Drew Brees has multiple rib fractures, collapsed lung

.Buzz

Just now, scar988 said:

IDK man. The Falcons will get after Jameis. Taysom is way overrated by well, everyone. And I think they can create pressure. But I'm less enthused about our offense against y'all's defense. Jordan has our number and the Falcons still have Dirk Koetter at OC.

I still think that it is likely that the Saints win...I'm more referring to the spread. I could see a scenario that it is either very close or the Saints lose.

19 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I still think that it is likely that the Saints win...I'm more referring to the spread. I could see a scenario that it is either very close or the Saints lose.

I mean, I think us losing by 4-5 is probably the most likely scenario. 28-24 Saints makes the most sense to me.

20 hours ago, ET80 said:

Nah, this is setting up the curtain call. Brees will find his way back to the Saints come playoff time and game manage a great Saints team to a SB win, then ride off into the sunset...

More likely he scores a go ahead touchdown with 40 seconds left and then watches from the sidelines while Jared Goff throws a walk off game winning touchdown.

So they said he already had cracked ribs on his right side I believe after a hit in the Tampa Bay game but couldn't identify it at the time because of inflammation there... I mean, ok your star player gets hit and complains about pain in the ribs, they check it and notices inflammation so something bad happened there and also he's a little guy compared to the monsters that surround around him that get paid millions to get to him and they don't further investigate it? WTF? Oh brees, put another layer of protection and you good to go... 

It seems NFL teams operate hoping for the best a lot of times. What if the landed on the side that already had cracked ribs? His lung would be severely punctured no? Sad just to think about it.

Edited by LaFellSBXLIXMVP

15 hours ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

So they said he already had cracked ribs on his right side I believe after a hit in the Tampa Bay game but couldn't identify it at the time because of inflammation there... I mean, ok your star player gets hit and complains about pain in the ribs, they check it and notices inflammation so something bad happened there and also he's a little guy compared to the monsters that surround around him that get paid millions to get to him and they don't further investigate it? WTF? Oh brees, put another layer of protection and you good to go... 

It seems NFL teams operate hoping for the best a lot of times. What if the landed on the side that already had cracked ribs? His lung would be severely punctured no? Sad just to think about it.

The truth is that QBs play with cracks ribs all the time. Even if they would have identified small hairline fractures it wouldn’t have likely affected the decision to play. This is the world of Sports Med where players are given blocks and pain killers and they play through injury. The truth is that if standard of care was following, professional football would look very different. For one...KC wouldn’t have won the Super Bowl last season.

20 hours ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

I mean, ok your star player gets hit and complains about pain in the ribs, they check it and notices inflammation so something bad happened there and also he's a little guy compared to the monsters that surround around him that get paid millions to get to him and they don't further investigate it? WTF?

This scenario happened to Delvin Breaux (cornerback, Saints) where the team doctors misdiagnosed a broken leg. They called it a sprain/strain, and treated it as such. This caused a rift between Breaux and Sean Payton who was getting pissed that Breaux couldn't "go", and ultimately Breaux was cut, and is now playing (or is contracted with) in the Canadian League.

Those doctors were later fired by the Saints after it was determined that they simply botched the diagnosis. I wonder if the same will happen with Brees. How do you not further investigate the ribs of your marque player?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mid Iowa said:

This scenario happened to Delvin Breaux (cornerback, Saints) where the team doctors misdiagnosed a broken leg. They called it a sprain/strain, and treated it as such. This caused a rift between Breaux and Sean Payton who was getting pissed that Breaux couldn't "go", and ultimately Breaux was cut, and is now playing (or is contracted with) in the Canadian League.

Those doctors were later fired by the Saints after it was determined that they simply botched the diagnosis. I wonder if the same will happen with Brees. How do you not further investigate the ribs of your marque player?

You typically don’t get further imaging unless the results would change your management. I’m very doubtful that the information obtained by doing an MRI would have prevented Brees from suiting up. 

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

You typically don’t get further imaging unless the results would change your management. I’m very doubtful that the information obtained by doing an MRI would have prevented Brees from suiting up. 

Fair. I'm not a doctor, although I look like one now 😷

18 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

If Sean Payton had a soul, Brees would be on IR right now for the next 3 weeks. He'd force him to heal up from the punctured lung and broken ribs. 

22 minutes ago, scar988 said:

If Sean Payton had a soul, Brees would be on IR right now for the next 3 weeks. He'd force him to heal up from the punctured lung and broken ribs. 

Not in a chess match. You need teams to take the time to prepare for both (or all 3) QB's, not just 1 or 2. 

48 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Not in a chess match. You need teams to take the time to prepare for both (or all 3) QB's, not just 1 or 2. 

I don't care about the rivalry at this point. Falcons know Brees is 100% gonna be out. And if he's not out, there'll be competition committee and safety committee questions coming to the Saints. None of which they will want. Brees at this point risks literally dying on the field if he goes out there in the next 3-4 weeks. No one wants to see that. Broken ribs aren't a joke. Punctured lung isn't a joke. 

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

He could be back in three weeks. I think that it is more likely 4-5 weeks. But the roster spot isn't as important as having Brees for an additional game if he's good to go.