The Vikings (Not So) Special Teams Thread

SteelKing728

On 12/2/2020 at 1:23 PM, SteelKing728 said:

Yeah, but Forbath was pretty below average (he had a lot of missed XPs if I recall) and Vedvik was a complete waste. 

We just need to bring back prime Patterson, Sherels, Farwell, Onatalu, Kearse, Sendejo, Mitch Berger, Chris Walsh and a few other guys and we are golden!

Actually, I wouldn't mind bringing back the current Cordarrelle Patterson.  He is still a dangerous returner, as we found out when we played 'da Bears, and he is also an effective gunner on the other side of the ball.  I'd love to get him back here!

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Our special teams unit keeps proving to be something else man...dang.

A lot has to change there in 2021.

I’m convinced it will always be a problem under a Zimmer led team. His disdain for that group has been apparent over the years, how can anyone expect to perform well? Bailey seemed to manage it fine, until the last two weeks. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

His disdain for that group has been apparent over the years, how can anyone expect to perform well?

Because it is their job. To me, Zimmer handled the post-game questions perfectly, he certainly didn't throw Bailey under the bus but admitted that Bailey needs to perform better. Any coach would be frustrated with this kicking game the past two weeks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

Because it is their job. To me, Zimmer handled the post-game questions perfectly, he certainly didn't throw Bailey under the bus but admitted that Bailey needs to perform better. Any coach would be frustrated with this kicking game the past two weeks.

As they should. Maybe Zimmer has learned from past mistakes of giving up on kickers way too early after 1-2 games. Looking at Daniel Carlson. Obviously Bailey has more experience to get the benefit of the doubt but Zimmer’s made it known how he feels about kickers. It’s not an easy job in MN. 

4 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

They are humans.....if your boss disdained your job in general, fired all your predecessors quickly, and didn't endorse you publicly, how would you do? Especially if it happened over and over to others that had the job before you? 

Makes sense to ride out the season with Bailey.  Any outside free agent has to go through two weeks of quarantining prior to joining the team.

Another option would be to activate the kid off the practice squad and have two kickers active on game day.

10 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

They are humans.....if your boss disdained your job in general, fired all your predecessors quickly, and didn't endorse you publicly, how would you do? Especially if it happened over and over to others that had the job before you? 

The only one that was fired quickly was Carlson. Walsh was into his 3rd year with Zimmer when he got fired.  Carlson probably should have been cut after preseason, but once he got the job over Forbath (who was there for over a year), he had the shortest leash.  It should be noted too that Forbath has bounced around since then and Walsh has been out of the league for 3 years.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Has a recent coach been more screwed over by missed kicks then Zimmer? I honestly don't know. I mean I understand the guys frustrations with the position, the kickers are not without blame for his "disdain" for the position. We're all familiar with the history.

Zimmer hired in January 2014.

Blair Walsh misses 27 yard FG against Seattle to advance Vikings in 2015-16 playoffs.

Vikings cut Carlson, who replaced Forbath, after an 0-3 performance against the Packers that ended in a tie. Vikings went on to finish the year 8-7-1. Philadelphia got the 6 seed but the Vikings owned H2H tiebreaker from earlier in the year.

Bailey, now is struggling, coincidentally after Chase McLaughlin was signed off the PS for the Jaguars game. 

Perhaps I'm in the minority but I think Zimmer gets far too much blame for the kickers performances. He probably has a shorter temper then other coaches because he kickers miss kicks.

• Like 2