GT: Jaguars v Steelers

.Buzz

19 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Luton vs the Steelers D. What could go wrong?

As I wrote in our game thread, the Jaguars have played the Steelers tough most every game since the expansion game upset.  In 1998, rookie Jonathan Quinn outplayed Kordell Stewart wiinging 21-3.  A long time ago, but the Jaguars have had a mystique playing against the Steelers.  This is not just a chock up an easy victory for the Steelers. I hope that our defense can jump on your QB early and often and that our offense gets to the stadium before halftime. 

A lot of fans are looking past this game based on the Steelers and Jaguars records, but don't know the history and consistency that the Jaguars have always played the Steelers hard. We will be very happy to leave Florida with a win.  You can give the Steelers defense some problems if you can run early effectively.  They have had some problems with run defense the past several weeks since losing ILB Bush, Hybrid Nickel Back Hilton and former Jaguar NG Tyson Alualu. If you can run effectively to set up the pass you can compete as you have the past few games against the Texans and Packers. 

Steelers three keys  to  beat the Jaguars will be:

1. Stop James Robinson early and often. Put the Jaguars in negative down in distance second and third and long.

2. Force  Luton to throw in obvious passing situations. Not expecting perfection on third down conversions, but keep the Jaguars in long situations that help the pass rush and secondary.

3. Establish our own rushing attack so that they are not throwing 50 times. They love the deep ball, but it also puts you at second and 10 or 3rd and ten when you miss those throws. Run and keep the down in distance manageable (under 5 yards). 

Jaguars keys to beat the Steelers

1. Run the ball well and take away possessions/opportunities from the Steelers offense.

2. Force turnovers and win the penalty battle. Help the Steelers beat themselves.

3. Be smart passing. The secondary has been playing well and the pass rush is strong, so don't hold the ball long or throw it up for grabs. 

4. Make the most of opportunities. Steelers have not played a complete football game despite their record. The defense gives up big plays every game and the offense is at times out of sync. Take advantage of these if they happen and pressure them into more mistakes. 

I would wish you luck, but you guys always seems to have it against us.  Luck is where preparation and opportunity meet. Your coaches have always matched the intensity and  Besides, I am still hopping mad over the two butt kickings in 2017 that dashed of our SB dreams. I hope we stomp you, but realistically history says it will be close. I will take a one point win! I think the game will be competitive and I believe the Steelers may pull away a little in the second half. I predict 27-17, but a closer game than the 10 points.  We owe you guys. In fact, we were lucky to win the game in 2018 holding you to FG's and coming back from 16 points down in the third quarter. 

Just now, Steeler Hitman said:

As I wrote in our game thread, the Jaguars have played the Steelers tough most every game since the expansion game upset.  In 1998, rookie Jonathan Quinn outplayed Kordell Stewart wiinging 21-3.  A long time ago, but the Jaguars have had a mystique playing against the Steelers.  This is not just a chock up an easy victory for the Steelers. I hope that our defense can jump on your QB early and often and that our offense gets to the stadium before halftime. 

A lot of fans are looking past this game based on the Steelers and Jaguars records, but don't know the history and consistency that the Jaguars have always played the Steelers hard. We will be very happy to leave Florida with a win.  You can give the Steelers defense some problems if you can run early effectively.  They have had some problems with run defense the past several weeks since losing ILB Bush, Hybrid Nickel Back Hilton and former Jaguar NG Tyson Alualu. If you can run effectively to set up the pass you can compete as you have the past few games against the Texans and Packers. 

Steelers three keys  to  beat the Jaguars will be:

1. Stop James Robinson early and often. Put the Jaguars in negative down in distance second and third and long.

2. Force  Luton to throw in obvious passing situations. Not expecting perfection on third down conversions, but keep the Jaguars in long situations that help the pass rush and secondary.

3. Establish our own rushing attack so that they are not throwing 50 times. They love the deep ball, but it also puts you at second and 10 or 3rd and ten when you miss those throws. Run and keep the down in distance manageable (under 5 yards). 

Jaguars keys to beat the Steelers

1. Run the ball well and take away possessions/opportunities from the Steelers offense.

2. Force turnovers and win the penalty battle. Help the Steelers beat themselves.

3. Be smart passing. The secondary has been playing well and the pass rush is strong, so don't hold the ball long or throw it up for grabs. 

4. Make the most of opportunities. Steelers have not played a complete football game despite their record. The defense gives up big plays every game and the offense is at times out of sync. Take advantage of these if they happen and pressure them into more mistakes. 

I would wish you luck, but you guys always seems to have it against us.  Luck is where preparation and opportunity meet. Your coaches have always matched the intensity and  Besides, I am still hopping mad over the two butt kickings in 2017 that dashed of our SB dreams. I hope we stomp you, but realistically history says it will be close. I will take a one point win! I think the game will be competitive and I believe the Steelers may pull away a little in the second half. I predict 27-17, but a closer game than the 10 points.  We owe you guys. In fact, we were lucky to win the game in 2018 holding you to FG's and coming back from 16 points down in the third quarter. 

