Drew Brees - Injury status (and updates when available)

Mid Iowa

So we're all curious with what's up with the Brees injury he sustained against the 49ers Sunday evening. That's what this thread will be for.
That was a massive shot, and one we rarely see Brees take, and this one broke him.

This was initially stated as a rib injury. If so, that's a few/three weeks to get back to comfortable. The way he looked on the sideline, though... I suspect it's more. I'm guessing this compounded his shoulder issue. He was virtually crushed by a 289 man, and although it wasn't a full weight crush, it was a crush on Brees's throwing side, and that's what he was pointing to on the sideline.

I suspect we'll see a Winston start for at least a week.

More updates to come once we hear results of his MRI. 

45 minutes ago, Dome said:

I don’t remember where, but I read he was having some back stiffness and that was what made him sit out. He said it wasn’t a pain issue but more of a throwing motion issue. 

Hope it’s not too serious.

I was thinking the same could've happened with the ribs as well.  Even if they gave him a shot so his ribs wouldn't hurt, if it was stiff at all from having to rest during halftime it could be difficult to get back in rhythm.  Thankfully Winston looked on a similar level to how TeddyB did when he came in, though in different ways.

• Like 1

Rib contusion is the semi-official word from PFT this morning. The Saints seem to think he will miss time with it unfortunately. They say he is having further tests done later today to see the extent of the cartilage damage.

edited to add:

PFT Link: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/11/16/report-drew-brees-suffered-a-rib-contusion/

Edited by nolaexpat
  • Like 1

So with Jamies the likely starter so Hill can be used as a gadget still, how did everyone feel about his performance?  I thought he performed at a similar level to TeddyB but just in different ways.  Teddy B was more like Brees in being very accurate in the shorter/underneath routes and had a little more arm to go deeper but didn't really show it much.  Jamies seems like he has a better feel for slinging it a bit more between the 20's but he'll struggle more on the more precise throws in the redzone, like the missed throw to MT I think it was where MT was open underneath slanting out to the pylon but Jamies was high and to the right, though I might be misremembering it.

23 minutes ago, Raves said:

So with Jamies the likely starter so Hill can be used as a gadget still, how did everyone feel about his performance?  I thought he performed at a similar level to TeddyB but just in different ways.  Teddy B was more like Brees in being very accurate in the shorter/underneath routes and had a little more arm to go deeper but didn't really show it much.  Jamies seems like he has a better feel for slinging it a bit more between the 20's but he'll struggle more on the more precise throws in the redzone, like the missed throw to MT I think it was where MT was open underneath slanting out to the pylon but Jamies was high and to the right, though I might be misremembering it.

Remember how bad we looked in the 2nd half of the rams game when brees hurt his thumb? When teddy got thrown into the mix he wasn’t ready and the offense couldn’t do much. He needed the reps and playcalling set up for how he’s most comfortable quarterbacking.

Jameis will go into the next game with a week of starter reps and a game plan tailored to him, just like Teddy got in his first start vs the Seahawks where he looked much more confident leading the offense.

it gives me a little more hope for Jameis next week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raves said:

Jameis looked ok, not great not terrible.  He just needs to not kill us with mistakes, and I don’t expect Payton to ask him to gunsling all over the place.  We don’t really need one of his patented 400 yards, 4 TD, 4 Int games.

So Adam Schefter is reporting that Brees has multiple rib fractures on both sides of his chest and a collapsed lung on the right side.

Holy crap. Surprise he could play at all after that. What a badass!!

Hoping he heals well, and I'm sure we won't see him until the Chiefs.

Study up, Jamis, you're up!!

57 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

So Adam Schefter is reporting that Brees has multiple rib fractures on both sides of his chest and a collapsed lung on the right side.

Holy crap. Surprise he could play at all after that. What a badass!!

Hoping he heals well, and I'm sure we won't see him until the Chiefs.

Study up, Jamis, you're up!!

Wow.  Can’t believe he played(and threw a TD) after that, if this is true.

• Like 2

He shouldn't be out that long. It's a pain tolerance thing. Romo suffered a punctured lung and cracked ribs against the niners (lol what are the odds), finished the game and didn't miss a game after that. This may be more extreme resulting in some lost time, but if he misses more than a week or two, I'd be a little surprised. 

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

He shouldn't be out that long. It's a pain tolerance thing. Romo suffered a punctured lung and cracked ribs against the niners (lol what are the odds), finished the game and didn't miss a game after that. This may be more extreme resulting in some lost time, but if he misses more than a week or two, I'd be a little surprised. 

Problem is he already had the shoulder thing and who knows what else is wrong with old man Brees.

The one thing I'd like everyone to keep in mind was when Teddy B came in for Brees in the Rams game. He played similar to how Jameis did. Then in subsequent weeks improved quite a bit. Payton sets up the offense to be suited to Brees' play style. I bet we see a different offense that will suit Jameis. As Teddy B did, I bet we see Jameis improve on his performance last week and actually run the offense well.

Really sucks for Brees and I think this is his final year. Hopefully Jameis can buoy us so he can take his time.

• Like 1