The Vikings (Not So) Special Teams Thread

SteelKing728

That's crazy...I think I vaguely recall the name, but that's about it.  But what's really screwing me up this year is that there are 2 players in this draft, one is Jermar Johnson and the other is Jamar Johnson and I keep wanting to say Jaymar Johnson.

• Like 2

On 4/14/2021 at 9:29 AM, swede700 said:

That's crazy...I think I vaguely recall the name, but that's about it.  But what's really screwing me up this year is that there are 2 players in this draft, one is Jermar Johnson and the other is Jamar Johnson and I keep wanting to say Jaymar Johnson.

Same. I had to do a double take.

I'm glad he got into coaching. Hopefully someday he'll be a fulltime ST coach or even further!

• 3 weeks later...

Bringing this back to the recent

With the change in coaching among the reasoning we are looking at full competitions at every level of special teams having added new kicker, punter, and long snappers after the draft as well as two significant returners who could be in line for both return jobs.

7 hours ago, solidvikingfan said:

Bringing this back to the recent

With the change in coaching among the reasoning we are looking at full competitions at every level of special teams having added new kicker, punter, and long snappers after the draft as well as two significant returners who could be in line for both return jobs.

new coach too.

12 hours ago, vike daddy said:

new coach too.

He's new to the responsibility, but not new...but I do expect him to take more from his Priefer years and implement them than what happened under this last guy.  It's crazy that this will be his 15th year with the Vikings.  

• 2 months later...

I was fairly bored working from home back in December so I decided to see just how bad the Vikings kicking "luck" has been under Zimmer. I tabulated all of the kicks made for and made against and compiled the data. It really shouldn't be all that shocking.

Since Zimmer was named HC in 2014 the Vikings rank:

PAT for: 32nd (89.92% made, the league average over that time was 94.55% - 4.64% below the league average.)

FG for: T28th (80.40% made, the league average over that time was 83.71% - 3.30% below the league average.)

PAT against: 1st (96.70% made against us, the league average over that time was 94.39% - 2.31% above the league average)

FG against: 2nd (88.25% made against us, the league average over that time was 83.96% - 4.29% above the league average)

Data current through 2020 season.

2014-15: Blair Walsh/Mike Priefer
2016-17: Kai Forbath/Mike Priefer (Walsh released 11/15/16)
2018: Dan Bailey/Mike Priefer (Carlson waived 9/17/18)
2019-20: Dan Bailey/Marwan Maalouf

• Like 6

On 7/22/2021 at 4:37 PM, VikeManDan said:

I was fairly bored working from home back in December so I decided to see just how bad the Vikings kicking "luck" has been under Zimmer. I tabulated all of the kicks made for and made against and compiled the data. It really shouldn't be all that shocking.

Since Zimmer was named HC in 2014 the Vikings rank:

PAT for: 32nd (89.92% made, the league average over that time was 94.55% - 4.64% below the league average.)

FG for: T28th (80.40% made, the league average over that time was 83.71% - 3.30% below the league average.)

PAT against: 1st (96.70% made against us, the league average over that time was 94.39% - 2.31% above the league average)

FG against: 2nd (88.25% made against us, the league average over that time was 83.96% - 4.29% above the league average)

Data current through 2020 season.

2014-15: Blair Walsh/Mike Priefer
2016-17: Kai Forbath/Mike Priefer (Walsh released 11/15/16)
2018: Dan Bailey/Mike Priefer (Carlson waived 9/17/18)
2019-20: Dan Bailey/Marwan Maalouf

Thanks for the post!

That data is gross, how can we be so bad for so long? 

• Like 2

Purple FTW just announced that Dede Westbrook just leaked to the press that he WILL sign a 1-year deal with The Vikings.  So, The Vikings could finally have a punt returner with NFL-level experience at it, as well as a 3rd WR who could replace Thielen, if he were to get hurt, and not be an embarrassment, and could be a decent ball control safety valve from the slot, to move the chains.  The Vikings again will have 5 sure-handed pass-catching options on crucial passing plays.  Let's hope the revamped OL will give Kirk enough time to look at at least 3, if not 4.  😎

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Am I forgetful, or does it seem like the Vikings last reliable kicker was Ryan Longwell?

Define reliable? Longwell had a couple of good years with the Vikings, mainly 2009. But I think the overall magic of 2009 sort of skews Vikings fans’ memory of him. 

But, Kai Forbath was very reliable for them. And even Blair Walsh was as reliable as you could expect from a kicker until the last kick of that fateful playoff game. 

• Like 1