Sign in to follow this  
BoltsFan937

2021 Draft talk

Well this season went in the toilet and we’re on the fast track to a possible top 5 pick.  With the Jets, Jags and Washington likely in the top 5, I feel like three QB’s could go top 3.  We have plenty of needs, but three prospects jump out to me as good fits for us. 
1. Penei Sewell - this is obvious and we’ve been screaming for a franchise LT for too long. Sewell has the skillset and nasty demeanor to anchor our line for the next decade plus

2. Patrick Surtain II -  Casey has started to decline and Mike Davis is well Mike Davis.  If Sewell is gone, the need is definitely there and Surtain has the talent to lock down one side of the field.

3. Ja’Marr Chase - Not the biggest need but this kid has superstar written all over him. Size and speed and looks like the next great LSU receiver. When you have the franchise QB, give him as many weapons as possible 

Well, based off what I've seen from Telesco, the only thing I can confidently say is he won't be trading down, barring a Godfather offer (and you typically have to be picking Top 2 - as bad as the Chargers are doing, that isn't happening - to get one of those).

Having Campen as the OL coach (and you can at least feel safe that he's staying, because Lynn isn't going anywhere until his contract is up... it's Dean, that's how Dean works; the players will have to have a demonstrable insurrection the way they did with McCoy to force Dean's hand), typically you can write off any OL (true centers aside) who wasn't a collegiate Tackle - which, to me, suggests he prioritizes athleticism and feet.  Sewell is scheme-proof IMO, so he's an obvious fit.  He is, however, also someone who I could see one of the teams people projecting to take a QB going for instead - and Tommy Boy getting caught with his pants around his ankles like he was when he and the personnel staff weren't projecting the Eagles to take Lane Johnson ahead of them, and lo and behold... DJ Fluker as the "next best."

I might have trouble seeing the team take him in the Top 5 (but that's me and my thinking on Telesco, who I'm learning to stop doubting that he'll forego traditional value to address what he perceives as a need), but if Sewell isn't there, I can see Creed Humphrey getting a hard look.  He's a plug-and-play true center.  I'm not sure he has the elite traits Campen looks for - Sewell does, that's obvious - which is the main reason I have trouble seeing the team going OL until Day 2, and possibly doubling-up there.

This feels to me like it could be one of those drafts similar to 2016 where everyone and their mother is projecting the Chargers to go one of two directions and Telesco has his mind made up on another top prospect from basically season's end.  I don't see an EDGE that locks into the Top 5-7 so cleanly as Bosa did in 2016, so I could definitely see "that guy" being (Sewell or) Surtain, even if I do feel Mike Davis has played well enough to earn an extension.