben has always been 'that good', and one bad games doesn't change that...

34 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

Drew Brees:

Game: 2012 vs. Atlanta L 13-23
Stats: 28-50, 341 Yards, 0 TD, 5 INT, 1 Sacks, 37.6 QBR

Aaron Rodgers:

Game: 2014 vs. Buffalo L 13-21
Stats: 17-42, 185 Yards, 0 TD, 2 INT, 34.2 QBR

Peyton Manning:

Game: 2007 vs. San Diego L 21-23
Stats: 34-46, 328 Yards, 2 TD, 6 INT, 49.4 QBR

Tom Brady:

Game: 2006 vs. Indianapolis L 20-27
Stats: 20-35, 201 Yards, 0 TD, 4 INT, 34.0 QBR

So, if the "Big 4" have a game like this, it's ok, but for Ben to have one, well, stop the presses, he must not be as good of a QB as he's proven through his 14 year career.  Gotta love FF and the endless threads of 'overreactions'. Iremember the same thing, what, was it 2, 3 years ago when Brady had a horrific start to a season, and everyone said he was done?  Oops. I'm not saying he's done, or he isn't, but one bad game??  Or heaven forbid, he hasn't had a 300yd passing day until last week?  And all of a sudden he's done?  Or worse, now come the naysayers, trying to use this as evidence that he was never that good anyway?  Look at the examples above?  Did you react that way then, as well?  No, but I'm sure the haters of those players did at that time as well.

Ben has the same number of 5 INT games, and 4 INT games as Drew Brees. Anyone who knows me, knows my take on Brees, anyway. There's been a Big 3--Brady, Manning, and Rodgers, and then there was Ben, Brees, Rivers, Romo, Ryan--depending on the season.

But yes, Ben has always been 'that good', and one bad games doesn't change that...

I agree with the gist of your post, but I think there is a little more concern in this case because Ben and our offense has been sputtering all year.

Still, as we both have stated, its way way way too early to start claiming he, Eli and Rivers are "done".    

44 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I agree with the gist of your post, but I think there is a little more concern in this case because Ben and our offense has been sputtering all year.

Still, as we both have stated, its way way way too early to start claiming he, Eli and Rivers are "done".    

It is too early to state that he is "done" but it isn't too early to be concerned about him. It's early in the year so a lot can change but as of right now being the 28th rated passer behind Bortles, Brissett, Glennon etc... with what should be a very very good offense is concerning. Then again Bell is averaging 3.6 per carry which isn't in the top 30 and there isn't much worry about him, although his age probably has a lot to do with that. Still a lot of time to turn it around but Ben will have to do it against some pretty good defenses for the most part so we shall see. It is already too late for me, I cut him from my fantasy team.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

It is too early to state that he is "done" but it isn't too early to be concerned about him. It's early in the year so a lot can change but as of right now being the 28th rated passer behind Bortles, Brissett, Glennon etc... with what should be a very very good offense is concerning. Then again Bell is averaging 3.6 per carry which isn't in the top 30 and there isn't much worry about him, although his age probably has a lot to do with that. Still a lot of time to turn it around but Ben will have to do it against some pretty good defenses for the most part so we shall see. It is already too late for me, I cut him from my fantasy team.

Okay....but we were quite clearly referring to the people saying he was done.     

Try to keep up.    

9 minutes ago, August4th said:

just hope we find a quality QB to replace him soon. I'm not ready to watch years of mediocre QB play hold the team back, I'm spoiled

I think it would be a good idea for the Steelers to draft a top QB. Sit behind Ben for a year before handing the reigns to the new guy.

16 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think it would be a good idea for the Steelers to draft a top QB. Sit behind Ben for a year before handing the reigns to the new guy.

You're assuming Ben even comes back for another year.

4 hours ago, Malik said:

You're assuming Ben even comes back for another year.

Honestly, unless he gets hurt (or is already hurt that we dont know about) or wins a Superbowl, I see him finishing out the last 2 years of his contract.   I cant see him leaving money on the table unless he feels like he cant do it anymore.

Could be wrong....but I didnt take his retirement talk entirely seriously....and wont take it seriously this offseason either unless we win a Superbowl...and even then I dont think he would.  

3 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

He'll be fine.  He's a veteran and a warrior.  He'll bounce back soon, maybe even today.  I re-watched the Jags game and I'm not as panicked as I was last weekend.  Nothing to see here.  Just a lot of overreaction hype.  

My concern doesnt stem from last week...it stems from how he has looked the first 5 weeks.

Yes....claiming he is "done" is either just trolling or laughable kneejerking....but there is a legit reason to be at least a little concerned....moreso that he doesnt care than that he cant do it anymore.  -_-

26 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

My concern doesnt stem from last week...it stems from how he has looked the first 5 weeks.

Yes....claiming he is "done" is either just trolling or laughable kneejerking....but there is a legit reason to be at least a little concerned....moreso that he doesnt care than that he cant do it anymore.  -_-

I agree, he hasn't looked that great, but after watching the Jags game again with a cold, clinical eye, he did flash some.  Despite the godawful INT stats, and some very off-target throws, there is reason to be hopeful I think.   My biggest concern is his recent proclivity to throw to AB in triple coverage.  

Just now, TheVillain112 said:

DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU GUYS DID!!!

Kidding.  So the Steelers (Cough*Todd Haley*Cough) finally realized that Le'Veon Bell is kind of a decent RB that deserves touches.  Who knew.  Big Ben still looks off though...

Absolutely, still overthrowing people. His accuracy this year is the worst I can ever remember it being, although I didn't watch his first 3 seasons.

Archived