Drew Brees has multiple rib fractures, collapsed lung

.Buzz

15 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

He could be back in three weeks. I think that it is more likely 4-5 weeks. But the roster spot isn't as important as having Brees for an additional game if he's good to go.

Thing is, IR is ONLY 3 weeks this year. And unlimited DTR. Put him on there. Signal you care about his health. And let's be honest, he's 41, it's probably a 5-6 week situation. (Broken ribs on average take 3-6 weeks to heal. He's older than average in the league and will take longer to heal)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

If Sean Payton had a soul, Brees would be on IR right now for the next 3 weeks. He'd force him to heal up from the punctured lung and broken ribs. 

1) Sean Payton has no soul, this is known

2) Drew Brees won’t be forced to do anything regarding his health, he’ll play when he tells Payton he’s ready to play

3) To be clear, Sean Payton has no soul.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dome said:

1) Sean Payton has no soul, this is known

2) Drew Brees won’t be forced to do anything regarding his health, he’ll play when he tells Payton he’s ready to play

3) To be clear, Sean Payton has no soul.

1) the owners of the Saints don't either. So this isn't shocking.

2) Drew Brees should be forced to sit for 3 weeks so that he heals up. He punctured a lung. 

3) See 1.

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

Thing is, IR is ONLY 3 weeks this year. And unlimited DTR. Put him on there. Signal you care about his health. And let's be honest, he's 41, it's probably a 5-6 week situation. (Broken ribs on average take 3-6 weeks to heal. He's older than average in the league and will take longer to heal)

I don’t think that his age is a factor. There’s no evidence to suggest that he’s at risk of delayed bone healing. Last year he had a ligamental injury (an injury that is more associated to age-related delayed healing)...and he came back sooner than anyone before. Was Payton heartless then? 

Ribs don’t take 3-6 weeks to heal. That’s just the typical time period that the pain improves. It actually takes much much longer to heal. Does that mean that every NFL coach is heartless for not forcing their players to end their season out of concern of reinjury? Brees will eventually return this year...he’ll be wearing a flack jacket, his pain will he better, he’ll be functioning better...but he’ll be at risk for reinjury, regardless when he returns this year. 

Ultimately, when it is reasonably safe for him to return, he’ll be given the risks and he’ll make his decision. There are risks of him NOT returning. He could lose his job (like Tyrod Taylor) and he could see the Saints fail without him (which could hurt him financially moving forward). These aren’t easy decisions. 

4 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

I don’t think that his age is a factor. There’s no evidence to suggest that he’s at risk of delayed bone healing. Last year he had a ligamental injury (an injury that is more associated to age-related delayed healing)...and he came back sooner than anyone before. Was Payton heartless then? 

Ribs don’t take 3-6 weeks to heal. That’s just the typical time period that the pain improves. It actually takes much much longer to heal. Does that mean that every NFL coach is heartless for not forcing their players to end their season out of concern of reinjury? Brees will eventually return this year...he’ll be wearing a flack jacket, his pain will he better, he’ll be functioning better...but he’ll be at risk for reinjury, regardless when he returns this year. 

Ultimately, when it is reasonably safe for him to return, he’ll be given the risks and he’ll make his decision. There are risks of him NOT returning. He could lose his job (like Tyrod Taylor) and he could see the Saints fail without him (which could hurt him financially moving forward). These aren’t easy decisions. 

or he could see the Saints do extraordinarily well without him 🤔

23 hours ago, scar988 said:

I don't care about the rivalry at this point. Falcons know Brees is 100% gonna be out. And if he's not out, there'll be competition committee and safety committee questions coming to the Saints. None of which they will want. Brees at this point risks literally dying on the field if he goes out there in the next 3-4 weeks. No one wants to see that. Broken ribs aren't a joke. Punctured lung isn't a joke. 

I really don't know what you're getting all bent about. Not going on IR doesn't mean they're going to play him. 
There's nothing rivalry about this. I'm guessing that 2 separate doctor's opinions and the entire brass have made a decision based on more knowledge than what you and I have right now, so maybe watch it play out.

1 hour ago, Asciimo said:

winning out big plays down the field

What good does that do if he turns the ball over substantially more than Brees? The Saints without Michael Thomas most of the year are ranked 4th in points per game and 1st in the NFC record wise. I find it hard to believe the Saints would play "extraordinarily" well without him.

Edited by tyler735

5 minutes ago, scottishpatriot said:

So Hill in to start according to Rapoport. Thoughts? Surely the Falcons would rather face him than Jameis or will some read option shenanigans be afoot with Kamara.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1329798998652293120?s=19

Then what the hell was the point of signing him. That’s so disrespectful I’m sure he’s pissed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scottishpatriot said:

So Hill in to start according to Rapoport. Thoughts? Surely the Falcons would rather face him than Jameis or will some read option shenanigans be afoot with Kamara.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1329798998652293120?s=19

Hard to say with Sean Payton. For all we know Hill "starts" the first series as an option QB and we work Winston in after that.

Or maybe Sean Payton really wants to run an unorthodox offense to throw team off Brees's absence with Hill behind center. There is pretty much zero tape for defenses to study on Hill as a QB, so for a few weeks we might be able to get away with some unorthodox QB play. Could see it being similar to a Tim Tebow style of play that had some limited success early on before defenses adjusted.