Yeah, we've always had a good rivalry with you guys (although it's soured when divisions switched and we've been bad for the last decade outside of 2017), so you could be right. I just am not confident against a D of that caliber and Big Ben is still Big Ben, with all those weapons all over...I just don't see it.

You guys do play down to your opponent so we'll see.

• Like 1

Just now, .Buzz said:

Yeah, we've always had a good rivalry with you guys (although it's soured when divisions switched and we've been bad for the last decade outside of 2017), so you could be right.

The not so good ole days of the AFC Central with the Titans as well. 😁 That was hard at physical football every game.  

I just am not confident against a D of that caliber and Big Ben is still Big Ben, with all those weapons all over...I just don't see it.

The Steelers should win and should control the game, but I am not overly confident.  I don't think anyone in Pittsburgh sees the Jaguars as a bad football team despite your record.  You lost a lot of good defensive players and games that you were in it until later in the second half.  Ben is playing very well, but hopefully he does not try to gamble as he did with some passes in Tennessee and even last week against the Bengals. The Steelers love throwing deep, but it sometimes kills drives. The Steelers run defense and run offense both have some questions to answer on the field. 

You guys do play down to your opponent so we'll see.

I always hear the play down argument. The Steelers rarely play a complete A game. That is something that must change before the play-offs. I don't see the 2020 Steelers

playing down as much as opposing teams are getting up to play the Steelers and hand them their first L. 

6 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I always hear the play down argument. The Steelers rarely play a complete A game. That is something that must change before the play-offs. I don't see the 2020 Steelers

playing down as much as opposing teams are getting up to play the Steelers and hand them their first L. 

I mean, this team is bad. No doubt about it. We have (especially with no Minshew, but even he was struggling) a terrible QB situation and a super young team overall. We have been close in a lot of games recently but I wouldn't read into that too deeply.

The defense has picked it up. We have some young players really playing good football on defense like Myles Jack, Sidney Jones, and Davon Hamilton but still a lot of issues as a whole. We've been suceptible to a big 70 yard play or two pretty much every week. It's a unit that's definitely playing fast and physical out there though.

Either way, as long as you don't overlook the game it shouldn't be a huge issue for you guys imo. Packers are kind of soft (which has been an issue for a while imo) and I think we just came and punched them in the mouth and they didn't know what to do. Don't expect that to happen against PIT.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I mean, this team is bad. No doubt about it. We have (especially with no Minshew, but even he was struggling) a terrible QB situation and a super young team overall. We have been close in a lot of games recently but I wouldn't read into that too deeply.

Understood. I see the effort there and that is encouraging. I don't see your team hanging its head and quitting when they are down. 

The defense has picked it up. We have some young players really playing good football on defense like Myles Jack, Sidney Jones, and Davon Hamilton but still a lot of issues as a whole. We've been susceptible to a big 70 yard play or two pretty much every week. It's a unit that's definitely playing fast and physical out there though.

I was a fan of Sydney coming out of college with our need for a CB. He had a very unfortunate injury. If he can get back to pre injury form look out. I have seen that and it is what somewhat concerns me as we love to try to get big pass plays rather than be balanced, methodical and then hit the big plays. I used a boxing analogy in my GDT. To summarize here, the Steelers like to throw haymakers and try to knock you out. Most teams see those heavy punches coming a mile away or they miss. Better to outbox the opponent with body shots, jabs, hooks, crosses and combinations. The hands will come come down and then you can land the hatmaker. That's been the Steelers offense since the second half of the Titans game. What got them the early lead and dominance? Playing balanced football and converting short and intermediate passes.

Either way, as long as you don't overlook the game it shouldn't be a huge issue for you guys imo.

Trust me. They are not.  Not a lot of talk, but they know what the Jaguars have done to them in the past.

Packers are kind of soft (always has been really) and I think we just came and punched them in the mouth and they didn't know what to do.

Scary QB though.  You are correct that you want to hit the Packers in the mouth early and often.  If for no other reason, so that Big brother A-A-Ron gets frustrated before he can do some damage,

Don't expect that to happen against PIT.

I don't either. I think they learned something against Dallas and should have the take care of business mindset. Your coach is tough minded, so I am not expecting anyone to roll over and curl into a ball without a fight!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I don't see your team hanging its head and quitting when they are down. 

Quitting when things are going bad is a hallmark of this team under Marrone. If you come out guns blazing and get a couple quick scores on us and keep us from scoring, we’ll turtle up and let you do basically whatever you want for the rest of the game. Just start fast and the game will be a cakewalk from there.

