2021 NFL Head Coaching Candidates

tannenballs

7 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I always liked Morris. Was too young in TB and never got the QB situation figured out. I hope he does stay in Atlanta and gets them back to the playoffs.

I think if he does stick, the firing of Koetter is going to be required of him. And I honestly think he'll do it anyway. He's from the Walsh Tree through Gruden but Kyle Shanahan is also from that same tree through his dad and both have overlap under GRuden and their time in Atlanta together.

8 minutes ago, scar988 said:

I think if he does stick, the firing of Koetter is going to be required of him. And I honestly think he'll do it anyway. He's from the Walsh Tree through Gruden but Kyle Shanahan is also from that same tree through his dad and both have overlap under GRuden and their time in Atlanta together.

How is Koetter as an OC? If the Bills lose Daboll I suspect they’ may go the veteran OC route and Koetter is someone I’ve written down as a potential candidate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

How is Koetter as an OC? If the Bills lose Daboll I suspect they’ may go the veteran OC route and Koetter is someone I’ve written down as a potential candidate.

You don't want Koetter....   Its all vertical routes and long developing plays with 5-7 step drops.

I don't think Josh Allen would flourish in that type of offense IMO.

EDIT:  this is what he did during his time in TB...  Maybe he changed in ATL but I doubt it.

Edited by sryan66611
clarification
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, sryan66611 said:

You don't want Koetter....   Its all vertical routes and long developing plays with 5-7 step drops.

EDIT:  this is what he did during his time in TB...  Maybe he changed in ATL but I doubt it.

This. You really don't want Koetter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sryan66611 said:

Yeah the Bills don’t have the OL for that and they are at best when they can get their WRs the ball quickly and in open space 

11 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Here is the thing, Mike McDaniel may end up proving to be just as good of an offensive mind as any "offensive minded HC" that is hired. Just because Saleh is a defensive coach doesn't mean that team won't have a great offensive mind....Because Saleh will be bringing McDaniel with him where ever he goes. People are looking far too much into offensive or defensive hires. 

What’s keeping McDaniels from jumping ship to HC after only a year though at OC?

28 minutes ago, Xenos said:

What’s keeping McDaniels from jumping ship to HC after only a year though at OC?

Likely his personal history if we are going to be honest about it.  He has some issues. It will take some time to get that kind of significant interest with that kind of responsibility. I mentioned it in the Jax thread in the news forum. There's a good chance that Saleh will come with a little offensive stability because of McD's past... Of course, there is a chance that his personal demons come back, so it's certainly a risk still in some regard

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Likely his personal history if we are going to be honest about it.  He has some issues. It will take some time to get that kind of significant interest with that kind of responsibility. I mentioned it in the Jax thread in the news forum. There's a good chance that Saleh will come with a little offensive stability because of McD's past... Of course, there is a chance that his personal demons come back, so it's certainly a risk still in some regard

Interesting. Surprised that Shanahan didn’t just promote McDaniels himself to OC. How is he compared to LaFleur as an offensive mind?

Just now, Xenos said:

Interesting. Surprised that Shanahan didn’t just promote McDaniels himself to OC. How is he compared to LaFleur as an offensive mind?

Don't think it's close to be honest. Mcdaniel is very well regarded, far beyond Lafleur... Players love him and he's considered one of those guru / genius types. He's been with shanny everywhere. Houston. Washington. Cleveland. Atlanta. San fran. He's always been  pegged as a head coach in waiting if you were evaluating on his understanding, schemes, etc. 

But his drinking has nearly ruined multiple stops. It did ruin houston.  I think he's been very fortunate that he and shanny were tight. Shanny has brought him back after multiple relapses (must recent 2016, I believe). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Don't think it's close to be honest. Mcdaniel is very well regarded, far beyond Lafleur... Players love him and he's considered one of those guru / genius types. He's been with shanny everywhere. Houston. Washington. Cleveland. Atlanta. San fran. He's always been  pegged as a head coach in waiting if you were evaluating on his understanding, schemes, etc. 

But his drinking has nearly ruined multiple stops. It did ruin houston.  I think he's been very fortunate that he and shanny were tight. Shanny has brought him back after multiple relapses (must recent 2016, I believe). 

Sounds like it’s better that he stays as OC with Shanahan than leave with Saleh.

Just now, Xenos said:

Sounds like it’s better that he stays as OC with Shanahan than leave with Saleh.

And that's possible... But he's been open in interviews before about his desire to move forward and be an oc and eventually a hc. I  am not sure he'd leave for a random situation that just had an oc situation, but with saleh and likely others he'd be familiar with on the staff, I think he'd feel comfortable leaving in that situation

1 minute ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Is it too early to say Joe Brady? Offensive guys are all the rage nowadays, and Panthers have done a good job scheming guys open all year 

I think he's going to get a number of looks. Not sure if he lands a gig, but I think he's a legit contender for any he interviews for. 

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think he's going to get a number of looks. Not sure if he lands a gig, but I think he's a legit contender for any he interviews for. 

After seeing LSU offense last year and the Panthers' this year I would definitely have him in my top 3 options