Drew Brees - Injury status (and updates when available)

Also two other notes:

1.) I really hope the lockerroom is taking care of Ruiz. The rookie's missed block led to this and I'm sure he feels awful.

2.) Taysom is probably done as a gadget player until Brees is back. He's our backup QB, and I doubt they'll risk a injury for him. Same thing happened when Teddy played snaps.

This is a HUGE audition for Winston though. If he can lead us through unscathed, it puts him in the drivers seat to take over once Brees retires.

• Like 1

Curious to see how Winston does as a starter for us, as he will be the starter while Brees is out. Will get a better idea of how he can look in this offense with an actual gameplan revolved around his strengths in the coming weeks. Great audition for him to be our QB of the future after Brees retires.

37 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

The one thing I'd like everyone to keep in mind was when Teddy B came in for Brees in the Rams game. He played similar to how Jameis did. Then in subsequent weeks improved quite a bit. Payton sets up the offense to be suited to Brees' play style. I bet we see a different offense that will suit Jameis. As Teddy B did, I bet we see Jameis improve on his performance last week and actually run the offense well.

Really sucks for Brees and I think this is his final year. Hopefully Jameis can buoy us so he can take his time.

Our oline got manhandled in that Rams game, I doubt neither Brees nor Teddy would have done much.

So the latest update is 3 broken ribs on one side, and 2 on the other. The broken ribs likely punctured his lung. 

If you've ever had a broken rib, you'll know that this is a big deal. Every move you make, including breathing, includes rib movement. And a QB constantly rotates. With this injury, we'll be lucky to see Brees in time for the Chiefs. 

Let's hope he avoids the Covid, too. He won't be able to cough without excruciating pain, and that can lead to pneumonia. 

I'm sure he'll get the best medical treatment money can buy, so at least there's that.

I'm sure everyone knows what's going on by now, and I've forgotten to update this thread. In case anyone is left behind:

Brees has 11 fractured ribs - whether that's cracked or broken, who knows - and a punctured/collapsed lung.

He was just place on the "new" Injured/Reserve (IR) list, so he must sit 3 games. He'll likely sit more. Nobody's coming back from that kind of rib injury in 3 weeks.

Hypothetically, he could be back in time for the Eagles game, or Chiefs (I'm sure the Chiefs is everyone's wish), but that would be pushing it. Until then, it's Coach Brees.

• Like 1

From the sideline shots of the Falcons game, I'm pretty impressed with Winston's attitude through this whole thing. Looks like he's bought into this what Payton and the organization is doing no matter what they decide. Appears to be a lot of camaraderie in our QB room which I'm very happy to see.

• Like 1