Worst Franchise of All Time?

SpanosPayYourRent

What's your opinion on this, who do you think is the worst franchise. I'm making my pick off of all time, so the browns aren't my pick they where good before super bowl times and won a lot of championships so keep that in mind.

I have to say the Lions, they have been in the league since 1929 but they barely have produced Hall Of Famers except for Barry Sanders of course. They have never appeared in a super bowl but have won one NFL championship. There worst than the brown imo because of this simple fact. The lions where founded in 1929 browns? 1946 both have not appeared in a Super Bowl but both have one a NFL championship The lions in 1957 and browns in 1964. I don't know tell me how y'all feel about it and give me your opinion

A lot of this depends on how much you value championships, even if they were 40+ years ago. Or one championship vs. a terrible overall win loss record.

The contenders:

Tampa Bay Bucs - Worst all time win/loss %, very few notable players, no extended period of success. One Super Bowl win.

Arizona Cardinals - Two NFL championships but awful overall record. Moved a couple times. Not much in the way of memorable games or players other than their Super Bowl loss

Atlanta  Falcons - Surprisingly, the 3rd worst win % of all time and unlike TB/AZ, no championship. Their most memorable moment was the biggest collapse in Super Bowl history

Cleveland Browns - 8 NFL championships but they've been a joke franchise for 20+ years. Very few, if any, marketable/memorable players in the modern era. Bernie Kosar is their gold standard for a modern QB. Constantly in turmoil in the front office and, other than a couple of fluke years, a perennial bottom feeder with no end in sight. They do have a rabid and committed fan base.

New York Jets - A couple of semi-recent AFC championship trips but no real run of sustained success. One championship and a Super Bowl. Most well known former player embarrassed himself on national TV

Detroit Lions - 0-16 season, sustained failures, no success or anything resembling playoff success in the modern era.

2 hours ago, SpanosPayYourRent said:

What's your opinion on this, who do you think is the worst franchise. I'm making my pick off of all time, so the browns aren't my pick they where good before super bowl times and won a lot of championships so keep that in mind.

I have to say the Lions, they have been in the league since 1929 but they barely have produced Hall Of Famers except for Barry Sanders of course. They have never appeared in a super bowl but have won one NFL championship. There worst than the brown imo because of this simple fact. The lions where founded in 1929 browns? 1946 both have not appeared in a Super Bowl but both have one a NFL championship The lions in 1957 and browns in 1964. I don't know tell me how y'all feel about it and give me your opinion

Detroit Lions actually won 4 championships. If you're going to count 1957 (pre-Superbowl) why would you not count 1935, 1952 or 1953?

I think we might actually have to nominate San Diego here.  If you consider the fact that they were a 4th down drop away from not making their only Super Bowl in 1994 (which they promptly got blown out of), they've had some pretty bad stretches of incompetence and never seem to be able to truly turn the corner

13 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

I think we might actually have to nominate San Diego here.  If you consider the fact that they were a 4th down drop away from not making their only Super Bowl in 1994 (which they promptly got blown out of), they've had some pretty bad stretches of incompetence and never seem to be able to truly turn the corner

In their first 6 years, they made it to 5 AFL Champsionships and won 1 of them. They have some of the best players of all time (Seau, Winslow, Tomlinson, Fouts, Halworth, Gillman, Joiner) and have had a pretty good number of franchise QB's (longest stretch without one being 13 years between Fouts and Brees, and they made the SB in that stretch. Plus, they have one of the most important coaches of the modern era (Coryell).

Their overall W/L isn't good, and they've been a perennial tease when they've had talent. But I don't think they're close to being the worst franchise.

5 minutes ago, mcmurtry86 said:

In their first 6 years, they made it to 5 AFL Champsionships and won 1 of them. They have some of the best players of all time (Seau, Winslow, Tomlinson, Fouts, Halworth, Gillman, Joiner) and have had a pretty good number of franchise QB's (longest stretch without one being 13 years between Fouts and Brees, and they made the SB in that stretch. Plus, they have one of the most important coaches of the modern era (Coryell).

Their overall W/L isn't good, and they've been a perennial tease when they've had talent. But I don't think they're close to being the worst franchise.

Ah I more meant in the superbowl era.  Forgot about their early AFL days so I do think that would probably disqualify them here if it's taken into consideration 

Just now, mcmurtry86 said:

I think you're making an argument for them to be the worst?

Absolutely. Outside of that lone Super Bowl appearance the franchise has had nothing unless you go back to the 40s.  They have 10 playoff appearances in 119 years.

Just now, TheVillain112 said:

This should be between the Lions and Bengals...

A little surprised nobody mentioned them yet, because outside of a brief stretch of competence in the 80s decade, theyve been almost entirely irrelevant in the big picture of the NFL

9 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

Yeah, I know they are like top 5 probably

Archived