We’re very much a team that almost any team can put away in the first quarter if they hit the gas early. But if you don’t and keep things within a score, we won’t go away completely. I expect you’ll punch us in the mouth early and then coast. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, pwny said:

Quitting when things are going bad is a hallmark of this team under Marrone. If you come out guns blazing and get a couple quick scores on us and keep us from scoring, we’ll turtle up and let you do basically whatever you want for the rest of the game. Just start fast and the game will be a cakewalk from there.

We’re very much a team that almost any team can put away in the first quarter if they hit the gas early. But if you don’t and keep things within a score, we won’t go away completely. I expect you’ll punch us in the mouth early and then coast. 

As a Steelers fan that all sounds good. Nothing that I would like more than for the Jaguars to tap out early. Only two problems: 1. Our offense has been typically slow starters all year. Even last week against the Bengals they got the ball twice near or past the 50 yard line the first quarter: Result two FG's. 2. The Steelers have played at least half their games from behind. 

I know there has been some drama and problems with the coaches, etc,. But your coach is a tough minded guy. It is hard for me to see Coach Marrone just quitting. These are the Steelers, so everyone wants to beat them. You have a history of doing just that when the odds where against you. I don't think that you will win, but as I have been saying, I don't see a walk in the park either. 

1 hour ago, Steeler Hitman said:

It is hard for me to see Coach Marrone just quitting.

It's not that he quits, it's the he lacks the ability to motivate guys to fight through adversity. 

And yeah, we've often played you close, but this is the worst Jaguars team of all time, and one of the better Stealers teams since the Jaguars have been in the league.

And while there might be the mystique of us beating you often when we should have been counted out, it's not really reality. 2017 and 2007, we beat you twice, but those were both Jaguars teams that went to the AFC Championship game, so they were fully capable of beating anyone. In 2006, we beat you and were both 8-8. In 2005, we beat you and we were both 11-5 teams. There's the 2001 game you mentioned as the last time we beat you when it didn't make sense that we absolutely should be able to do so, and you completely dismantled us the previous matchup that same year. 

Even beyond that, in 2000 we split you as a 7-9 team when you were a 9-7; not necessarily the exact result one would expect, but not out of the ordinary. 1999, we went 14-2 and got a sweep. We split in 1998, when the Jags were a 11-5 team and the Steelers a 7-9 team. We split in 1997, when both teams were 11-5. We split in 1996, when the Jaguars were a 9-7 AFC Championship team and the Steelers were a 10-6 team. Then 1995, we beat you when we were a 5-11 team and you were 11-5, really the only other time from the one you mentioned when it wasn't expected. 

So I mean realistically, we've beaten you twice when it wasn't an obvious thing that we had a real shot at doing so; back in 1995 and 2000. I don't think that counts as a history of doing anything, when it's happened twice and the most recent one was 19 years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pwny said:

It's not that he quits, it's the he lacks the ability to motivate guys to fight through adversity. 

I trust that you know your team and coaches better than I do. Which is why I am eliciting opinions from your page/group. I will agree that the motivation factor does not seem to be there with the exodus of very good Jaguars players. I have respect for the coach. Then again I am in a much different age group than today's players.

And yeah, we've often played you close, but this is the worst Jaguars team of all time, and one of the better Stealers teams since the Jaguars have been in the league.

Completely subjective, but hey, as a Steelers fan, I certainly hope that you are correct. I'll take the L as long as the Stealers don't. 😁

And while there might be the mystique of us beating you often when we should have been counted out, it's not really reality. 2017 and 2007, we beat you twice, but those were both Jaguars teams that went to the AFC Championship game,

2017 was also a Steelers team that was supposed to be a #1 seed minus a bad overturned TD against the Patriots. The Steelers were still 13-3. The Jaguars were a bad match-up. Maybe things would have been better had they played a week later, but the Steelers were expected to win and play the Patriots for the AFC Championship. The Jaguars said no. Period. They had the Steelers number. The Jaguars: Better defense yes, better offense no. Better prepared and motivated yes. 

In 2007 the Steelers were looking to go back to the SB after being two years removed and having a young star at QB.  The Jaguars ran all over them with MJD, Taylor and QB David Garrard in both games and played solid defense.  That has been trademark Jaguar football (strong rushing attack and solid defense).  We were rivals, but I believe the Steelers were believed to win the rematch and they didn't. It is the play-offs. Typically all of the teams are pretty good. This year may be a bit of an anomaly with the NFC East. 

so they were fully capable of beating anyone.

Not saying that they were not capable. They still have favorites. In 2007 the Pats were tearing up everyone (16-0) and it was thought they would remain perfect and beat the Giants. Didn't happen, but they were definitely the better team. Bad match-up the second go round. Ironically, your ex-head coach with the tough football mindset.

In 2006, we beat you and were both 8-8. In 2005, we beat you and we were both 11-5 teams. 

