The Vikings (Not So) Special Teams Thread

SteelKing728

The old thread is kinda back there, and is from 2018-2019 season. I figured we could use a new one, unless the mods think otherwise.

We survived 2 weeks of bad ST play. That has to be fixed or it'll cost us.

At this point, can we make a move to bring in better players or do the coaches need to step up?

I think the lack of practice during the offseason on ST has come back to bite them.  That isn't necessarily an excuse, but if it doesn't improve from here on out, I imagine Maloof is going to be very aloof (or will he be on fire) from this organization next year.   I don't necessarily know what exactly is the root cause of the problems, but I'd start with the coverage on special teams and go from there.  I don't think Cutting is going to be a long-term issue in the snapping, but he clearly can't do that again, since it could have cost them the game if there had been a more competent QB on the opposing team.

Edited by swede700

With the defense having to shuffle players around and getting young players up to speed plus the offense really struggling earlier on,  is it possible that they just haven't spent as much time practicing speciation teams is usual? I imagine they've had to shuffle players around quite a bit also with the injuries.  

Cutting is making me nervous though.  Hopefully he is just in a funk and snaps out of it

51 minutes ago, swede700 said:

He ain't leaving his home-town.

I would say bring back Heath Farwell, but he's probably having a good time coaching STs up in Buffalo.  And one of @vike daddy's guys, Colt Anderson (but he ain't no Dustin Fox), is currently the assistant ST coach over in Cincy, but this is his first year doing that, so he's not ready yet.  Maybe, Zimmer should just do a Stefanski and give Ficken the job after the season.  It certainly worked out for Kevin, so Ryan may just be able to do the same for the STs.  I mean he's only been the assistant STs coach for 8 years (and been with the team for 14).

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1