2021 Draft talk

BoltsFan937

Well this season went in the toilet and we’re on the fast track to a possible top 5 pick.  With the Jets, Jags and Washington likely in the top 5, I feel like three QB’s could go top 3.  We have plenty of needs, but three prospects jump out to me as good fits for us. 
1. Penei Sewell - this is obvious and we’ve been screaming for a franchise LT for too long. Sewell has the skillset and nasty demeanor to anchor our line for the next decade plus

2. Patrick Surtain II -  Casey has started to decline and Mike Davis is well Mike Davis.  If Sewell is gone, the need is definitely there and Surtain has the talent to lock down one side of the field.

3. Ja’Marr Chase - Not the biggest need but this kid has superstar written all over him. Size and speed and looks like the next great LSU receiver. When you have the franchise QB, give him as many weapons as possible 

Well, based off what I've seen from Telesco, the only thing I can confidently say is he won't be trading down, barring a Godfather offer (and you typically have to be picking Top 2 - as bad as the Chargers are doing, that isn't happening - to get one of those).

Having Campen as the OL coach (and you can at least feel safe that he's staying, because Lynn isn't going anywhere until his contract is up... it's Dean, that's how Dean works; the players will have to have a demonstrable insurrection the way they did with McCoy to force Dean's hand), typically you can write off any OL (true centers aside) who wasn't a collegiate Tackle - which, to me, suggests he prioritizes athleticism and feet.  Sewell is scheme-proof IMO, so he's an obvious fit.  He is, however, also someone who I could see one of the teams people projecting to take a QB going for instead - and Tommy Boy getting caught with his pants around his ankles like he was when he and the personnel staff weren't projecting the Eagles to take Lane Johnson ahead of them, and lo and behold... DJ Fluker as the "next best."

I might have trouble seeing the team take him in the Top 5 (but that's me and my thinking on Telesco, who I'm learning to stop doubting that he'll forego traditional value to address what he perceives as a need), but if Sewell isn't there, I can see Creed Humphrey getting a hard look.  He's a plug-and-play true center.  I'm not sure he has the elite traits Campen looks for - Sewell does, that's obvious - which is the main reason I have trouble seeing the team going OL until Day 2, and possibly doubling-up there.

This feels to me like it could be one of those drafts similar to 2016 where everyone and their mother is projecting the Chargers to go one of two directions and Telesco has his mind made up on another top prospect from basically season's end.  I don't see an EDGE that locks into the Top 5-7 so cleanly as Bosa did in 2016, so I could definitely see "that guy" being (Sewell or) Surtain, even if I do feel Mike Davis has played well enough to earn an extension.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m gonna remove Chase from consideration even though I feel his talent warrants it. With Keenan and Mike plus some of our younger guys and a solid free agent WR class, it just doesn’t make sense to spend a top five pick on receiver. Sewell is a no brainer, unfortunately he’s also a no brainer for the Bengals and maybe even the Cowboys. I’m not crazy about Rousseau, a lanky WR convert, kinda reminds me of Randy Gregory (sans off field issues).  A lot of talent/ability but years from putting it all together in my opinion.  If it’s DE I’m warming up to Kwity Paye, although top 5 is awful rich.  I like his teammate Hutchinson a lot too if we waited till round 2.  If we miss out on Sewell this is an IDEAL year to move down though.  Paye or Basham in a move down and you could have Farley or Horn available as well

1 hour ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Paye or Basham in a move down and you could have Farley or Horn available as well

I'll believe Telesco trades down the first time I see it actually happen.  Dude just plain doesn't do it, especially in the 1st round.  By all accounts, he's content to go by his board and take the highest-rated player on it (using pressing need as the tiebreaker), perceived "value" of the player/position (per consensus - media or otherwise) be damned.  For that reason, if the staff rates someone like Creed Humphrey highly, even though it might be viewed as a reach, I'd believe it's one they'd contently make.