In 2005, the Steelers were coming off a 15-1 season in which they lost in the AFC Championship. They won the SB as a WC that year, but look who tripped them up in OT that day and the Steelers were 11-5. In 2006 they were defending SB Champs expecting to go again with a young franchise QB.  Bad off season, Coach Cowher's wife got cancer and the team greatly under-achieved. No excuses, but they Steelers were looking to go to the SB again, and were definitely better than an 8-8 team. Same could be said when they went 11-5 the previous year. They were a better team than the 2004 team that barely beat you. I disagree with you on this one. These were games the Steelers expected to win, but didn't.

There's the 2001 game you mentioned as the last time we beat you when it didn't make sense that we absolutely should be able to do so, and you completely dismantled us the previous matchup that same year. The opposite. You guys beat us early in the year. This was right before 9/11 and it changed the course of our season for the better. Yes, the Steelers won the rematch, but again they were 13-3 and loss at home in the AFC Championship game. The Jaguars again notched an L on them and finished 6-10. Guess who one of those six wins was against?

Even beyond that, in 2000 we split you as a 7-9 team when you were a 9-7; not necessarily the exact result one would expect, but not out of the ordinary. 1999, we went 14-2 and got a sweep. We split in 1998, when the Jags were a 11-5 team and the Steelers a 7-9 team. We split in 1997, when both teams were 11-5. We split in 1996, when the Jaguars were a 9-7 AFC Championship team and the Steelers were a 10-6 team. Then 1995, we beat you when we were a 5-11 team and you were 11-5, really the only other time from the one you mentioned when it wasn't expected. 

Most of these games the Steelers had a higher expectation to win. Maybe the Jaguars always knew.  Even your great LT Tony Boselli once said that it can be a rivalry when the Steelers say, so. Until then we will keep beating them.😁  Not that they underestimated the Jaguars as much as the Jaguars just played better in those games. They never cared about reputation or records. 

So I mean realistically, we've beaten you twice when it wasn't an obvious thing that we had a real shot at doing so; back in 1995 and 2000. I don't think that counts as a history of doing anything, when it's happened twice and the most recent one was 19 years ago.

It was good reminiscing with you, but we will agree to disagree. From a Steelers standpoint, we were expected to win most of those games. We were the team that went to the SB in 95 when the expansion Jaguars upset us. The Steelers were 11-5. There is history.  It doesn't mean anything, but it is there. History repeats itself when you don't learn from it. Many times the Steelers didn't.  They have never really blown out the Jaguars, but the Jaguars have blown them out. 

Here are the 9-0 Steelers against the 1-8 Jaguars with no chance to win. Uh, sorry, been there and done that! No thanks. As Coach Tomlin says, we respect you, but don't fear you.  I am glad because whenever the Steelers "expected" to win. It hasn't worked out too good. The Jaguars have earned my respect. It is not hallow or shallow praise. 1995 SB, loss to Jacksonville. 2005 SB Champs, lost to Jacksonville. 2006 defending champs they go 8-8 lose to Jacksonville. 2007 play-off aspirations with first year HC Mike Tomlin and lose to Jacksonville twice. 2008 SB Champs and barely beat the Jaguars who go 5-11. 2017 Humiliated in game one and sent packing from the play-offs in game two (Oh both games in Pittsburgh also).  Steelers steal a game in 2018 only to lose the next three and miss the play-offs. History! You were saying!😉 They say history is written by the victors, so my view from the losing side of this 14-12 rivalry is a little different. 😁

• Like 1

20 hours ago, .Buzz said:

This is a typical Mike Tomlinism.  It is sometimes like trying to understand or interpret a poem or riddle. My translation, "We don't fear them(Jaguars), but respect them. We (Steelers) are not not SB Champions either.  This is a reference to the times off the rivalry when it was in full effect. " Typical with Coach Tomlin's  "The standard is the standard."  One of my favorites is, "It will take a very varsity effort from our players" He has also challenged some players using the JV vs. Varsity to motivate. He's also said, "We won, but not a very varsity effort across the board!" You have to use anything that you can to get some players motivated.

38 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

This is a typical Mike Tomlinism.  It is sometimes like trying to understand or interpret a poem or riddle. My translation, "We don't fear them(Jaguars), but respect them. We (Steelers) are not not SB Champions either.  This is a reference to the times off the rivalry when it was in full effect. " Typical with Coach Tomlin's  "The standard is the standard."  One of my favorites is, "It will take a very varsity effort from our players" He has also challenged some players using the JV vs. Varsity to motivate. He's also said, "We won, but not a very varsity effort across the board!" You have to use anything that you can to get some players motivated.

Yeah, Tomlin is up there for me as far as favorite coaches. Has been for a long time now (even setting aside my dislike for the Steelers). 

• Like 1