Just not sure we’d value IOL in the top five. Telesco is from that Polian school of top 5 should be reserved for QB, LT or player that can sack said QB like DE or OLB like Von Miller. Although we did take Mike Williams at 7 which surprised me. I agree with you wholeheartedly about Telesco and the trade back, I highly doubt it.  It would make a lot of sense this year for us though. Surtain will check a lot of boxes too, multiple year starter, production, power 5 program....

On 12/2/2020 at 7:58 PM, BoltsFan937 said:

Just not sure we’d value IOL in the top five. Telesco is from that Polian school of top 5 should be reserved for QB, LT or player that can sack said QB like DE or OLB like Von Miller. Although we did take Mike Williams at 7 which surprised me. I agree with you wholeheartedly about Telesco and the trade back, I highly doubt it.  It would make a lot of sense this year for us though. Surtain will check a lot of boxes too, multiple year starter, production, power 5 program....

Had Derwin not slipped, Telesco was prepared to take Taven Bryan in the near Top 15.  If Telesco were to stick to premium positions, Surtain would probably be the pick, though I would rule out an EDGE player either - with Bosa extended, they'll likely look to carry the opposing edge rusher on a rookie deal (it's what a majority of team do), and Rochell will be out of contract in the spring (same as Ingram), while Nwosu's rookie deal will be up the following year.  Rousseau's stock has faded some a bit; he reminds me less of Randy Gregory and more of Zeke Ansah - particularly in how and where he wins.  I know @Duffman57 is also on the Kwity train, but I'd also throw out Georgia's Azeez Oljuara out there.  Length of body of work may be the biggest concern, but he's looked STRONG against SEC competition.  Really, really twitchy.  Great hands.  A motor that rivals Bosa's.  And he's good against the run.

I’ve got Paye slightly ahead of Ojulari at this point, but it’s close.  I think Paye is a little further along in development and has obviously more body of work, but the upside of Ojulari is sky high.  You could sell me on Ojulari though.  I also like Hutchinson, wish we could have seen more from him this year before he got hurt. 

Two of my favorite players to evaluate so far are Parsons and Pitts lol. Probably no chance we would draft either one though.  An edge to keep an eye for me is My’Jai Sanders from Cincinnati.  Could stand to put on 10-15 pounds but has some burst and bend to his game. Wouldn’t be a bad option at the top of the 2nd if we don’t go DE in the first

On 11/17/2020 at 7:21 PM, BoltsFan937 said:

1. Penei Sewell - this is obvious and we’ve been screaming for a franchise LT for too long. Sewell has the skillset and nasty demeanor to anchor our line for the next decade plus

2. Patrick Surtain II -  Casey has started to decline and Mike Davis is well Mike Davis.  If Sewell is gone, the need is definitely there and Surtain has the talent to lock down one side of the field.

Those are my wants in the 1st. Or trade down for a team moving up for a QB if they are both gone.

Not related to the upcoming draft but I’d like to take a moment to state the obvious. Tillery and Adderley have been abysmal up to this point in their careers. Still time to develop but total disappointments so far. Gonna give Adderley a little pass coming from Delaware and this being basically his rookie year, but man he’s been bad

Well, add Christian Darrisaw and Devonte Smith to the wishlist,  Been impressed by both.  Darrisaw would be a nice consolation if we miss out on Sewell.  Easy mover, plays with leverage, aggressive, finishes blocks - impressive.  Devonte Smith is putting up a year that could catapult him ahead of Chase in my opinion 

Looks like the Bengals will have the #3 pick which all but insures Sewell will be gone.  Would be an ideal year for a freaking trade back if the opportunity presented itself, but we all know that likely won’t happen with TT.  Surtain or Horn at CB, Cosmi, Slater, or Darrisaw at LT,  Chase, Waddle, Smith, Pitts at WR/TE, Paye, Ojulari at DE.  We have a good opportunity to grab a difference maker outside of Sewell

• 2 weeks later...

With Bosa out our already "meh" pass rush goes away. I think they use that as a reason to resign Ingram even though he was a shell of his normal self this year. Not sure what the best course would be but improving the rush should be fairly high on the priority list going forward.